New guy looking at a 13 FZ8

dugwms

Greetings all. I currently have an 03 SV650s and am looking at a 13 FZ8. Does anyone have experience on both bikes and would you be willing to give me a "comparo" between the two? My main objective for the change is a more comfortable position. 6' 2", 210 lbs in gear. I don't do interstate, a little city and mostly country highways. No two-up, the wife has no interest in riding. From what I understand, the FZ needs to be reved and the SV had pull right from the bottom. That's probably my biggest concern from lurking on the forum if that could be addressed. Thank you in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this decision.

Keach

You'll love the fz8 although you're best bet to be sure is to test ride.

I actually picked up a 2008 sv650s for my buddy and rode it back 3 hours for him in sideways rain and wind. I really like the sv. The fz8 seat isn't as comfortable as the stock sv seat but you can have it modified. The regular bars are obviously more comfortable than the the sv clip ons.

I like the fz8 because it's a blend in my option between say an r6 and the sv. It doesn't have to be revved real high to start feeling the pull and the torque down low is pretty good, but unlike the sv it has some more on the higher revs. Take one for a ride. I think from the sv you will like it. Also an ecu flash really really improves the bike. There is a dead spot between about 4.5-6k rpms that all but disappears with a flash and r6 throttle tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeresMyMind

I have ridden both, I am around 206.

Good news on the 2013 FZ8 is that it has adjustable front/rear suspension unlike the other years. If you plan on getting more aggressive in the twisties you may want to change the rear shock out for either the FZ1 (budget) or the R1 w/ adapter (I did the R1).

The FZ8 pulls just the same down low as the sv650, but much better in the mid and high. The riding position is also a HUGE difference. The sv650s is more forward and you use your knees/back to keep yourself up, the FZ8 you are more upright and it is much better for longer hauls and traffic. The sv650s is deff an attack position just not as much as something like an R1/R6 or GSX-R.

The deadspot in the FZ8 wont bother you if you like the SV650. But it is easily fixed with a 250$ flash. (I recommend turbojoe).

Keach

I have ridden both, I am around 206.

Good news on the 2013 FZ8 is that it has adjustable front/rear suspension unlike the other years. If you plan on getting more aggressive in the twisties you may want to change the rear shock out for either the FZ1 (budget) or the R1 w/ adapter (I did the R1).

The FZ8 pulls just the same down low as the sv650, but much better in the mid and high. The riding position is also a HUGE difference. The sv650s is more forward and you use your knees/back to keep yourself up, the FZ8 you are more upright and it is much better for longer hauls and traffic. The sv650s is deff an attack position just not as much as something like an R1/R6 or GSX-R.

The deadspot in the FZ8 wont bother you if you like the SV650. But it is easily fixed with a 250$ flash. (I recommend turbojoe).

I agree with your assessment of the torque down low and more power throughout the mid and high range. I think that's gonna be the biggest reason this bike would be a good fit/ improvement for him.

I didn't notice as huge improvement in riding position but only because I don't remember being uncomfortable on the sv.

dugwms

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I'm really hoping the riding position helps. I'm getting too old/fat to be stretched out over a tank anymore. And a messed up rotator cuff doesn't help. I'm hoping to close the deal on the 8 this weekend. Wish me luck and thanks again!

myklobe

When I bought my FZ8, I test rode the 2014 SV650s. I only put about 15 miles on it, but I felt more comfortable on the FZ8.
I am 5'11", 220 lbs. The riding position on the FZ8 felt better to me (more upright) - rides more like a fast dirt bike and I liked that.
The SV650s felt gutless compared to the FZ8 (something like 71HP vs 105HP) but the difference felt huge.
I liked the inline 4 vs the 2 cylinder on the SV650s.
I liked the look of the FZ8 over the SV650s.
The FZ8s are super cheap now that the FZ-09s and FZ-07s are the main FZ bikes.
I bought it in Utah, but moved to Houston, Texas a year later. 0 regrets still with my decision, even though it's now a commuter bike :)
Really, what it comes down to is riding both and picking which one you like.

dugwms

Does the FZ8 put very much pressure on the wrist? That's my number one complaint about the sv650s, much more so than my back even. I went for a short ride Saturday and my right hand was numb within 15 or 20 minutes. I turned 50 last year. If I would have known I was going to live so long, I would have taken better care of myself. Thanks for the replies everyone!

HeresMyMind

Not nearly as much. Any sport touring bike besides some super upright ones will put some pressure on the wrist.

Pressure on the wrist is actually due to poor riding posture. You SHOULD be using 95% of your core to hold yourself upright and you should be light on yours hands/wrists at all times.

Realistically 99% of us are NOT moto GP riders and don't have 8 pack abs, so yes there will be some light pressure on the wrists.

To Counter this you can do a few things.

1) buy grips with more cushion
2) buy tank grips, this will help prevent your knees from sliding on the tank and your manhood into the tank.
3) buy a new seat, I went with SHAD and couldn't be happier, again it prevents you from sliding, and slightly moves your hips forward which reduces pressure on your wrists.
4) buy a set of bar risers, the higher / farther back they are, the more upright you are. (FZ1's have an 1" bar riser compared to us, stock)

-B

Last edited:

dugwms

The abs are definitely not what they used to be and, as much as I try to use my core, it's not long before I'm putting more weight on my wrists again. That's the reason for the bike switch. I really don't want to give up riding but my right turns are a little sketchy when I can't feel my right hand. Thanks for all the comments.

HeresMyMind

Don't over think what I put, the FZ8 is MUCH better than the SV650 was. I also forgot you can put bar risers on as well (I added to previous post).

Test drive an FZ1, and the riding position is 99% identical, the only difference is the FZ1 handlebars have a 1" rise from a FZ8

-B

dugwms

Good point. We used to swap out dirt bike bars with some regularity. May have had something to do with hitting the ground one too many times :)

Thanks for the info!

Keach

At 602 tall I wouldn't expect you'll be leaning into the bars at all. The riding position is very comfortable and upright. With a new seat and different bars you can really change things up if necessary. I wouldn't suspect you will be uncomfortable at all on the fz8 with the stock set up.

dugwms

Just one more question... can I use a front stand that lifts from the steering head instead of the forks? I have one for my current bike and, if I can just change the pin, I prefer that type of stand. Thanks!