Noob Moment #2

cambo

Avid Rider
Soooo...

There I was. At a crowded DC traffic light. I had just pulled off the highway and approached the light as it just turned red so I knew it was going to be a while before it went green again.

Did what I usually do at a long light: knocked it into neutral, opened up the face shield to let the cool morning air in, let go of the handlebars, and just sat back and chilled...letting my A.D.D. take over as I took in the surroundings. Squirrel! Another Squirrel! Oh hey another motorcycle! whoa a plane!

Well, once the environmental stimulation dies down...my own stupid thoughts enter my head.

This thought in particular went, "Hey? I wonder what happens if I step on the shifter without pulling in the clutch. I shouldn't be able to put it in gear right?"

Wrong.

I stepped on that sucker, it went into first, and the bike stalled and jerked so violently forward I almost went backwards off the bike. Luckily I didn't and instead I got a nice little embarassing whiplash as my head snapped back and then forward lol!

And of course there's cars all around me to witness it too. and of course the light turns green right as this happens so now they have to wait for me to restart the engine again. and of course it takes me a while to realize that I'm now in gear and I can't start the bike without pulling in the clutch.

cars are honking, I'm breaking into a cold sweat, I want my mommy....but I collected myself and got outta there.

The end....until the next embarassing situation...

Last edited:

xXAvroArrowXx

Hahahahahaaahaha. Things that we do and thinking back afterwards think to ourselves "wow; I'm a turd."..... We all do it, most just don't post about it. 😬

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

cambo

Avid Rider
Hahahahahaaahaha. Things that we do and thinking back afterwards think to ourselves "wow; I'm a turd."..... We all do it, most just don't post about it. ��

- Avro

hahaha yeah no kidding, And it's ok for me though, I have zero self pride so I'm often quick to put myself out there if it means even just one person will get a chuckle out of it haha ;)

mission accomplished!

9 Lives

Awesome story, LMFAO. I too do the same thing at a long stop light, it never crossed my mind to kick it into gear just for the hell of it, but if it did I am sure I would do the same thing.

cxa0897

I used to put it into neutral, now I just turn the bike off at the light if its lengthy. its particularly useful on hills since being in gear holds the bike in place.

just to share a noob story myself, I was involved in an emergency braking scenario when I first started a few months back, and forgot to downshift completely. once I started to go again after the quick stop, I was in fourth or fifth gear and stalled out blocking even more traffic. then, I had to rock back and forth to keep downshifting. to first. what a disaster that was... cars honking, people yelling, the whole shabang.

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
I used to put it into neutral, now I just turn the bike off at the light if its lengthy. its particularly useful on hills since being in gear holds the bike in place.

just to share a noob story myself, I was involved in an emergency braking scenario when I first started a few months back, and forgot to downshift completely. once I started to go again after the quick stop, I was in fourth or fifth gear and stalled out blocking even more traffic. then, I had to rock back and forth to keep downshifting. to first. what a disaster that was... cars honking, people yelling, the whole shabang.

ahhh geesus! I've done the same! except I've managed to get down to at least 3rd and was still able to get going again albeit extremely slow lol. lmao! ah man I'm sorry, I'm picturing someone rocking back and forth on the bike in the middle of traffic, frantically stepping on the shifter lmao too funny!

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

There was a time when I was in 2nd gear at a stop light where I thought I kicked all the way down to 1st. Wanted to relax my arms a little so I kicked it up into neutral, only it didnt go into neutral it went into third. The light is about to turn green, so I kicked it all the way down to first, BUT it didnt want to go into first.....Stuck in neutral. I am like wtf, cars honking left and right when the light turned green, so I just kicked it back up into 2nd and slowing let go of the clutch to accelerate.

It happened a few times only when I am completely stopped and kicking down the gears while stopped, it wont let me go into first sometimes. I found that if I slip the clutch in neutral and kicked it down into first, it will go in.

Also, does anybody else picture Jermey Clarkson saying "damn" when they stall out at a light??? Just me? ok...... >_>

cambo

Avid Rider
There was a time when I was in 2nd gear at a stop light where I thought I kicked all the way down to 1st. Wanted to relax my arms a little so I kicked it up into neutral, only it didnt go into neutral it went into third. The light is about to turn green, so I kicked it all the way down to first, BUT it didnt want to go into first.....Stuck in neutral. I am like wtf, cars honking left and right when the light turned green, so I just kicked it back up into 2nd and slowing let go of the clutch to accelerate.

It happened a few times only when I am completely stopped and kicking down the gears while stopped, it wont let me go into first sometimes. I found that if I slip the clutch in neutral and kicked it down into first, it will go in.

Also, does anybody else picture Jermey Clarkson saying "damn" when they stall out at a light??? Just me? ok...... >_>

ahhhh so THAT's what slipping the clutch means? haha this happens to me all the time and I guess I've been slipping the clutch to correct.

lol, good thing that light turned green on you! Had you let go of the clutch thinking you were in neutral...stall. lol

This happens to me more often then I'd like to admit too: I'll think I had shifted all the way down to first, so there I am at a light, thinking I'm in first...and when it's time to get going again, I give it gas and all it does is rev all high! and then I look down and see the green neutral light. DOH!

And becomes I prefer to have my right foot up on the rearset/brake and my left foot on the ground when I start of the line, I now have to put my right foot down, so I can raise my left foot to shift, and then put my left foot back down and my right foot back up so I'm comfortable to start off the line.

Geeeeesus talk about a noob... lol!

07cobaltLScoupe

haha i been there! now i have a habit that after i come to a stop, whether at a light or a stop sign, i do an extra click down just to make sure i'm actually in first and not neutral or a higher gear. once you get in a habit of it you're good to go!

cxa0897

Proper procedure is to put your left foot down first, and then the right. After both feet are down, its worth tapping the shifter down just to make sure you're in first. Starting in second isn't bad on this bike, but obviously first is easier. I've started in second with my gf on the back without even knowing it, it just takes some clutch control. We all have different preferences though, so everyone's mileage is likely a little different. I know people that never touch the rear brake, so which foot goes down first just doesn't matter....

n00b

Avid Rider
At long lights after I'm sure traffic behind me has come to a stop I just put it in first and shut it off

Blanchy

You should try it in a Prime mover towing 25 metric tons and you down shift but pull up still in high range side of the box. Big red face moment when the lights turn green. :eek:

Shanerc34

hahahahaha I have done the same thing.. and I do the same exact thing at every light.. good old ADD . Keep up the LOLZ

b-eock

He thought it wouldn't allow it to be kicked into gear

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Wow man, that is very noobish. Glad you didn't drop it on top of that.

Meanwhile, we are laughing so hard over here that I almost dropped the computer. That was classic!! Until the next time!!!