New FZ8 in North Dallas, Texas

DossieBoy

Hello!

I just got my first bike so I'm quite new to the bike scene. I have been big into Subaru's for the past 3 years (owned 3 over that time) and finally made up my mind to move to one car and get a bike.

I'm still just riding around the neighborhood and parking lots that are close to my house during my free time to get the feel for it. Just got my helmet, a Shoei RF-1100, its a little tight around the jaw but I have heard that they loosen up as they break in. I'm still trying to determine what jacket I want so I'm getting a used one off CL tomorrow to use till I figure out the one I really want. Thinking DAINESE but I need to be sure if I'm going to be dropping that kind of cash... Also looking at their Short Shift Motorcycle Shoes, need some thing that I can ware around and not look ridiculous going into a store, movie or what not. Anyone out there have any recommendations?

Oh and here is the bike with all my junk behind it...

I'm planning on taking the Beginner Course very soon, does anyone have a recommendation?

I also know some people that just took the written and riding test, but I'm not sure about the route...What do y'all think?

Rotaryknight

welcome to the family :)

I was a car guy at first, I drove mostly Rx7s ever since I gotten my liscense. But when I saw my uncle (who also drives Rx7s) riding in a gsxr600, it peaked my curiosity into motorcycles. Started out with dirtbikes, going through a handful of bikes, to the FZ8.

For the helmet, it is sometimes better to get smaller size cheekpads if they are really digging into your cheeks and jaw. You can wear it around the house and stuff to break in the cheek pads. If after two weeks it still does it, you will need smaller pads.

For jackets, for me the best place to buy them is over at revzilla.com. They do easy exchange or refund, and their selections are pretty good. They also pretty much video review almost everything they have in the apparel section. A mesh jacket is the best for hot places, at speeds, it will cool you down very quickly even in 90+F weather. I have the Alpinestars T-GP-R Air Jacket.

The SIDI SDS New York Riding Shoe and Alpinestars Blacktop Shoes are very very inconspictious, they looks like a regular basketball shoe.

DLSGAP

Welcome from Midlothian.

I actually do most of my street riding now in my tactical boots. I wear the 5.11 Speed in the 8" model very comfortable and provide good support. I just tuck the laces once tied. Check out cycle gear or moto liberty for gear options. Moto liberty has a huge in stock selection so you can try everything on before you buy. The only downside is that they're located off of 635... Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

b-eock

DLSGAP, you're in Midlothian? I was there quite a few times. At night though. I was hanging out with a friend.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

[]V[]addog

welcome! love the subie! i have a speed 3.... love having a turbo!
I see you have the yosh can, how do you like it?

DossieBoy

Welcome from Midlothian.

I actually do most of my street riding now in my tactical boots. I wear the 5.11 Speed in the 8" model very comfortable and provide good support. I just tuck the laces once tied. Check out cycle gear or moto liberty for gear options. Moto liberty has a huge in stock selection so you can try everything on before you buy. The only downside is that they're located off of 635... Lol

That does sound like a good idea, I'll look into that. Thanks!

welcome! love the subie! i have a speed 3.... love having a turbo!
I see you have the yosh can, how do you like it?

Yea, I love my STi. So much fun to drive. Those Speed3's are fast, it can get a little hairy in the corners but still a blast to drive.

Yea its the slip-on, but I have not seen the full so I don't know if they make it, and its great! I love the sound, I can see the popping may get annoying as I start riding more but I love it for now.

Currently its making just under 100 HP to the rear wheel which is more they I anticipate using in the next few months but its there if I need it I guess...

DLSGAP

DLSGAP, you're in Midlothian? I was there quite a few times. At night though. I was hanging out with a friend.

Good lord why? There's not shit to do here

b-eock

Just hanging out at her house. And no, not anything like that. Just a friend.

But dude, as soon as I get all my stuff fixed up, checked and maintained. I'll come down there.

DLSGAP

Ha. No assumptions made. I'm going to be spending most of my free time in the next week or so on my other money pit... Need some range time to get the edge off for my chl class on the 13th

DossieBoy

Ha. No assumptions made. I'm going to be spending most of my free time in the next week or so on my other money pit... Need some range time to get the edge off for my chl class on the 13th

Nice, what do you shoot?

I just got an XDS 9mm but have yet to get to a range with it yet, kinda feels like a waste to not shoot. :cry4:

DLSGAP

+1 to another springfield owner...

I've got an Xd40 sub

Oh and if you need ammo, there's a guy in Midlothian that posted an ad on TX gun trader.. 500 rounds of 9mm for $180... 36cents per round isn't too bad these days

Last edited:

DossieBoy

+1 to another springfield owner...

I've got an Xd40 sub

Oh and if you need ammo, there's a guy in Midlothian that posted an ad on TX gun trader.. 500 rounds of 9mm for $180... 36cents per round isn't too bad these days

:eek: Oh! Do you have a link? I'm trying to sneak to the range, a bunch of people want to go but I hate going with a big group of people that don't shoot that much. They are more of a distraction...

DLSGAP

:eek: Oh! Do you have a link? I'm trying to sneak to the range, a bunch of people want to go but I hate going with a big group of people that don't shoot that much. They are more of a distraction...

Pm sent with link. I'm planning to try to hit a range tomorrow. Wanted to go yesterday but bullseye in Duncanville was closed and didn't feel like driving to grandprarie