NOT THIS QUESTION AGAIN!!!!!

M3D1C_Dan

I'll be honest, the last Yammy I owned was a TZR125 about 18 years ago, and whilst the reliability and fun factor paved a step to me moving up the engine ranking to a Kwak ZXR400, Bandit 600 then 1200, back down to the Gixxer 600, I am actually looking for something more practical in the form of a return to the mid range nakeds. I also added a Honda Grom (or Honda MSX125 as the UK is more familiar with) to my lineup last october, and it didn't take long before I started modding it. It now has a Finbro 183cc big bore kit added and pushes 80+ mph with a standard gearing setup.

I've looked at a few (in the flesh and on the web) but am yet to test ride any – I'll come to how I arrived here in a bit.

Last week I took a ride over to Hollingworth Lake in Rochdale, Lancs (for those who know it), and saw a couple of Yamaha MT09s strutting their stuff. This set a ball rolling and I took a ride to my local baike dealership on Monday this week and had a look at a few nakeds. The line up was as follows:-

Yamaha MT09 – Wasn't overly impressed on the comfort or shape of tank if I'm honest, but I did see a Yamaha ER6 – wasn't keen on the looks so passed it by.
Kawasaki Z750R – larger seat and comfier, lower feel to the MT09. However the reviews I've come across over the past few days aren't the best compared to other nakeds, it's quite a heavy bike which I wasn't overly impressed with when I had the bandit 1200, and only weighing in at 12 stone and 5'7", I simply could'nt be arsed with lugging something bulky around again, so I looked up the Suzuki GSR750 – again, I'm more than familiar with the reliability of the Suzuki engine and the GSXR derivative GSR engine would more than likely yield a similar ride. Unfortunately the FZ8 has reaped only good comebacks.

So here I am. Posied with questions. Seeking real, honest positives as well as negetives on the bike. I wanna every good and bad point on these, and there will be some crap parts that let it down I know. What are common flaws and bits the majority swap, change, modify and upgrade from stock.

We all know manufacturers throw shit parts on their bikes at certain points. I wanna know what to look out for.

Have any of you guys made the move from a sport bike like I have, to the FZ8 and regretted it (deep down), or have you never looked back.

The main reason I'm looking to go back to upright nakeds is largely due to the following:
1. I'm bored
2. The gixxer is tempting me to thrash it
3. I'm not a knee-down rider anyway – more a steady Eddy with momentary lapses of BAAARRPPP!!!!! as an when safe to do so
4. My job depends on me retaining my licence and the Gixxer for all intense and purposes a road legal track bike that I don't ride properly
5. It's not a practical bike for commuting or camping weekends

Any help you guys can offer will be much appreciated.

So I ring up a local dealer (elsewhere) and pick their brains. They tell me they have a Yamaha FZ8 2010 in stock. Now I'm not averse to knowing my bikes inside-out until I come to want to buy one, so I'm not 100% up on whats what out there in this range.

I've done a small amount of leg work on reviews for the FZ8 and like the looks, the perfomance reviews and overall cred this bike punches. I'm hoping this bike will be my next acquisition, but it depends on what I can get either as a P.X. on the gixxer or a private sale.
They're wanting 4.5k (GBP) for this bike in white, 2010 reg, Akrapovic exhaust the only mod and with just over 4k miles on the clock and one owner from new, it looks like a nice, tidy bike.

I'd be extremely interested in your views, pointers, considerations etc on this ,but beyond this, I look forward to contributing to the site and hopefully I'll be around for some time.

Teslank

the fz8 wont help you retaining your license, thats for sure :D

overall, you will be more satisfied in the long run in terms of ride quality, AND it is almost -or- more powerful than the 600 gixxer , the hp numbers arent the only thing, the fz8 have alot of bottom torque and an incredible 6-7k rpm hp boost (warp drive engaged!)

i suggest you do a good test ride, like an hour or so :)

M3D1C_Dan

Thanks for the (only ) response on this Teslank.

I do intend taking it for a test spin, t'would be crazy not to. I just think that practicality-wise, the FZ8 has more scope for things like commuting, carrying luggage for camping/touring etc, than the GSXR has, plus I also can't help feeling that I don't clock enough miles on the Gixxer due to it being a summer, dry-weather machine that doesn't really sit well in the wet, especially with Pirelli Diablos on.

The only thing I was concerned about with the FZ8 was the reviews saying it had to be in the 5k rpn before it pulled, but top speed isn't my be-all and end-all, but low end torque is always an advantage.

I'll agree with Teslank. I've had my FZ8 for two years now. Never one issue or problem (that wasn't caused by myself) so its a reliable machine.
i'm 6'2" and about 90kg but i feel comfortable and enjoy the ride and only feel some pain due to the seat after about two or so hours.
Regarding what you heard about the bike needing to be around 5k for some pull.....sadly i agree with that statement. Now, i have not flashed my ECU or put a PCV on my bike but i've re-geared it and that helped out a lot with the -1+2 sprockets and that seemed to help with that lack of mid-range you describe. Still need to get my speedo fixed with a healer though to correct the odo.
The rear shock is trash. Honest opinion. Satan666 adapter and r1 shock will solve that fast.
One last personal opinion... the stock rubber is junk too. But we all saw that coming.
I havent sold it yet and still get the "what kind of bike is that?!" from people out in the public. It'll be staying in the arsenal for a while.
Hope this helps you out!

Fazer 8

I picked up an '13 Fazer 8 last year to replace my '02 V-Strom which was getting long in the tooth.
I find it a pretty comfy bike, for what it is, which is to say quite a bit sportier than my old V-Strom,with quite a bit less leg room. Seat doesn't work great for me though. I got a Shad seat, but it's still not ideal.
Performance I find quite satisfying. It doesn't have quite the mid-range in the 4k-6k rpm range that my V-Strom did, especially in the 5k to 6k range where this is a bit of a flat spot. From 6k up to redline it pulls as hard as I need a bike to pull.
It's not as good for touring on as my V-Strom (with oversized windscreen) was - tighter riding position, less comfortable seat, less wind protection. But it's a lot more fun in the twisties.
I don't commute on it a lot, but when I do I find it better than my V-strom was - lighter, seats me a little closer to the ground, and pretty much flawless fuelling from about 2,500 rpm up.
I'm looking to replace the rear shock. I had a fully adjustable (high and low speed compression, rebound, hydraulic preload) Elka on my Vee and it was fantastic. The stocker on the '13s and later is adequate, but barely, and is apparently better than the one on earlier model years.

Blackfin

I went up from a CBR500R to my '11 Fazer 800 last year. I love this bike and keep modding it for fun.

Pros:
- great sound with a Yoshi R77 and an Akra race header :)
- comfy rider triangle
- handles well despite milquetoast suspension
- good wind protection at highway speeds (Fazer bodywork)

Cons:
- gravity conspires with the OE seat to push me down toward the tank, squashing the lads a bit
- could use bit more oomph (maybe I'm just used to it...), or...
- ... could stand to be 20-lbs lighter
- Fazer bodywork has a bit of a hook-nose look from certain angles; might be an acquired taste for naked fans

The bike is more than fast enough for the street/highway, it handles well, it looks good, it's reliable, it's comfortable, gets decent fuel economy and it's even easy (relatively) on insurance. What's not to like?

M3D1C_Dan

Some awesome reading here guys, thank you.
Not familiar with the ECU mods of flashing etc and PCV thingumabobs, but I'm sure there's plenty of 'How To's on here somewhere. If any knows where they are, any video instructionals (even better) the links etc would be good