new guy looking at getting a fz8 got questions for ya

scottd1975

I have a 2013 cbr500r and looking to upgrade. I love the way the fz8 looks and always have.
Couple of questions for you all are
1. is this bike as torqy as i hear it is ( sorry for spelling)
2. how is it on gas?
3. how does it handle in the canyons?
4. any "required" mods to make it just right?
5. can i lower the bike a inch is it possible too?

Thanks for the help guys looking forward to learning more.

Last edited:

Third Fz

This is my third Fz. Owned a First Gen Fz1, 2014 FZ09
and recently bought this used 2011 Fz8. As far as torque,
the Fz09 has all the inline fours beat. It is there like your
twin, strong from 3k RPM to redline. My Buddy who has
a FZ07, says it has strong mid range torque also. The 8
makes great power but it needs to be at about 5k RPM
to get going first. None of the FZ 's get gas miliage like
a 500-650cc twin. Three gallons gets you like a 100 miles
(Fz07 could be the exception cause it is a twin). The Fz8
is the best handling because the frame basically comes
from a 2006 R1. It is a little heavior than a Fz09 but really
feels planted while cornering. Set a line in a corner and
the FZ8 will hold it. The later 2013 FZ08' s have the best
suspension because it is more adjustable. As far as mods
go, the seat is junk so buy that first. I have a Corbin and
Love it ( after 500 mile break in). Airbox mod is common
as the intake is very restrictive on stock bike. I added a
Gold tip Coffman slip on exhaust because it looks good
and was cheap ($199). Added superbike handle bars, bar
end mirrors and bars risors to bring them up and back. The
build quality is much better on the 8 than the 9. The 9 makes
more power but it is speed limited where the 8 is not so
the FZ8 actually has a higher top speed. Bought bike with
10k miles and now has almost 15k miles. Replaced the
chain (due to corrosion), the spark plugs and a couple of
tires. The bike is reliable by all accounts. Do not know if
it can be lowered but raceteck does make different rear
shock spring for early models like my 2011. Highly re-
commend the bike, probably my favorite in naked line up.

Last edited:

Keach

Here is my opinion

1. The bike is very torquey compared to a lot of bikes. I came from a yzf600r and love that you can ride under 5k rpms and the bike isn't bogging down.

2. You will see a ton of different posts about gas milage and many will vary. What I can say is regardless of mods (I've done all the common ones at different stages), milage mainly comes from your wrist with this bike. I get about 40-42mpg. Down to about 38 mpg when I'm riding aggressive. On a highway trip flying to motogp in Indy last year I saw 50, but haven't ever seen it again. (Although I leave for Indy again this year tomorrow so we will see :) )

3. Canyons...what are those? Lol I wish we had canyons. The bike is overall fine, but the suspension many would consider lacking. Lots of guys, myself included get an 06-08 r1 rear shock and an adapter to stiffen the rear. We have the same frame as an fz1 but the fz1 has a superior suspension.

4. Of all the common mods id say the ecu flash is awesome value and makes the bike much more enjoyable in every way about 200 bucks. look into flash tune ecu or turbo joe ecu. Smooths everything out and gives the bike noticeably more power. Also an r6 throttle tube makes a big difference for very little money. A slip on is a must. The airbox and filter or minimal to the above. Headers are good but again the most noticeable change will be from the flash.

5. Sorry I don't know.

Overall it is a really great all around bike that you don't see a ton of and gets attention. For my riding style it is perfect. Has been incredibly reliable and low maintenance like just about every Yamaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackfin

I have a 2013 cbr500r and looking to upgrade. I love the way the fz8 looks and always have.

Nice. I went from a 2014 CBR500R to my 2011 Fazer 800.

My 2c:

Couple of questions for you all are
1. is this bike as torqy as i hear it is ( sorry for spelling)

Not sure what you've heard but it is a fairly torquey engine and is pretty happy tooling around town but, like most I4s, it's in its happy-zone past 6000.

2. how is it on gas?

Not nearly as good as the CBR. My 500R got fuel economy in the high 60mpg range. The Fazer...more like mid-40s. Keep in mind it's making more than twice the power (105 vs 47 at the crank) and weighs a good deal more (465lbs vs 424lbs wet...)

3. how does it handle in the canyons?

No canyons around here but the bike is actually fairly nimble. It's obviously not toy-like as a CBR250R is and perhaps not quite as flickable as a 500R due to its additional weight but it easily holds its own in the twisties.

4. any "required" mods to make it just right?

The lack of adjustability in the suspension of the pre-2013 models has some guys going to Race Tech (e.g.) for some suspension work. I find it absolutely fine for my daily commute and riding around twisty country roads; if I went for 9/10ths riding, I'd upgrade that too. OE tires are pretty basic; passable but there are much better out there.

Most other mods are matters of personal taste/preference. I've got Akra headers and a Yoshi R77 slip-on on mine and live for the sound of the I4. I've also got a PC-V and a Dynojet quickshifter, modded airbox funnel w/K&N, Pazzo levers, EBC brake rotors & pads, a Yoshi tail-tidy and some other stuff on mine. I have a new gold DID VX chain & -1/+0 sprocket upgrade in the queue to go on shortly. Of everything, the QS and R77 are by far my two favorite mods. :)

5. can i lower the bike a inch is it possible too?

Check out Lust Racing in the UK for their -30mm kit:

Yamaha FZ8 lowering kit | FZ-8 lowering kit - Only 54.95 + postage! for FZ8 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 | LustRacing.co.uk

Lowering is often frowned-upon by the riding elites (because it messes with the geometry of the suspension) but sometimes you need to do this for practical reasons. If you lower the rear, consider moving the forks up in the triple trees a bit to compensate. Keep in mind that you might be scraping hard parts sooner with reduced ground clearance...

scottd1975

Thank you all for the opinions.
I will need to lower it but i do know the front forks have to be raised as well. Sounds like the bike is what im looking for. The one im looking at is a 2013 with 9000 miles on it... I live in San Diego where there are alot of canyon rides. The 500r does ok but the skinny tires get caught in the road groves and during cornering can be a PITA.

moto873

I love mine. Comfortable to ride over 100 miles, sporty enough to have fun in the corners, and fast enough to commit felony speeding in 2nd gear. It's torquey but it always feels like the Ecm is holding it back. I've heard a tune really wakes them up. That's going to be my next upgrade when I have disposable income again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk