New HID headlight

SpunkyTheTuna

Got together with Boris from BKMoto and he installed a new HID headlight on my FZ8. As you may recall, I'm a picky guy. Boris does fine, fine work, in my opinion. I was kind of dubious about HID conversions in our headlight buckets because of the add and angular shape of them. Turns out Boris has projectors that have an oval sort of shroud that looks factory in our headlight buckets. I'm posting some pics so you can see how nicely integrated it is.

Light output? Shoot, it's a nifty HID with both high beam and low beam and it's a world apart from the comparatively anemic stock light. Turns night to day, and being a projector, it's far better focussed than the stock light is, in my opinion. I went with a 6000 degree light. It's bright white with just a tint of blue to it, but there are other lamps you can get in other temps/colors. The halos are available in other colors, too, but I went with white. Hey, I'm an old guy. I'd sooner wear gold chains and fake grillz rather than have a blue halo, but you can suit yourself.

Anyhow, Boris is a strait up guy who does good work. He's at BKmoto Your source for custom projector halo retrofitted StreetFigher headlights and quality bolt on hid projectors kits.

D

Deleted member 438

Very nice. Do you have any idea what he's gonna charge for the kit and installation?

Black Widow

Avid Rider
That is just awesome, is night vision drasticly improved from the (no better than a small flashlight) stock beams.? Fussypants :p :)

SpunkyTheTuna

Not sure what he'd going to charge for the kits or installation. Probably tells you on the website or if not e-mail him. Night vision is HUGELY improved. Don't feel like things are going to be jumping out at me from the darkness any more.

V

Vapordan

Awesome kit, looks like I just found another way to spend even more on my baby

I pulled the plug on the spending. That's getting to be ridiculus now. After the scorpion exhaust THAT IS IT!!!

jzfz8

Hey guys, new fz8 owner from nor cal here. I was considering this mod because the stock headlight coverage is garbage, but does it void my warranty? I know I read somewhere about them having to prove the specific mod led to the bike failure but I just wanted your opinions on it.

JSP

Administrator
Hey guys, new fz8 owner from nor cal here. I was considering this mod because the stock headlight coverage is garbage, but does it void my warranty? I know I read somewhere about them having to prove the specific mod led to the bike failure but I just wanted your opinions on it.

It will void your headlight warranty. ;) But they cannot void another systems warranty because of it. Since you modded the headlight, if there is condensation in it now or something, they will not fix that under warranty. But if your foot peg breaks off due to a faulty bolt or some crap they cannot void covering that under warranty because you modded your headlight.

Now they may fight any other related electrical issues because of it.

jzfz8

It will void your headlight warranty. ;) But they cannot void another systems warranty because of it. Since you modded the headlight, if there is condensation in it now or something, they will not fix that under warranty. But if your foot peg breaks off due to a faulty bolt or some crap they cannot void covering that under warranty because you modded your headlight.

Now they may fight any other related electrical issues because of it.

That's what I figured. Think I'm going to go ahead with the mod, I found a similar
kit on two different sites, only one is 70$ and the other is 160$. Ill post both links below, if anyone has experience with the cheaper one any information on it would be much appreciated.

160$

BKmoto Your source for custom projector halo retrofitted StreetFigher headlights and quality bolt on hid projectors kits.

70$

motorcycle hid projector KT-MT2

borka

That's what I figured. Think I'm going to go ahead with the mod, I found a similar
kit on two different sites, only one is 70$ and the other is 160$. Ill post both links below, if anyone has experience with the cheaper one any information on it would be much appreciated.

160$

BKmoto Your source for custom projector halo retrofitted StreetFigher headlights and quality bolt on hid projectors kits.

70$

motorcycle hid projector KT-MT2

The KT-MT2 projector is a tiny little scooter projector, it has a tiny lens, tiny halo and very poor light output. you will be disappointed with the light output.

The bkmoto Mini D2S projector is a real retrofitters projector, very often used in cars for its great performance and light output. its body and lens is much larger, resulting in a much brighter hid light that goes wider and much further.

look at these light output shots:
This one is from ktautopart website:
Dim and uneven light spread, and also very narrow, only shines right in front and nothing to the sides.

and this one is from bkmoto website:
Super bright, wide and a far reaching beam.

Another option... Portion of proceeds comes back to the forum as well so you will be helping support the site. He will do the retro and everything for you.

Affordable HID Retrofitting Services!! - Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

And if you want to do the retro yourself, contact him and he can get a good deal on the kit.

bkmoto.com has about the same prices, and are tried and tested.
They are very popular among the 600RR and R6 forums.

Last edited:

clemmel

It looks like this conversion limits you to just the low beam of the bike. Do you feel like you have lost anything or is this low beam HID so good it would beat the high beam of the OEM bulb?

If the high beam is not connected, what does the headlight switch on the bike do? Turn off the single bulb or nothing?

Thanks!

borka

It looks like this conversion limits you to just the low beam of the bike. Do you feel like you have lost anything or is this low beam HID so good it would beat the high beam of the OEM bulb?

If the high beam is not connected, what does the headlight switch on the bike do? Turn off the single bulb or nothing?

Thanks!

This is a bixenon projector, it does both low beam and high beam, using your factory switch, same as stock.

The low beam has a sharp cut off line so it doesnt shine high enough to blind oncoming traffic, high beam works instantly and opens up the beam to shine higher for high beam.

SpunkyTheTuna

There's a little mechanical flapper valve gizmo inside the light that cuts off the top of the beam in low beam and when you flick on the high beam it snaps back out of the way and allows the beam to shine fully. It's actually kind of cool to watch it happen. Made me say "Holy Crap" to myself in my helmet the first time I did it. Very impressive.

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
Just ordered mine, green halo and blue demons, she's gonna look like a sinister cyclops, I'm a bit excited:sinister: