New Bike Chain Grease Splatter.

HeresMyMind

After searching countless threads, i only found stuff on cleaning the chain itself but not all the slop it throws over the rear wheel, chain guard, swing arm, and other parts on the bike.

Well I figured out how to clean it with ease.

Soap/Water - NOPE
Simple Green - NOPE
Rim Cleaner - NOPE

WD40 - DING DING DING

A slight spray of WD40 and the grease came off everything, I then wiped it dry/clean and then did another clean with actual rim cleaner/plastic cleaner for the plastic parts.

I then cleaned the entire chain / rear sprocket with WD40 to remove the dirt. Then followed up with a good dry chain lube.

Just food for thought for people with new chains / bikes that didn't know how to clean it like me.

-B

Woody146

Banned
Clean chain while it's hot (after a ride) and then wait 30 mins before you ride it..it will not throw grease and wax everywhere

HeresMyMind

good to know. mine was just over packed with stuff from it being Brand new. a good clean and relube and its doing great. I use Klotz KLR chain lube, it works great, very little over spray, and doesn't attract dirt.

-B

Woody146

Banned
Another trick..get 2 clean rags/ towels (they will be garbage after)

Spray a generous amount of wd 40 on the rag, cup your hand with the rag around the chain....spin rear wheel while on stand.

With the second rag...spray generous amounts of the wax on it..do the same thing. Boom..mess free clean / waxed chain..no need for overspray cleaning

RD GUY

there is already a thread on this,wd40 is not good on your chain leaves the inside pins/rollers to coroade ,as well as brake clean read the can not good on rubber parts (O-rings) kerosene is the preferred cleaning method .

Woody146

Banned
there is already a thread on this,wd40 is not good on your chain leaves the inside pins/rollers to coroade ,as well as brake clean read the can not good on rubber parts (O-rings) kerosene is the preferred cleaning method .

I asked someone about the kerosene and they said it will eat the o rings. And then I've heard that wd 40 corrodes..(it does..my chain has rust spots and it does not touch water)....I'm about to pull the trigger on a d.i.d erv3 chain and don't want that to rust..what else is there to clean it?

dabner

Don't use kerosene! It washes out any lube deep within the chain, and it becomes noisy... been there, done that.
Use the WD40 with a rag, don't spray the whole chain, just the rag. The rag won't allow enough on the chain to wash it out. Once clean, re lube the chain. I go to the extent of squirting a little lube between each link, on the outsides and insides. Yes, it's time consuming. And then wipe excess off.

myklobe

I've ridden dirt bikes and street bikes my entire life, and I clean with WD40 (rag style like Woody said).

I let it dry for about 20 mins, so it's mostly all evaporated (practically all here in Utah with no humidity), and then I soak the chain with whatever chain lube I have (right now it's Motul). I overspray the chain with lube and cup around the chain with my rag and spin the wheel. I usually clean my chain at night so it has all night to dry (overkill, but I've never had a bunch of chain lube thrown on my bike).

I've never had a real big problem with rust, but then again, I do clean my chain at least twice a month and I live where it's dry. I asked my cousin that also races MotoX and runs a Motor Sports dealership in OK and he too says the WD40, dry, overspray the lube and rub clean works perfectly fine.

I haven't tried kerosene, but I guess I'd be willing one of these days.

OdinSon

I use this to clean the chain: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Motorcycle-Degreaser-Net-M00110101/dp/B003OBM5EQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402524374&sr=8-1&keywords=dupont+degreaser"]Amazon.com: DuPont(R) Motorcycle Degreaser, Net Wt 11 oz. (M00110101): Automotive[/ame]

I usually clean it twice with a scrub brush and power washer.

Then I let it dry completely and coat it with this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant-11-Ounce/dp/B001B0VDC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402524435&sr=8-1&keywords=dupont+chain"]Amazon.com: DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant, 11-Ounce: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Then let it dry completely. The stuff repels water and grime and isn't anywhere near as messy as standard lube/grease.

Both can be found at Walmart too.

RD GUY

when you wipe the outside of your chain is not cleaning it,also read the can of chain lube its tells you how to properly lube your chain .

Woody146

Banned
Just so we can put the whole "what do I use to clean my chain?"issue to bed..

I am waiting on arrival on a gold race chain and want it to last the 20,000 miles it is supposed to

Woody146

Banned
this was more of how to clean chain grease splatter off the other parts on your bike.. but sure that too!

-B

Brake cleaner on a rag...then wipe with windex or rubbing alcohol to make sure it's all off...

That was in response to the kerosene/ wd40 aspect of this thread...I will be buying both products..and if done correctly..should not splatter anything

Larry P

I have a particular brand of brake parts cleaner that would strip paint. Makes me hella nervous about using it near the bike. The whole WD-40 eating chains is a myth for modern X ring chains. The older chains from the 90s were negatively affected by it but modern chains are fine with it. Kerosene should be safe on X ring style as well but I don't have a source for that. I've stuck with Motorex chain clean and sometimes maxima brand. They all have a similar effect.