New Penske 8975

RoadKill

Got my new shock today!

Installation was actually pretty easy. a bit tight for the wrenches but having an air ratchet really helped with that.

If you use the center stand use a 2X6 to raise/lower the wheel when installing/removing the bolts in the relays so things line up.

Now i need to read the manual and play with settings etc.

View attachment 2679

ssky0078

where'd you get it from? If you got it from Traxxion Dynamics they send them set up perfectly. Otherwise I'd go to a local race shop and get them to set it up. It's worth it to have a properly tuned suspension

RoadKill

I got it off the web. honestly the shop was kinda slack so i don't want to give them any advertisement. the guy had it from Penske on Tuesday and just held it at his shop til Thursday before he sent it to me.
it wasnt Traxxion Dynamics.

I have my SAG properly set up and i have the rebound and compression dialed in pretty nicely.

First impressions are:

I have a lot more traction! I had no idea the rear wheel was slipping as much as it obviously was. it is very noticeable.

cornering i have a more planted feel because of improved traction.
If you can get the money together do it, this is, so far, my favorite upgrade to the bike by far. i feel like it is a new bike that performs much better than the old one.

Last edited:

Kardiac996

I tried a light search but how does the rear spring differ from the 2011,12 to the 2013?

Is the 2013 improved in anyway? I know my front forks on the 2013 are nicer because i can adjust them etc.. just wondering if there is also a considerable difference in the rear.

ssky0078

I tried a light search but how does the rear spring differ from the 2011,12 to the 2013?

Is the 2013 improved in anyway? I know my front forks on the 2013 are nicer because i can adjust them etc.. just wondering if there is also a considerable difference in the rear.

It's the weight rating of the springs. check out the link on racetech and then click on the Calculate spring rates.
RT - Digital Product Search

ssky0078

From what I understand the spring is what applies the appropriate down force to the tire from the bike while you are riding. Too much down force and you have a bumpy ride, too soft of a down force and you get a spongy ride. The shock with the rebound settings are what slows/controls the tire coming back down into contact with the road after hitting a bump that if you didn't have basically it would jar/shoot you off the bike.

Emulsion shocks are a mixture of oil and air that can get hot and form bubbles in the shock cylinder causing it to lose it's ability to control the rebound. Nitrogen shocks like the 8975 don't have the issue with overheating, thus can maintain good control of rebound

FZ1inNH

Administrator
From what I understand the spring is what applies the appropriate down force to the tire from the bike while you are riding. Too much down force and you have a bumpy ride, too soft of a down force and you get a spongy ride. The shock with the rebound settings are what slows/controls the tire coming back down into contact with the road after hitting a bump that if you didn't have basically it would jar/shoot you off the bike.

Emulsion shocks are a mixture of oil and air that can get hot and form bubbles in the shock cylinder causing it to lose it's ability to control the rebound. Nitrogen shocks like the 8975 don't have the issue with overheating, thus can maintain good control of rebound

Sort of... ;) The spring is set to your rider weight and with proper static sag set up, it is the rebound setting that controls the downforce. Too little and the bike's rear rabbits in the corner, too much rebound and your butt feels like it is slamming into the pavement. Compression setting controls the upward movement when you hit a bump. Too little and the the bike will rabbit through the corner and too much, the rear really slaps you in the arse.

Perfect is setting the static sag first, then working on the compression and rebound until the bike no longer hops or feels like it's washing out on you.

I got my Penske 8983 from Traxxion Dynamics. They set it up perfectly and I've not changed it at all. They somehow even nailed the static sag? Sweet!!!

RoadKill

I talked to Penske today and the place i bought it from actually adjusted my Preload. When I readjusted my Sag by measuring, the settings went back to what Penske had already set my shock for. I did take a little compression dampening out and remove some rebound dampening.