One down, two up

SpunkyTheTuna

Finally got around to installing my 520 chain conversion. Went down one tooth in the front to a 15, and up two in the rear to a 48. In a single word, WOW!:eek5:

Now, I'm an olde pharte and I'm not a stuntah or a big time wheelie guy, but when I crank on the wick and I can feel the front tire just skimming along the pavement, it feels like this bike should have in the first place.

Not a cheap change, but when it gets time to replace chains-n-sprockets, I'd highly recommend it.

Gonna go back out and ride until dawn. See ya!

H

Hoover

I'm not a fan of going down on the front, but up on the rear, absolutely
Once my stock chain is shot, I will go 2 or 3 up on the rear and switch to 520.

lothodon

Super Moderator
correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you just do the sprocket change and not the chain (if your chain is still good)? my r1 was able to do so, -1 +2 and the chain was still usable without modifications.

Speedo007

I changed mine at 20000km but was probably still good for another 10000km.
You won't be able to keep the stock chain cause it's not long enough for the +2 on the rear sprocket, so that's why you need to change all at once.

SpunkyTheTuna

I changed mine at 20000km but was probably still good for another 10000km.
You won't be able to keep the stock chain cause it's not long enough for the +2 on the rear sprocket, so that's why you need to change all at once.

In addition, I went from a 525 chain to a 520, so I had to switch both sprockets.