NEW FZ8 Owner...I hope. Need some help

860Rider

Hi Everyone! Tony here from CT. I wanted to do a quick intro and ask for some help. I've been watching the this forum for a while now and I like the interaction, and how respectful everyone has been. I've had some bad forum experiences in the past. This place seems like what I've ben looking for! :D

Im a family guy with a wife and 3 kids. My wife and I enjoy other hobbies together, and riding was on our list next. Im getting back into riding Spring 2014 with my wife. She'll be a first time rider. We have a few bikes already picked out for her that we will be looking at after she takes the MSF course. (refresher for me)

Other bikes Ive considered are the FZ6R, Ninja 650, Suzuki SFV 650, and even and FZ1. For reference. My first bike was a 2002 YZF-600R I rode it for 3.5 years before having to sell for personal reasons.

I'd like some of your buying advice if you guys won't mind. I've had my eye on the FZ8 all summer, and was looking forward to investing. I found a local dealer that has 2 left over 2013 in stock. I really can't invest until May at the earliest. (I know spring is the worst time to buy)

1-What kind of price should I see come spring? I was quoted the $8890.00 "with incentives" Mid summer (for example) they were offering 800 off but I would imagine going into 2014 this is now a "prior year" left over that's been discontinued.

2-Do you guys think parts will still be readily available, or should I try to get my add ons sooner rather than later? Say in the next year

-Ive seen some dealers in other states near me (NJ) selling 2013 for 6700 but it wasn't clear if that's a "new left over" or pre owned. I never want to assume.

Sorry for the long first topic out but I'd like to get a handle on it all, and join up. Thanks in advance-Tony!

NoNine4me

First you might read through this:
http://www.779cc.org/forum/47053-post58.html
After 30 years of riding and having owned many different kinds of bikes I think the FZ8 is the best all-rounder I've ever owned. The only drawback is if you plan on carrying a passenger. It's lousy for two-up riding, the passenger has little to grab on to and sits high on the forward-sloping seat. It's not a power issue at all.

But for solo riding the FZ8 is great in just about every conceivable situation. It makes a great canyon carver, is exceedingly comfortable and smooth on the freeway, is reasonably light, and plenty quick. It's also a pretty good-looking machine.

860Rider

Awesome! Thanks for the fast reply! Great article. It would only be myself riding as my wife wans her own bike and Ive read that the FZ8 does it all well so Im really leaning towards it.

YamaHammer

Fz8 is a great bike as previously mentioned for just about everything. I would say it depends on the size of the both of you if you ever needed or desired to ride double. I saw a man and woman riding like pros on an fz8 on I 10 east and they looked like it they were doing alright. They were going probably 10 mph faster than traffic. The woman was probably 5'3'' 120.

I've had mine since september and I can't stay away from it. Dont accept anything over 7k asking. I snagged my 2012 for 6k before taxes and fees.

Riding or wishing I was riding.

860Rider

Thanks Yama!!
I was thinking right around 7 or so. The sales rep told me they'd be taking a bath on them because everyone wants the FZ09. Right around 7 give or take is what I was thinking but wanted to ask. Thanks again! -Tony

villhelmromero

also keep in mind that the '13 models are the last of the FZ8s in north America. so once those are all sold there's no telling if they are going to make them again. so snatch that sucker up

860Rider

I agree, but I also didn't want that fact thrown at me from the dealer saying 8890 is the price tag saying "Its the last of the fZ8's"

villhelmromero

well if they still have them around by the time you're ready to buy you should be able to kick the price quite down a bit. but like everybody else says the FZ-09 is the hot seller right now so those FZ8s may spend some time gathering dust on the showroom floor.

860Rider

Exactly!! I was thinking they'd have the price either already dropped, and/or ready to aggressively knock it down.

Side note. They DO OFFER a lay away for $500.00 and they can hold it for up to 2mths. I was thinking about it come tax returns dropping the HOLD fee and then wrap it up in May when I can fully invest.

Any thoughts on that? I don't know if doing that makes me appear desperate to buy

villhelmromero

I remember when the Yamaha dealer in Boerne tx first opened and I went to check it out. I saw the FZ8 and was like :eek:"GTFO of here!" i loved the styling and was really intimidated by it so... I bought it a week later. best decision ever....

860Rider

I remember when the Yamaha dealer in Boerne tx first opened and I went to check it out. I saw the FZ8 and was like :eek:"GTFO of here!" i loved the styling and was really intimidated by it so... I bought it a week later. best decision ever....

My exact thoughts when I first saw it!! LOL

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I wouldn't panic. There always seems to be a couple used ones for sale in the Atlanta area and I was able to play the dealers against each other to give me a better deal on a new one. However I don't know the New England market, so YMMV.

Skiman

Tony,

I'm here in CT as well and bought a leftover 2012 in March of this year and was out the door for $8k and that's before the we knew that the Z8 would be no longer.

I came down off of a FJ1200 and found that the Z8 was exactly what I was looking for. It's a great bike for day rides and the back roads or can easily handle weekend touring.

Two up isn't too bad if you've got a top case on it for a backrest.

Mine remains stock except for touring accessories that I've added. Very few of the accessories have come from Yamaha. Most of the stuff I've added I've gotten through Twisted Throttle.

Don't know which dealership you've been dealing with but the two that I would strongly urge you to check out are Libby's in New Haven and MotorSports Nation in Waterford. Scott at MotorSports will work with you!

Send me a message if there is any additional info your looking for (I'm not always on here, but check the site fairly regularly)

860Rider

Hey Skiman! Nice to see another CT rider in here. Ive been dealing with New England Cycle Center, and Enfield MotorSports as Im in the Northern Part of Hartford County.

New England Cycle Center has the 2 FZ8's and offering the 500 Deposit/Hold

Enfield Motor has 3 of the 4 bikes my wife was looking at so we might be buying from 2 different dealerships.

860Rider

Tony,

I'm here in CT as well and bought a leftover 2012 in March of this year and was out the door for $8k and that's before the we knew that the Z8 would be no longer.

I came down off of a FJ1200 and found that the Z8 was exactly what I was looking for. It's a great bike for day rides and the back roads or can easily handle weekend touring.

Two up isn't too bad if you've got a top case on it for a backrest.

Mine remains stock except for touring accessories that I've added. Very few of the accessories have come from Yamaha. Most of the stuff I've added I've gotten through Twisted Throttle.

Great info to know, thank you!! Im really leaning towards the FZ8 at this point. I've done a lot of research and it checks all the right boxes for me.

kodoq88

I just got my 8 less than a month ago for 8500 out the door in CA so you should can get it cheaper. Just act like you wanna buy fz9 and you fell in love with 8 theyll make you a good deal for 8 since they wanna get rid of inventory. Tips: wait till like the last week of the month since salesman need his quota. try to get the OTD price no more than msrp. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2