Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon)

hypo

My wife and I flew out to Portland/ Seattle area and rented a pair of V-STROMS for our first "rent a motorcycle far from home" adventure last year. We put a LOT of miles under us while we were there. Saw the house from the GOONIES, got some ice cream and cheese at Tillamook, saw the original starbucks coffee house, the fish market. We circled Mt Olympus, went through Forks and La Push (for all you vampire freaks or married to vampire freaks.) We went out to Mt Rainier as well. ..but I think the best time we had was riding up to Mt St Helen and Mt Hood. Talk about technical riding, (Mt St Helens) we approached from the south, or the open bowl side that blew out, the switchbacks and ups and downs and twisties were fantastic... not to mention the views and the affects the explosion so many years ago STILL has on the landscaping. We came up over a hill that was a turn (you know the kind that you can't see the road at all and there's no guardrail) and as you banked into the right turn it felt like you were on a different planet or there was no sign of life at ALL on earth. very quiet, very EERIE CREEPY.

the the winds coming down the Columbia river were CRAZY. there were windsurfers out on the water, and the walls of the side of the mountains/hills just had the wind gusting along them, so when you came through one of the railroad tunnels your wheels kicked out to the left and you leaned into the wind... wish I had a picture of that. REALLY unnerving riding along at 65mph at a 45 degree angle driving STRAIGHT AHEAD.

We slept like rocks the entire trip. if you ever wonder about making a trip out there, DO IT. our next trip I want to take out to Montana or another location with beautiful views and sites, and some twisties and sweepers to enjoy as well.

and if you need to rent bikes, the guys at Northwest Motorcycle Adventures they will take great care of you.