Numbness in the hands

cambo

Avid Rider
awesome dude...curious how this'll hold up after rain. funny you posted this topic...today I noticed my hands starting to get really numb lately...after only a 40 mile commute. I never noticed it before...

thach1130

This is slightly off topic but any one thought about swapping to the handlebar of a BMW F800R? The handle bar droop down slightly and make a more comfortable angle which you grip the the throttle. I find my wrist hurt slightly from rotating my wrist as the grip rise upward. Check out the image below to understand what i mean. The BMW is on the bottom right. grip is point downward.

97audia4

Hello all. So i was getting this problem of my hands getting numb. So I bought these:

Grab On Grips Grip Cover - Fits From 1.25in. to 1.45in. OD - 5in.L MC402:Amazon:Automotive

They are foam handle grips that you slide on top of the current grips. Use hairspray to lube them up and they will slide without removing the weights. Then cut the excess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

how hard are you holding the bars? you shouldnt be squeezing at all just holding them really. It sounds like you are holding on tight and the vibrations are causing your hands to go numb bc of fatigue.

decooney

Haha No,
On the first page I posted a poll/vote thread if you are interested. Vote is split so far...
Look for "Why do my hands go numb" poll.

Rotaryknight

The only time I felt numbness was when I was gripping the bars too hard. As 97audia4 said, vibration can and will cause fatigue to your hands and numbing them. When I am riding on the highway for 30+ miles, I tend to coast with the clutch in and stretch my throttle hand, opening and closing them, and flexing it backwards on my thighs, and then continue on my way. I ride one handed so much it is becoming a habit of stretching the hands, left and right.

[]V[]addog

the bmw bars look like they might solve a part of the issue, but then it also looks liek they come back a bit... i fill liek that would make it hav emroe pressure on the outside of your palm...

decooney

In a few weeks I'm switching to some new bars similar to the lower left photo thac1130 posted above. Different angle, width, and rider position. I'm hoping it will answer some other questions I have about rider position, and numbness in the wrist and hands. I find the stock handlebars on the FZ8 to be a bit odd for me.

lancercanada

my right hand only gets like that after riding over an hr stright, ever since i bought a trotle lock im good. best 20 bucks i ever spent on the bike

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I used to get numbness, then I started using my arms for steering, not support. Boom, no numbness. Well maybe a bit after a tank or two

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

ssky0078

Consider the sources of vibration.

1. Transmission: you have a chain drive motorcycle, adjust your chain, keep it well lubed (insert lewd comment, laugh, grin here) and replace.

2. Engine: You have an inline 4. Buy yourself a Morgan Carbtune, do a throttle body sync. Do it at idle set correctly between 1100-1300 rpm and at 4000 rpm. When the all four cylinders are firing in sync the engine produces less vibration.

Consider the structural components of the motorcycle and their effect on vibration.

1. Bars, Grips, and Bar Ends: All 3 of these can be set up in such a way to absorb the vibrations generated by the engine and transmission. Heavier bars or filled with BarSnake or sand or silicone, gel grips and heavier bar ends

2. Checking the torque on the engine mounts

3. Checking the alignment of the wheels

Consider the anatomical position of the body

1. Hand/Wrist position: You want the levers and angle of the bars to be in such a way that the wrist is neutral. When the levers are too high the wrist and hand are dorsi-flexed, causing constriction through the carpal tunnel and potentially irritating the nerves there.

2. Neck/Shoulder complex. The nerves of the hand originate from the cervical spine (neck) and pass through the anterior (front) part of the shoulder in what is called the brachial plexus. Depending on the riders history, previous accidents, age, injuries, work activity, etc. There may be some level of cervical degenerative disc disease, cervical radiculopathy, osteophyte complexes, braxial plexopathy, etc coming on. Physical therapy, neck strengthening and shoulder mobility can help free up the cause of the nerve irritation.