New bike - most common/useful mods?

madmax

Hey fz8 owners! I've just joined the ranks with a used 2011 FZ8 that I found with really low miles, and after riding it home from the dealership the other day I was amazed! So much more powerful and nimble than my parents bikes.

There are a few mods that I know I want to do to the bike, mostly for looks/comfort/safety. The first is a integrated tail light turn signal with the brake alert flash. I've found two, the motodynamic and blasterX, and the one I'm leaning towards is the blaster X, due to it looking brighter in comparison youtube videos.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Blaster-X-Integrated-LED-Light/dp/B00BI2LMX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396416361&sr=8-1&keywords=fz8+blasterX"]Amazon.com: 2011, 2012 & 2013 Yamaha FZ8 Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light: Automotive[/ame]

I also want to get a windscreen, but I'm having a hard time finding one that seems like it will actually block any wind. The one's that I find the most are the Yamaha fly screen, which just seems too small to waste money on, and the puig dark smoke one, which looks silly ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Puig-5872F-Smoke-Generation-Windshield/dp/B007KAWMDG/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1396416931&sr=1-2&keywords=fz8+windscreen"]Amazon.com: Puig 5872F Dark Smoke New Generation Windshield: Automotive[/ame]). Any recommendations on what windscreen to buy, and where to buy from?

Last, after the dust has settled and I've had the bike for a while, I'll probably be looking into a slip on exhaust. The two that I think have the right looks/sound/cost combo right now are the Mivv GP, or the Arrow dark line exhaust. Any other exhaust suggestions in the 250 - 350 range?

Lastly, are there any very common/very useful mods I should know about?

Thanks all, cant wait to tear up the asphalt more when it gets warmer!

MotoZen

Welcome to the forum! Let me know where you are if you want me to add you to the member map!
The 8 really is a great bike. Personally, I can't see the blasterx bring that much brighter that it's worth double the cost of the motodynamic, but that's just my opinion.
Another popular windscreen is the givi. I got one used from someone on the forums and have mixed feelings. Overall, I like it. The wind still hits me, but it hits a bit higher. But I think it matches the look of the bike really well.
My favorite looking exhaust is the Coffman with the gold tip to match the forks. It's only $200, looks great and seems to be pretty loud. I'm leaning towards it myself when I can afford a slip on.
One of the up and coming favorite mods for many puerile is to get your ecu flashed. The two most popular companies are Flash Tune and Guhl Motors. This forum tends to like Guhl's flash, the other forum tends to like flash tune. Flash tune is cheaper and in California, Guhl has been in the business for a long time and is one of the originals to do ecu programming and is in PA. Both companies with do free reflashes if you make modifications. Look up some threads on them.
The other popular mod is the suspension. There are multiple of threads on here about it so just start reading.
What bikes do your parents have?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Perron

Welcome!

For your question about the flyscreen, there are some that partially block wind. I got the givi flyscreen. It's not as small as the yamaha one and not as big as some of the flyscreen that IMO kills the look of the 8.

As for the exhaust, the two-brother, akrapovic, yoshimura r-77D are pretty popular here. The Coffman exhaust is also a new one that seems to sound pretty good. I got a extremeblaster exhaust wich I like but I think I'm the only one around here haha!

Look around the forum and at the member's signatures and you will find tons of ideas! You will love the 8

Woody146

Banned
Welcome!! Try checking motorcycle websites such as stg.com...motomummy.com....cyclegear.com
And post some pics!

madmax

Welcome to the forum! Let me know where you are if you want me to add you to the member map! - motozen

It'd be great to be on the member map! I'm going to be in the Hartford, CT area come summer when I start my job. Also, for some background my parents rider a Kawasaki Vulcan 500, and a Suzuki Boulevard 800, so both cruisers. I learned on some dirt bikes and from there it was awkward riding in a cruiser position so I'm happy to be upright again!

Thanks for the suggestions for parts/mods/stores. I really like the look of the givi windscreen so hopefully I can find a store to get one. Their mysteriously absent from ebay.

Some pics of the bike, unfortunately its still cold with snow on the ground where I am, so not much riding yet =(

AndyS

Banned
There is some great info on this forum that I have found for modding ideas. Be sure to look at the other forum as well, the guys over there have some great ideas too. Its nice to have multiple places to get ideas and opinions from.

MotoZen

You're on the map at Hartford, CT for now. If you want it changed let me know.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Perron

It'd be great to be on the member map! I'm going to be in the Hartford, CT area come summer when I start my job. Also, for some background my parents rider a Kawasaki Vulcan 500, and a Suzuki Boulevard 800, so both cruisers. I learned on some dirt bikes and from there it was awkward riding in a cruiser position so I'm happy to be upright again!

Thanks for the suggestions for parts/mods/stores. I really like the look of the givi windscreen so hopefully I can find a store to get one. Their mysteriously absent from ebay.

Some pics of the bike, unfortunately its still cold with snow on the ground where I am, so not much riding yet =(

Here is a link to the same windscreen as mine (is picture is showing the gloss black one just contact the guy if you want to be sure you got the matte or the gloss)

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
:welcome: to the forum
A rabbitman headlight retrofit is an awesome way to set it apart, and a reflash will get you more bang for your buck until you can afford all your other bolt on power mods, then reflash for a final time.

And racetech springs front and rear, with emulators for your weight will set you up right......

I have a guhls reflash, and a moto dynamic rear light, amongst other mods, but these two are MUST haves IMHO......
The tail light is damn bright so I don't know how much brighter the other one is lol

Last edited:

mrarmy300

Pillion
Welcome!

For your question about the flyscreen, there are some that partially block wind. I got the givi flyscreen. It's not as small as the yamaha one and not as big as some of the flyscreen that IMO kills the look of the 8.

As for the exhaust, the two-brother, akrapovic, yoshimura r-77D are pretty popular here. The Coffman exhaust is also a new one that seems to sound pretty good. I got a extremeblaster exhaust wich I like but I think I'm the only one around here haha!

Look around the forum and at the member's signatures and you will find tons of ideas! You will love the 8

I'm a blaster fan too! Not sure I helped out my torque curve, but at least I can tell when the bike is on now and I shed 20lbs too!

F3NIX

I personally love my Yosh r77 carbon. I have a few buddies with various exhausts, I like the yosh and V&H sounds. Power Commander with exhaust upgrade for sure. Simple mods like mirrors, leds, radiator guard etc are easy and affordable.

The FZ8 is a beast of a machine, respect it but ride it like it was meant to be riden :)

OdinSon

I've got the Puig windscreen, bought it from Amazon. Zero regrets. It's cheap, works well, and actually suits the bike imo. I can't stand any other windscreens I've seen for this bike.

My favorite mod thus far that I just put on though are these reflective rim tapes:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G168F40/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: customTAYLOR Patented High Intensity Grade YELLOW/GOLD Reflective Rim/Wheel Tapes - #1 SAFETY USA TRON Super Motorcycles Bicycles Cars Trucks Scooters Vans ATVs Fixie Strips Stripes Mopeds Bikes: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Two Brothers exhaust with P1-X silencer tip. Sounds better, looks better, and with the tip on it isn't overly loud- just loud enough. Classy without being a 16 year old pimply faced douche nozzle (or mid life crisis, insecure, manergency, weekend warrior rumblin cruiser, loud pipes save lives 'merica!) look at me, I need attention and acknowledgment, momma didn't hold me enough as a baby- loud. Still has some sexy rumble though. So yeah, just the tip (yuk yuk yuk) is a worthy addition. And if my girlfriend leaves me for another bro-dude with a louder bike I can just take the tip and reassert my alpha male status in my quiet neighborhood full of little children and yapping dogs.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003177NP4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Two Brothers Racing Sound Suppression P1-X Powertip 005-P1-X: Automotive[/ame]

Frame sliders are a must in my book.

Fender Eliminator makes a huge difference aesthetically.

Heated grips are wonderful. I've got Oxford classic style ones, the sport ones were much more of a pain to grip- had them on my last bike (an fz6).

Handlebar cell phone mount. I use this one and love it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FHCR20/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: iOttie One-Touch Bike Mount Holder for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS iPod Touch Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Nokia Lumia 920 HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR MAXX Google Nexus LG Optimus G BlackBerry Z10 Torch Compact Size GPS: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

I ran a battery tender cable up to the handle bars and use a sae to usb power adapter to power my cell phone which I use as a gps.
I have this one:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SAE-USB-Adapter-Motorcycle-Charger/dp/B007VFFQRE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396586514&sr=8-2&keywords=sae+usb"]Amazon.com: SAE to USB Adapter - Motorcycle Cell Phone Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

But would not get it again. First one dies after a very short time. If this one dies Ill get this one instead:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HLXUQ1YRBV1W&coliid=I1RLXKF345W9WE"]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0158 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger: Automotive[/ame]

Oh and adjustable levers. I have expensive ASV shorties on my bike now but my last bike had $30 no name brand levers that worked just as well.

Last edited:

madmax

I've got the Puig windscreen, bought it from Amazon. Zero regrets. It's cheap, works well, and actually suits the bike imo. I can't stand any other windscreens I've seen for this bike.

My favorite mod thus far that I just put on though are these reflective rim tapes:

Amazon.com: customTAYLOR Patented High Intensity Grade YELLOW/GOLD Reflective Rim/Wheel Tapes - #1 SAFETY USA TRON Super Motorcycles Bicycles Cars Trucks Scooters Vans ATVs Fixie Strips Stripes Mopeds Bikes: Sports & Outdoors

Two Brothers exhaust with P1-X silencer tip. Sounds better, looks better, and with the tip on it isn't overly loud- just loud enough. Classy without being a 16 year old pimply faced douche nozzle (or mid life crisis, insecure, manergency, weekend warrior rumblin cruiser, loud pipes save lives 'merica!) look at me, I need attention and acknowledgment, momma didn't hold me enough as a baby- loud. Still has some sexy rumble though. So yeah, just the tip (yuk yuk yuk) is a worthy addition. And if my girlfriend leaves me for another bro-dude with a louder bike I can just take the tip and reassert my alpha male status in my quiet neighborhood full of little children and yapping dogs.

Amazon.com: Two Brothers Racing Sound Suppression P1-X Powertip 005-P1-X: Automotive

Frame sliders are a must in my book.

Fender Eliminator makes a huge difference aesthetically.

Heated grips are wonderful. I've got Oxford classic style ones, the sport ones were much more of a pain to grip- had them on my last bike (an fz6).

Handlebar cell phone mount. I use this one and love it.

Amazon.com: iOttie One-Touch Bike Mount Holder for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS iPod Touch Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Nokia Lumia 920 HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR MAXX Google Nexus LG Optimus G BlackBerry Z10 Torch Compact Size GPS: Cell Phones & Accessories

I ran a battery tender cable up to the handle bars and use a sae to usb power adapter to power my cell phone which I use as a gps.
I have this one:

Amazon.com: SAE to USB Adapter - Motorcycle Cell Phone Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

But would not get it again. First one dies after a very short time. If this one dies Ill get this one instead:

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0158 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger: Automotive

Oh and adjustable levers. I have expensive ASV shorties on my bike now but my last bike had $30 no name brand levers that worked just as well.

Do you have any pictures of your bike with the windscreen on it? It'd be nice to see it on someones actual bike not a stock photo.

atrinh

here are the pix of my 12 with GIVI wind screen + Two Brothers exhaust.

JDZIII

The very first thing you'll wanna do is upgrade ur suspension. Cause it cost the most. Do that
First.

Tix

The very first thing you'll wanna do is upgrade ur suspension. Cause it cost the most. Do that
First.

You know, a lot of riders say this. I find it odd though, because the 8 was a perfect fit for me on factory defaults. The ride is just so smooth, I love it.

I know suspension settings are based a lot on rider weight, etc... maybe I lucked out?

My personal fav mod (thus far) are the bar end mirrors. Its extremely nice to be able to see everything behind you and not just get a good look at your arms.

9 Lives

You know, a lot of riders say this. I find it odd though, because the 8 was a perfect fit for me on factory defaults. The ride is just so smooth, I love it.

I know suspension settings are based a lot on rider weight, etc... maybe I lucked out?

My personal fav mod (thus far) are the bar end mirrors. Its extremely nice to be able to see everything behind you and not just get a good look at your arms.

I like the stock suspension also, but I don't take it to the track and there are not many twisties around here to make me want to upgrade.

Perron

Same here. The suspension if perfectly fine for me. But the 8 is my first bike, so I don't have anything to compare to..

atrinh

the suspension is fine for me. prob because im only 130lbs??? but the seat is horrible. I only ride 1-1.5hr per day but the seat really hurts my a$$.
I had monster 795, could ride on it for few hours and doesnt hurt me at all.
Does anyone have other suggestion for another seat? I just want a softer, more comfortable seat, but no increase seat height (i'm only 5.4ft)

Woody146

Banned
the suspension is fine for me. prob because im only 130lbs??? but the seat is horrible. I only ride 1-1.5hr per day but the seat really hurts my a$$.
I had monster 795, could ride on it for few hours and doesnt hurt me at all.
Does anyone have other suggestion for another seat? I just want a softer, more comfortable seat, but no increase seat height (i'm only 5.4ft)

You also have a nice gytr radiator cover;)

Check out Corbin seats out of hollister...they mold your ass and then make the seat...super comfortable...and you can ride there and not deal with shipping