No muffler.... Do I NEED a PCV or tune?

desertbound1024

Hey guys I Just picked up a 2013 fz8, and I don't like riding a quiet bike. I like people to hear me. So I took the muffler off and am okay with the sound for now until I get a new exhaust system. Will I be okay to run no muffler without a tune until I get an exhaust and PCV? Sorry if this has already been answered

jmsandy77

Hey guys I Just picked up a 2013 fz8, and I don't like riding a quiet bike. I like people to hear me. So I took the muffler off and am okay with the sound for now until I get a new exhaust system. Will I be okay to run no muffler without a tune until I get an exhaust and PCV? Sorry if this has already been answered

Short answer is no. It's a stupid idea that will cause harm to your bike. I could go on for paragraphs as to why. Put the damn thing back on.

Sinooch

im with sandy on that one. your gonna throw off a bunch of stuff on your bike and it wont run correctly. If you want a secondary option, get a muffler thats loud. I have a coffman exhaust which is almost exactly what your doing except i have a small baffle that someone regulates it, but its still loud enough to make a point and its cheap. if you were to buy one brand new, i believe its 190$ if you can find someone selling a used one then you could probably get it for cheaper. i can remember exactly how much i paid for mine, but i got mine used and i only paid like 130$ for it. but its cheap and its loud. there are a couple of exhausts out there that are cheap and loud and keep you from running an open header.

desertbound1024

Short answer is no. It's a stupid idea that will cause harm to your bike. I could go on for paragraphs as to why. Put the damn thing back on.

It's on... Only took it off for a few minutes, saw if it was too loud, put it back on and created this thread. Thanks for the info though.

desertbound1024

im with sandy on that one. your gonna throw off a bunch of stuff on your bike and it wont run correctly. If you want a secondary option, get a muffler thats loud. I have a coffman exhaust which is almost exactly what your doing except i have a small baffle that someone regulates it, but its still loud enough to make a point and its cheap. if you were to buy one brand new, i believe its 190$ if you can find someone selling a used one then you could probably get it for cheaper. i can remember exactly how much i paid for mine, but i got mine used and i only paid like 130$ for it. but its cheap and its loud. there are a couple of exhausts out there that are cheap and loud and keep you from running an open header.

That's the eventual plan. Just wondered if running no muffler would harm the bike at all. I know it would run a tad lean but didn't know if it was enough to be bad.

tarik

You will be fine. I'm running no muffler also. Little loud but sounds good. Only downside, if you consider it one (I dont) is the popping on de acceleration

desertbound1024

You will be fine. I'm running no muffler also. Little loud but sounds good. Only downside, if you consider it one (I dont) is the popping on de acceleration

Ya I know you loose a little torque, and run a tad lean but it's not like cold air can go back through and start messing up valves.... So I'd like to know the real consequences of running no muffler