Oil viscosity

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Switching to full synthetic and reading/searching, alot are using rotella t or mobil 1 4t. But what viscosity should I use? I think the mobil1 4t is only available in 10w-40. Are you using 10w-40,15w-40 or 20w-50? Opinions?

Harrywz

Switching to full synthetic and reading/searching, alot are using rotella t or mobil 1 4t. But what viscosity should I use? I think the mobil1 4t is only available in 10w-40. Are you using 10w-40,15w-40 or 20w-50? Opinions?

I've been using Kawasaki 10w-40 synthetic, good all round weight for my riding area (fall and spring temps drop below 32F). 20w-50 is good if you are in an area with moderate to hot temperatures or if you change out for fall and spring with a lighter viscosity.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I use 10-40 in the spring and fall when temps are cool in the morning. 20-50 during the hot summer months. I think i used mobile 1 last time, Yamalube before that.

AlCab

The owner's manual has a chart that shows what viscosity to use depending on the range of temps you ride in.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
The owner's manual has a chart that shows what viscosity to use depending on the range of temps you ride in.
I looked through the manual but didn't see that, I'll look again thanks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

rug_burn

I use Mobil 1 15w-50 available at Walmart in 5 qt containers- about $25. Often you have to look for the 15-50 stuff- it seems to sell out first.
I've had this stuff in my Valkyrie for 12,000 miles and it just seems like it beginning to get dirty. It'll look dark brown, but you can still see through it.
I used to use Lucas 20w-50 full synthetic until they raised the price to $9 a quart. It was actually even better- at about 10,000 miles, it looked about as dark as maybe tea, or thin coffee. At 15,000, it was beginning to get a dark color, like strong coffee, but was still thick when cold, and felt like it hadn't broken down at all.