Oil level when bike is cold vs warm - do I need a top up?

nando

Hi Guys,

To check the oil level, we have the oil glass on the right side of the bike, towards the bottom. There is a "low" arrow and a "high" arrow at the bottom and top of the glass.

My question is in relation to whether I need to worry about my oil level:

- When I check my oil level when the bike is cold and not running, it is just just just above the "low" arrow

- When I check my oil level when the bike is warm and at a traffic light, I am then just below the "high" arrow. About 80% of the glass

And yes, all check done when the bike is level!

Is there something for me to worry about? Do I need to top up or is everything ok?

Thanks
Nando

Bram

What you are describing sounds not logical to me.

When the bike is not running, there is no circulation of oil, so all the oil is gathered in the oil pan. This should be the Maximum level of oil at the oil glass.

When the bike is running, the oil pump circulates oil in the engine, resulting in way less oil being stationary gathered in the oil pan.

So what i'm trying to say is that when you check the oil when the bike is off, there should be more oil visible than when the bike is running.

I hope you understand what i'm trying to explain :p

note: i'm not an engineer so I could be wrong...

Nemo

when my bike is running , there is nothing in the window at alll , since the oil is moving all auround into the motor... same as bram said

nando

Thanks both...

What I will do is carry out another check AND take some photos, hopefully that will help.

Will post it all once I have it hopefully over the weekend.

Larry P

Probably more info than needed but the FZ8 uses a wet sump where you check the oil when it's cold. When the engine gets warm it expands and gets drawn out by the pump. If you're seeing it at the high mark while warm its probably just expanded from the heat. The diff from low to high won't be a quart or anything huge. A lot of euro bikes use dry sump which costs more by design but alleviates issues with gravity moving the oil.

Woody146

Banned
I've been semi questioning this too. My question is...how are you guys measuring your oil? When you measure it out...you don't have to worry about too much or too little. I use a mx mix container for gas and oil..only goes,up to 500 ml...bike takes 3100 ml

Fazer 8

It's a good question.
I changed my oil last Saturday. Spec sheet said that it should take 3.1 litres if the oil filter was changed. Well, I didn't even pour in 3 full bottles of oil and my oil level is now a little high when the bike is warmed up. The owner's manual instructions seem to suggest that the engine (and the oil) should indeed be fully warmed up when checking the oil level. Next time I will only fill it halfway up the sight glass with cold oil, and see where it ends up.

9 Lives

As long as the oil is somewhere between the top and bottom of the glass when level and engine NOT running your good to go. I find that 3 quarts of oil is perfect, right on the top fill line. I found that 3 liters is just a bit too much, right at the top on of the window but not so much that it would make any difference. I think when they say 3.1 liters that would be how much that would be needed to fill a new engine, when changing the oil/filter you never get all of the oil out, there will always be a bit left in oil galleries ect.

Woody146

Banned
As long as the oil is somewhere between the top and bottom of the glass when level and engine NOT running your good to go. I find that 3 quarts of oil is perfect, right on the top fill line. I found that 3 liters is just a bit too much, right at the top on of the window but not so much that it would make any difference. I think when they say 3.1 liters that would be how much that would be needed to fill a new engine, when changing the oil/filter you never get all of the oil out, there will always be a bit left in oil galleries ect.

Thanks! Will do 3 q not 3 l next time!