New rider/owner here

chronos

Hi Folks.

I picked up a 2012 Fz8 about a month ago, never rode before, this is probably a bit of a midlife crisis thing, but I'm excited to get riding. Signed up for some courses, hope to have my endorsement within the next few weeks. Looking forward to some summer weekend trips with a couple friends who are experienced riders.

8xxx miles, twin brothers exhaust, fender delete, some crappy aftermarket brake/clutch levers which are adjustable and don't like to stay at their set point.
newer dual compound tires, carbon fiber deflector, speedo calibrator, and some minor dressup items.

I have some stock mirrors that shouldd arrive in the next few days, and the puig doublebubble windscreen (for longer trips)

Ill probably have some questions from time to time.

Actually, first one, the passenger seat?... is it supposed to have some wiggle/give in it? or is it supposed to lock down and feel solid?

DSCF6988.jpgDSCF6993.jpgDSCF6994.jpgDSCF6996.jpgDSCF6997.jpg

Blackfin

If you're a complete noob to riding -- never rode a dirtbike as a kid, for instance -- be careful. The FZ8 is a pretty ballsy machine for a beginner. But it can also be quite docile if kept below ~6000RPM. Above that and it really wakes up...

Bike looks really nice in the pics. I would check the chain tension. It could just be the angle or whatever but it looks a bit loose to me.

My rear seat can be moved a bit but I wouldn't characterize it as "loose."

Umyaya

Stock mirrors suck ass. Keep the bar end mirrors. The FZ8 is an easy bike to manuever and ride... way better as a first bike than any sportbike with clipons.

Last edited:

SilverSlugger00

Yeah this is my first bike as well and haven't regretted it yet. But be warned making your bike your own is an expensive addicting task

chronos

Thanks everyone. I know how expensive this stuff can be, i used to have a suped up Mustang GT before I had my son, expensive hobbies for sure. ;)

Blackfin,, One of my friends rode it back from the guy i bought it from. He said basically the same, once it hits 6000rpm make sure it is pointed in the right direciton. Ill check the chain tension, thanks for noticing.

Umyaya, The prev owner still had the left mirror so i went and ordered the right one. I totally agree, looks WAY better with the smaller handlebar mirrors, but they vibrate a bit, and being a total noob to riding i figured i would throw the stock mirrors on until i got some miles under my belt.

I put a lot of thought in this and really did not want to buy something I would outgrow in a year, but should be manageable enough to learn on and grow with. The fact it looks totally awesome does not hurt either ;) I just turned 38 this year, and I have a son i need to be alive for, my 10-foot-tall-and-bulletproof years are behind me, I am hoping my internal old fart will prevent my inner child from wrapping my spine around a telephone pole. ;)

Keach

Bar end mirrors or the tomohawk mirrors that are sold on ebay cost a fraction of the price, look way better, and function waaaay better. Congrats on your purchase. It's a great all around bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk