New Header!

Sinooch

Hey guys. Just installed my new header. Thought i would share it with you guys. To my knowledge i got the last one of Marty's Midship Headers. And they are painted matte black. Lmk what you think.

Attachments

• 20150311_143904.jpg
    20150311_143904.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 164

Keach

Nice. I think you should put that coffman tip so it is angled out. Looks a little weird the way you have it oriented IMO. But otherwise I like the low mount exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinooch

Thats the most angle outward that i could get out of it. I tried more but it cant. Marthy told me that he couldnt remember which exhaust this header was made for but i got it anyway. i guess it wasnt the coffman but no biggie. Still think it looks good

Keach

Take the gold tip off and rotate (spin it) it so the angle of the cut faces the opposite of the way you have it (leave the muffler clamped as you have it). You just have to remove the 3 or 4 Allen screws holding the tip to the muffler, adjust it, and screw it back together. I think it will look much better.

Last edited:

Sinooch

Yea i thought about doing that. i figured i would get opinions like this for now. Ill give it a try and post another picture. But im having issues with the header. Took it out for a ride yesterday and my exhaust came loose. Basically the end of the header is too small for the exhaust. Manufacturer mistake. Problem is i cant ship it back to have it fixed cause it was already made. You know of anything i can do other than re-welding a new pipe on to fix this. I tried wrapping the end of pipe with exhaust wrap to fill the space because its not a huge gap, just a slight one. and it worked at first when i put it on. but after i rode around for a little while it got a little wobbly and loose even though it was still tightened. I couldnt pull it off the header anymore which is good, but now the exhaust is rotated because its not as firm as it should be on the bike. Worst case scenario is that i take the header back off and weld on an extra little piece that is the right size so i can fix the issue. I might end up doing that but any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Keach

Hmm that sucks about the fitment. I'd go the route you mentioned of welding a larger/ the correct diameter pipe to the header. You could probably have it done cheap at a muffler shop with some of their scrap laying around. If you didn't already you are also suppose to rivet the coffman to the pipe to avoid the risk of the clamp loosening. It would suck to watch the coffman bouncing down the road in your side mirrors.

Sinooch

Like the headers, but you need more gold on the bike. As it is, just the gold tip looks odd to me.

yea im probably gonna do something with the tip and make it black. I bought it used so whatever color it came in is what i took lol. I love the black, gray and gold look on our bikes, but too many people do it so thats why im just not really crazy about it.

Sinooch

Hmm that sucks about the fitment. I'd go the route you mentioned of welding a larger/ the correct diameter pipe to the header. You could probably have it done cheap at a muffler shop with some of their scrap laying around. If you didn't already you are also suppose to rivet the coffman to the pipe to avoid the risk of the clamp loosening. It would suck to watch the coffman bouncing down the road in your side mirrors.

Yea i know. I also know about the rivet. I havent done it yet cause the only ride i took with it so far was for a quick 30-45 minute drive around town to double check everything since i put it back together. Im going somewhere today to get the end pipe made slightly larger. Apparently there is some kind of stretching tool for pipes, so hopefully i can stretch it enough for it to fit right. and if that doesnt work then im just going to cut and weld on my own pipe

Keach

yea im probably gonna do something with the tip and make it black. I bought it used so whatever color it came in is what i took lol. I love the black, gray and gold look on our bikes, but too many people do it so thats why im just not really crazy about it.

Lol I just sold one to a guy in the other forum for 150, that had a black tip. It was originally gold(which I loved on my 2011 with gold accents) but the gold tip faded and some of the paint chipped so coffmans offered to refinish it for me. I requested it all black because the tip would be powder coated and shouldn't fade again. Sold it cause I got a sweet deal on an r77.

Sinooch

I have a friend that powder coats and he will do stuff for me for just about the cost of materials. He helps me out cause ive helped him get a deal with a performance shop so that they would send all their powder coating business to him. or atleast i think he followed up on him. I made the introduction and talk to the shop for him, all he needed to do was talk about pricing and stuff and it was done. Hopefully he followed up, but regardless he still does stuff practically for free. Something larger he might charge me a little but its not crazy. but I thought the tip was anodized and just the body was powdercoated.

Keach

On the coffman the tip is anodized unless you have it in black, then it is powder coated like they rest of the pipe. My coffmans gold tip had faded and a little bit of the paint had chipped on the pipe so they agreed to re powder coat the whole thing for me.

Sinooch

Definitely like the black color of the headers -- nice! Did you paint them or had someone else paint them?

I just bought a can of the rustoleum high heat paint that can go up to 2000 degrees and painted them. I sanded them really well before hand though. and if you do paint them, just be careful moving them or putting them back on cause before the paint is baked it scratches really easily. I didnt know that until it was done lol. I did a little bit of touch up and they are fine now. but just be careful