OK - I'm done...for now

Emohawk

Just posted this pic in another thread, but here it is again with a summary of the mods I've done. Purely cosmetic here. I have no desire to go crazy with performance mods. When I get a chance (i.e. when I remember to do it) I'll get a better pic in daylight.

Mods:
- R&G Tail Tidy
- Motodynamic clear tail light with integrated signals
- Motodynamic flush mount front signals/running lights
- TCP Aerodynamics lower fairings
- OEM frame sliders (no-cut with the TCP bodywork)
- Dual low beam mod

Why Yamaha included a dual-filament bulb/reflector for the high beam side & didn't wire in the low beam filament is still a mystery to me. Relay, 5 spade plugs, 2 ring connectors, inline fuse, a few feet of wire, and an hour or less to install (for me). $25, $30 at most, and that's retail!

Items still on the maybe to do list:
- Touring windscreen
- Soft bags (if I can find something I like)
- Additional front signals to augment the flush mounts (maybe a pair of Custom Dynamics TruFlex 15-LED strips mounted to the front edge of the lower fairings or front of upper cowl)
- Gel grips
- Saddle upgrade
- Maybe the Akra street legal can, purely for looks & tone
- Maybe signals/running lights in the faux vents in the real cowl

Well, maybe I'm not done...but for the moment at least I am!

Kirb

[]V[]addog

looks real nice man! you have done alot of what I want to do to mine!... when i pick it up next week, ha ha.
have you thought about replacing the mirrors with ones that have integrated blinkers to augment the flush mounted ones on your fairings.... that's my plan.
have you ahd to take the fairing off for an oil change yet? I'm wodnering how easy it is.

Emohawk

looks real nice man! you have done alot of what I want to do to mine!... when i pick it up next week, ha ha.
have you thought about replacing the mirrors with ones that have integrated blinkers to augment the flush mounted ones on your fairings.... that's my plan.
have you ahd to take the fairing off for an oil change yet? I'm wodnering how easy it is.

I have looked at a number of turn signal mirrors and haven't found anything to my liking. I did try a couple of ebay options & although the signals were nice & bright it was impossible to position the mirrors for any rear visibility at all. I've considered modding the stock mirrors but if I mess it up they're pricey to replace. If you can find anything or come up with modding ideas, please share!

I haven't had the fairings off for an oil change yet (soon though). It shouldn't be too bad. 3 screws & 3 or 4 of those center pin plastic snap rivets to take the left side off. No worse than my old Ninja 650R was.

greenturbo

Just posted this pic in another thread, but here it is again with a summary of the mods I've done. Purely cosmetic here. I have no desire to go crazy with performance mods. When I get a chance (i.e. when I remember to do it) I'll get a better pic in daylight.

Mods:
- R&G Tail Tidy
- Motodynamic clear tail light with integrated signals
- Motodynamic flush mount front signals/running lights
- TCP Aerodynamics lower fairings
- OEM frame sliders (no-cut with the TCP bodywork)
- Dual low beam mod

Why Yamaha included a dual-filament bulb/reflector for the high beam side & didn't wire in the low beam filament is still a mystery to me. Relay, 5 spade plugs, 2 ring connectors, inline fuse, a few feet of wire, and an hour or less to install (for me). $25, $30 at most, and that's retail!

Items still on the maybe to do list:
- Touring windscreen
- Soft bags (if I can find something I like)
- Additional front signals to augment the flush mounts (maybe a pair of Custom Dynamics TruFlex 15-LED strips mounted to the front edge of the lower fairings or front of upper cowl)
- Gel grips
- Saddle upgrade
- Maybe the Akra street legal can, purely for looks & tone
- Maybe signals/running lights in the faux vents in the real cowl

Well, maybe I'm not done...but for the moment at least I am!

Kirb

looken good man.
curious how the "flush mouts" worked for you up front?

Emohawk

looken good man.
curious how the "flush mouts" worked for you up front?

I think I posted a thread about that. They're OK, but still not as bright/visible as I'd like. Not as sweet as their tail light, that's for sure. It is a much tidier look than the stock bug eyes but I'm not 100% happy with them - not on their own at least.

[]V[]addog

I have looked at a number of turn signal mirrors and haven't found anything to my liking. I did try a couple of ebay options & although the signals were nice & bright it was impossible to position the mirrors for any rear visibility at all. I've considered modding the stock mirrors but if I mess it up they're pricey to replace. If you can find anything or come up with modding ideas, please share!

I haven't had the fairings off for an oil change yet (soon though). It shouldn't be too bad. 3 screws & 3 or 4 of those center pin plastic snap rivets to take the left side off. No worse than my old Ninja 650R was.

i came from a 650r as well! ha ha

Emohawk

The Ninja was my re-starter bike. I hadn't been riding in about 18 years at that point. I had planned to upgrade after a couple years but never found anything to my liking so I rode it for 5 seasons. Nice little bike, especially for a starter.

I had looked at a blue Fazer8 & liked it, but when I saw a black one last summer I had to have it...so I did! Love this thing. I didn't realize how much I missed having a 4-cyl.

Last edited:

Bajaedition

the reason they do not have a dual filament bulb on both sides is for DOT reasons. Seems the DOT limits the amount of Watts of bulbs a bike can have on low beams. So having both on is illegal. however I do not think you will ever get pulled over for that unless some cop wants a reason to pull you over. Most cops could care less.

Emohawk

the reason they do not have a dual filament bulb on both sides is for DOT reasons. Seems the DOT limits the amount of Watts of bulbs a bike can have on low beams. So having both on is illegal. however I do not think you will ever get pulled over for that unless some cop wants a reason to pull you over. Most cops could care less.

Interesting, but also curious. Plenty of bikes run dual low-beams stock, don't they? I see them all the time here in Newfoundland. These cats can't all be doing this type of mod. :)

Emohawk

Must be different up here. I saw at least a dozen on the way home from work today. 55w per light maybe? Max 2...similar to autos?

Last edited:

Bajaedition

55max,one light on cycles, I think it is stupid but that is the way it is.

it is found under US DOT regulation 10.17xxx
where it states that motorcycle headlamp systems are one half of a 2 or 4 beam system
now after going through the entire thing you will see where a 2 or 4 light system can have 2 lights of 55 watts for low beams, so it can only haave 1 for low, however it can have 4 on during high (2 low 2 high) so that means 1 high and 1 low on high.
basically it says that low beams can be on during high beam activation that is why you can have 2 lights during high beams, they also say that during high beamsthat fog lamps must go off and stupid rules like that, the regs are very long but once you figure out the navigation system it flows pretty well

Last edited:

Emohawk

55max,one light on cycles, I think it is stupid but that is the way it is.

it is found under US DOT regulation 10.17xxx
where it states that motorcycle headlamp systems are one half of a 2 or 4 beam system
now after going through the entire thing you will see where a 2 or 4 light system can have 2 lights of 55 watts for low beams, so it can only haave 1 for low, however it can have 4 on during high (2 low 2 high) so that means 1 high and 1 low on high.
basically it says that low beams can be on during high beam activation that is why you can have 2 lights during high beams, they also say that during high beamsthat fog lamps must go off and stupid rules like that, the regs are very long but once you figure out the navigation system it flows pretty well

It does sound rather convoluted. :)

But, as I say, I've seen dozens of dead stock bikes up here with dual low beams & quad lamp systems. I may ask some cop friends on the weekend if I think of it. Can't imagine it'll ever be a problem.