New from Laurel, MD....

codename607

Hello,

I just took delivery of my very first motorcycle and I hope it was a good choice.

I’m in the Army and currently stationed in the DC area but originally I’m from NC. I’ve been looking to get a bike for the last 5 years or so and I finally pulled the trigger on a left over 2012 FZ8. Call me crazy but I purchased the bike and I don’t even have a motorcycle license yet, currently enrolled to take a course next week. Since the dealership only had two left I figured I would secure the deal on the bike before someone else came along.

So with that being said all I can do right now is look at the bike in the parking lot. I’ve already started purchasing aftermarket parts (fender eliminator, frame sliders and a different tail light) for the bike and I’m sure I will continue to find mods I like.

Other than riding dirt bikes as a kid this is going to be all new to me. So I hope the basic rider course that I’m taking next week covers enough to get me started. Any suggestions on parts for the bike and riding it would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to this new experience!

n00b

Avid Rider
Hello,

I just took delivery of my very first motorcycle and I hope it was a good choice.

I’m in the Army and currently stationed in the DC area but originally I’m from NC. I’ve been looking to get a bike for the last 5 years or so and I finally pulled the trigger on a left over 2012 FZ8. Call me crazy but I purchased the bike and I don’t even have a motorcycle license yet, currently enrolled to take a course next week. Since the dealership only had two left I figured I would secure the deal on the bike before someone else came along.

So with that being said all I can do right now is look at the bike in the parking lot. I’ve already started purchasing aftermarket parts (fender eliminator, frame sliders and a different tail light) for the bike and I’m sure I will continue to find mods I like.

Other than riding dirt bikes as a kid this is going to be all new to me. So I hope the basic rider course that I’m taking next week covers enough to get me started. Any suggestions on parts for the bike and riding it would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to this new experience!
Congrats. Did the same exact thing. Got the bike 2 days before taking my course. LOL. Sat in the garage till I completed the course. That was 8 months ago.

Just take it easy out there, and the bike is fine for beginners. Just because the 100 horses are there doesn't mean we're obligated to use them all on day 1.

cambo

Avid Rider
Hello,

Call me crazy but I purchased the bike and I don’t even have a motorcycle license yet, currently enrolled to take a course next week.

Hahah, same here...must be a Maryland thing lol. Except I bought mine at the start of winter and had to wait until spring for the MSF course. I couldn't wait that long and rode it around anyway. This was my first motorcycle but the experience on a dirtbike helped...especially during the MSF course.

Anyway, MSF course is awesome, glad to hear you signed up for that.

:welcome: and thank you for your service!

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Welcome to the forum, good choice on the bike it's a great and easy to ride bike. As a former marine I know what you should have access to class wise, take ALL the courses you can, I took the basic, experienced, sportbike, advanced, and the advanced track day ALL FREE! Look into them it's so worth it after the basic course you learn soooooo much more.

cambo

Avid Rider
Welcome to the forum, good choice on the bike it's a great and easy to ride bike. As a former marine I know what you should have access to class wise, take ALL the courses you can, I took the basic, experienced, sportbike, advanced, and the advanced track day ALL FREE! Look into them it's so worth it after the basic course you learn soooooo much more.

whoa whoa whoa...how do you get in on these free courses?

codename607

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

@ Cambo, on most military bases they offer those class. We just have to sign up through our commander.

tjfisher

:welcome:
Getting the bike first is a MD thing . I did the same thing but that was many years ago ('92) :eek:. Ive been told they dont do as much these days due to liability issues ,but anyway still a must have course .

n00b

Avid Rider
I got the bar ends - went back to the originals with extenders. If you're like them for the looks, that's one thing, but the higher position of the factory mirrors bring them in your peripheral vision without having to look down at the mirror. I bought the extenders, but machining my own now

codename607

I got the bar ends - went back to the originals with extenders. If you're like them for the looks, that's one thing, but the higher position of the factory mirrors bring them in your peripheral vision without having to look down at the mirror. I bought the extenders, but machining my own now

Yeah I like the look of the bar end mirrors, well I should say I like the look of no mirrors but I gotta stay legal.:D