New (eventual) owner

Rbk001

Hey guys, I've been lurking for quite awhile (at least 2 weeks or so) gathering as much information as possible before purchasing a new(to me)bike. Really love the naked genre of bikes and the FZ8 seems to be the best for me. I also like owning vehicles that you don't see every day, so this definitely fits that trend.

Hopefully will be purchasing in the next week or two. There are a couple i'm stalking waiting to drop in price.

I'm not a newb to forums so I know how to search quite well. I know what my first couple of mods will be, fender eliminator, motodynamic tail lights, etc. But one of the questions I have is about the rear suspension on the bike. I am a bigger guy 6'3 and 230 pounds and have some slight concerns about the stock suspension. What easy options are out there? (really don't know much about suspensions). I've been to racetech and have seen there aftermarket springs and have used the spring rate calculator. Is it easy to swap out the rear spring?

Look forward to riding and learning more from you guys!

Woody146

Banned
Welcome! Hope you get what your looking for for the right price! What year are you looking at? I ask this because 11,12 have slightly different suspension than the 13...the 13 is "adjustable" just not super adjustable....me and you have a similar build...my advice is to get an fz1 rear shock..gen2..I'm purchasing one for $50 this week..yes they are used..but if you search correct..you can find one that a person is going to upgrade...I've heard this is close to...if not better than race tech, an r1 swap, and ohlins(that's what I was going to get...over 3 grand) that takes care of the rear..for the front..it's gonna be race tech non adjustable set up for you. Or ohlins or andradi or however it's spelled....your looking like a g for legit suspension set up for YOU....

You can adjust the preload on all years to create the effect that you have suspension set up for you..this is just a bandaid...ride for a bit..get a feel of the bike..then do the suspension

MotoZen

^^ petty much what woody said. And welcome and good luck. If you want to be on the member map, let me know.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Rbk001

Welcome! Hope you get what your looking for for the right price! What year are you looking at? I ask this because 11,12 have slightly different suspension than the 13...the 13 is "adjustable" just not super adjustable....me and you have a similar build...my advice is to get an fz1 rear shock..gen2..I'm purchasing one for $50 this week..yes they are used..but if you search correct..you can find one that a person is going to upgrade...I've heard this is close to...if not better than race tech, an r1 swap, and ohlins(that's what I was going to get...over 3 grand) that takes care of the rear..for the front..it's gonna be race tech non adjustable set up for you. Or ohlins or andradi or however it's spelled....your looking like a g for legit suspension set up for YOU....

You can adjust the preload on all years to create the effect that you have suspension set up for you..this is just a bandaid...ride for a bit..get a feel of the bike..then do the suspension

Hopefully a 2011, but I think the one I was looking at is sold unfortunately. Probably a 2012 going to end up with a 2012 unless something new pops up.

How easy is the install?

Rbk001

^^ petty much what woody said. And welcome and good luck. If you want to be on the member map, let me know.

Go for it, zip code 27516. I will get one, just a matter of time .

Woody146

Banned
Hopefully a 2011, but I think the one I was looking at is sold unfortunately. Probably a 2012 going to end up with a 2012 unless something new pops up.

How easy is the install?

I'm not quite there yet as I'm still waiting to receive it...but I heard that it's 3 bolts and an hour and a half time tops....that's what's great about the fz1 shock..straight plug and play.

Rbk001

I'm not quite there yet as I'm still waiting to receive it...but I heard that it's 3 bolts and an hour and a half time tops....that's what's great about the fz1 shock..straight plug and play.

Awesome, I will keep an eye on your progress then!

Rbk001

So I found a sweet deal, will be picking it up Friday if all goes well. 2012 with 600 miles, warranty till 2017, with a carbon fiber Two Brothers exhaust for a little over $5,000. :woot:

Perron

So I found a sweet deal, will be picking it up Friday if all goes well. 2012 with 600 miles, warranty till 2017, with a carbon fiber Two Brothers exhaust for a little over $5,000. :woot:

Sounds like a pretty good deal! You will love it

MotoZen

Holy crap is that a great deal! Definitely a good move.

F3NIX

Welcome and enjoy that bike! Great deal on it too btw....lots of good guys on here dont be afraid to ask questions :)

Rbk001

Finally took some pictures:

And the Mrs.'s ride