Operation Plasti-F**k

cambo

Avid Rider
Yes....this is happening

No...not tonight. maybe.

Yes...I will only be doing the back wheel for now until I get a front stand

No...that is not all I'll be painting

Yes...I have a carefully planned out photoshop of how my bike will look when I'm done

No...I'm kidding, I do not. Spray and pray baby!

See ya'll on the other side!

cambo

Avid Rider
I really really can't wait to see what it will look like once it is finished. Keep photos coming! :D

haha, definitely dude...I expect to be completely done by this Saturday. So freakin' busy with work this week, I'm having to do everything late at night. It's midnight and I'm about to start taping off the wheel to get ready for the plasti dipping.

FZ8Ryder

Haha dang I know how that goes. Well good luck on it, I hope it all turns out well and you don't run into any problems.

Rotaryknight

Its going to suck when you have to clean off dirt or whatever off the rim after plastidip.

The whole rim is going to be red?

cambo

Avid Rider
Its going to suck when you have to clean off dirt or whatever off the rim after plastidip.

The whole rim is going to be red?

haha yup...thought about that...it is going to suck big time. originally I was just going to do the spokes so black would still be there to hide the dirt and grime. but, taping off the spokes is a pain in the ass and I'm not one who enjoys taking my time...so now the whole rim is going to be red. it's ok though, I youtubed how to clean plasti dipped rims and this guy has a great demo of the only product that has worked for him...he says he's gone through the gamut of cleaning products.

JSP

Administrator
Just did my forks and rear tire hugger not too long ago. Very happy with it.

JSP

Administrator

cambo

Avid Rider
Here's the progress so far:

Pic 1: Put about 5 coatings on the wheel and started on the engine guards. You can see my workspace...sucks. Can't wait to get a garage when I grow up.

Pic 2: Engine guard done and hanging up to dry

Pic 3: Before glossifier

Pic 4: After glossifier and the overspray ripped off the tire. Came off in an easy one piece. had to make sure to overspray a bit so it'd come off in one piece.

Pic 5: Tail piece frame thingy masked off

Pic 6: Tail piece frame thingy painted

All done for now...ran out of plasti dip so the right side isn't painted yet but it works out as it gives me some time to let everything cure. I'll admit I'm not too happy with the rim. too much red imo...but it's too late to turn back now. I'll ride it out for a bit. G'damn I love plasti dip though...the impatient man's dream!

Last edited:

master paper clip

It's pretty durable, I put on some thin test coats and that lasted a few months of heavy riding, I'm sure this will last a good amount of time

JSP

Administrator
It's pretty durable, I put on some thin test coats and that lasted a few months of heavy riding, I'm sure this will last a good amount of time

I have put a few miles on with my forks done... big nasty bugs, I assume small rocks, etc have hit it. No chips or anything. Good stuff.

cambo

Avid Rider
Went to button everything up this morning...only to be disappointed. Basically, the wheel turned out to be a giant fail...with air bubbles freaking everywhere, I have no idea how that happened. I shot a video so you can see...

But on the plus side...the red on the engine guards and frame has darkened significantly after it dried so I'm happy about that. I was afraid of a really bright 'ducati-esque' red.

Pic below is of the engine guard mounted. I'll have to touch it up a bit with more plasti dip whenever I get the new order in.

I also f*cked up the frame piece when ripping the painting tape off so I had to repaint that...luckily I had just enough left.

I'm going to research to see if there's a better tape that works with plasti dip...I'm finding it really difficult to get a fine cut off line...which is making painting the wheel hard to do. Also going to look for actual wheel painting tape...if there is such a thing. Non precurved, regular painting tape is a PITA.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsZPjBlUcdE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUVQ1MWtuGQe8DfR9A3DnOXQ]Motorcycle rim plasti dip fail - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

MarshMadness

They make a tape that has a steel wire on the edge of it. I have used it when spraying rhino liners down. Tape off like normal the steel wire cuts the rhino liner. If you just use normal tape you can't get the liner up. Don't remember who makes it but might be something to look for.
~James

cambo

Avid Rider
They make a tape that has a steel wire on the edge of it. I have used it when spraying rhino liners down. Tape off like normal the steel wire cuts the rhino liner. If you just use normal tape you can't get the liner up. Don't remember who makes it but might be something to look for.
~James

that is freaking awesome, thanks for the info man. Curious if this'll be as effective on plasti dip....plasti dip is really, really finicky. But I'll definitely give it a shot if I can find some. An effective tape would open a lot more doors into the plasti dipping world!

JSP

Administrator
For tape lines with plasti-dip, you have to pull the tape before the dip dries. Otherwise it will just lift the dip with it. So you will need a heavy coat then pull tape. Its a bit hard to do.

cambo

Avid Rider
For tape lines with plasti-dip, you have to pull the tape before the dip dries. Otherwise it will just lift the dip with it. So you will need a heavy coat then pull tape. Its a bit hard to do.

thanks for the tip Jay...your right, that would be cumbersome...but if that's what it takes to get the finished product I want... may have to deal with it!

On that note, I finished up the body work this afternoon. Thankfully it was raining so I wasn't tempted to use my day off to do other things. I ended up having just enough plasti dip left to finish the right side of the bike so all that's left to do is the wheel. Just waiting on more plasti dip!

Here's a shot of the bike sans rear wheel.

JSP

Administrator
Looks really good! Really pops! I think it goes great with the red wheel stripes... Full red wheels may be too much?