Oil Change question

I officially did my 600 mi oil change. My question to anybody is how often do you replace that washer/gasket on the draig plug? My old bike said to do it every oil change, but I never did.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Your 600 mile oil change is a lot more than an oil change. It's like a kids first doctor appointment after its born. Did all the rubber and synthetic materials seat right? Where there chunks of metal in the filter?

Always change your washer. Everytime. You should be using a washer that crushes when pressure is applies, meaning it's good for one tightening only

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

RoadKill

yeah i put a new one in every time i change the oil. i get about ten from the stealership at a time.

lyric911

I officially did my 600 mi oil change. My question to anybody is how often do you replace that washer/gasket on the draig plug? My old bike said to do it every oil change, but I never did.

I've been changing my own oil for about 15 years. I've never replaced a crush washer. I've never had my oil leak at the drain plug. YMMV.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Yeah, oil looks brand new, I plan of sifting it through a screen to be sure though. Oil filter looked clean as well.

Nice :) I always run a magnet through the pan after. Old paranoid habit I guess. I used to do it to get the bolt out when I dropped it lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

pigdog

me too, never had a leak but here's a cool tip. you just broke the oil drain plug loose after a long cool down, 30 minutes. loosen the drain plug slowly until you catch the first 3 or4 drops of oil. if any, water droplets will drop first. water. not good. more than a few water drops could ware or seize your engine. bla bla