Ohlins Rear Shock Installation

EugeneORFZ8

Trooper

I believe that Ohlins sends installation instructions with their shocks...but its not that complicated. The most complicated part is finding a way to raise the back end to keep the shock in full extension in order able to remove and then install the new one.

Did you get the reservoir or non reservoir one?

EugeneORFZ8

F

Fazed

It's quite easy. Just make sure that the rear wheel is hanging naturally by lifting the bike from the middle.

SpunkyTheTuna

Lifted mine with my rear stand (I've got spools on the swingarm) and rested the footpeg brackets on jackstands. Took off the side covers for access to the top mounting bolt. Unfastened the bottom of the shock at the bracket and lowered the swingarm by dropping the rear stand after wrapping the shock in a towel. Unbolted the top of the shock and weaseled it out of the bike. Wrapped the new shock in a towel and reverse weaseled it into place and replaced the top mounting bolt, loosely. Ran a 2X4 under the rear wheel and levered the swingarm up until I could slip the mounting bolt through the shock and bracket. Tightened up the top and bottom mounting bolts, lifted the bike with the rear stand, pulled the jackstands, replaced the side covers, finished my cigar and went for a ride. TaDAAAAAAAHHH!

Nothing hard about it. Wrap that shock with a towel so you don't scratch up the swingarm. Other than that, it's easy.