Oil Level ?

the borg

Ok, I changed my oil and filter today at 650 miles. I followed the owners manual and added 3.28 US quarts. I let it run for a few minutes and checked the sight glass with bike level. The oil level is above the maximum line on the sight glass. Did I add to much oil? Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

lothodon

Super Moderator
you have to realize that when you drain the oil you don't actually drain ALL of the oil. when you add oil you don't need to use the FULL capacity of the bike as there is old oil in there as well.

how much above the line are you, and is it warm or cold oil?

the borg

Ok, this never happened on my ZRX1100. I always went by the owners manual and it was perfect. I just went out and drained a little oil out of the FZ8 and now the level is just above half way in the sight glass. Thanks.

H

Hoover

Same here.
I have been putting only 3 quarts in since my first change as it was over filled at 3.25.
Thats with a filter change too.

lmracefan

Oil Change

My manual says 3.1 quarts of oil when replacing oil & filter. That's what I used and it's perfect in the site glass.

Coolslice

I changed mine this morning and put in 3 quarts (with a new filter) and it seems to be fine, but any more would have been too much.