New bike accent color?

FZ8Ryder

Hey guys I've recently been contemplating using some of the blaze yellow plasti-dip (hi-viz yellow) and making some bolts and random small parts on my bike hi-viz yellow as accents. I have the 2012 FZ8 matte grey paint scheme and I think the hi-viz accents would look pretty awesome.
Just thought I'd get all of your opinion on it. Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FZ8Ryder

Well it would just be small accents like some bolt heads and the like. So not much for visibility.
Yeah I've noticed its kind of half and half with people's preference on it.

Bagman

Since you asked - I don't think it'll look good. I looked up Blaze Yellow/Plasti-Dip and - indeed - it's Hi-Viz yellow, and there are images of gray vehicles with that colour wheel, etc. It's your bike, and AFAIK Plasti-Dip is not permanent so go for it! It might work, but my gut says no. I get the idea of an accent colour, but to me the accent should be subtle and really tie in with the rest. Blaze Yellow is TOO much.

Just spit-balling, but what about hi-gloss silver/chrome accents? Definitely not more blue, and black isn't colour... Hmm... Small bits of certain oranges or yellows would work. Darker, more matte oranges or yellows... Anyhoo - I've given this too much thought. lol.

nightttime

Since you asked - I don't think it'll look good. I looked up Blaze Yellow/Plasti-Dip and - indeed - it's Hi-Viz yellow, and there are images of gray vehicles with that colour wheel, etc. It's your bike, and AFAIK Plasti-Dip is not permanent so go for it! It might work, but my gut says no. I get the idea of an accent colour, but to me the accent should be subtle and really tie in with the rest. Blaze Yellow is TOO much.

Just spit-balling, but what about hi-gloss silver/chrome accents? Definitely not more blue, and black isn't colour... Hmm... Small bits of certain oranges or yellows would work. Darker, more matte oranges or yellows... Anyhoo - I've given this too much thought. lol.

Your spit has landed on my bike, because I've gone more anodized blue and it looks really good in my opinion. When I've got the bike out this summer, if I remember, I will take a pic and show you where the spit landed! HA.

Edit: I got ASV blue levers, blue bar ends, blue reflective neon rim tape, and blue/white (almost xenon looking) color headlight bulb, flush front turn signals with blue anodized backing, and blue anodized pillion pegs in the rear so far. I really dig it, and blue is my favorite color. I've got the 2013 FZ8 grey/black matte bike.

Last edited:

nightttime

Wow, cool! I dig that paint. Is that a 2008? I was lucky and got into this bike last year so I went for the 2013 with black fully adjustable front forks.

FZ8Ryder

Bagman definitely not too much thought. Haha I appreciate the thoughts. I spoke with the girlfriend and she had the same thoughts. The gold forks would definitely not look right with the hi viz. I'd have to make them black.
The girlfriend thought it would make the bike look too much like a toy.
Oh well. Maybe just more black ;) already have a black aluminum engine bolt kit.
Thanks again.

Dang the blue accents sounds cool and that blue fz8 is a slick looking bike.

Bagman

Have you purchased the Yamaha Sub-Cowl yet? I'd be curious to see that thing Plasti-Dip'd Blaze Yellow on your bike! Actually, why not take a page from the automotive world, and use Blaze Yellow on your wheels!

On my 2011 for this spring I plan to get the sub-cowl in the blue. Wouldn't mind getting Rizoma's rear spools in gold either. My personal taste is to be quite minimal on the itsy bits of accent colours like bar-ends, various screws, etc. IMO, the FZ8 (and S) looks hefty, with lots of exposed black bulk of the engine. Keep it manly, and avoid the glitz that might otherwise look good on a slick, slim Supersport.

FZ8Ryder

No I don't have the sub cowl. I've seen a guy with a all black Kawasaki zx10 with blaze yellow wheels and it looked pretty cool. A bit much for me though.
Haha I know what you mean. I think I might stick with black.

9 Lives

super clean! love that seat. what rack is that on the back end?

Its the Yamaha rack, you can get it from the Canadian Yamaha accessories site. I don't think they have it on the US site. Most of the Shad boxes fit on it. The seat cover is Lumoto with the gel insert, I covered it myself.