New Back Tire

mikefz8

Just wrapped my rear tire with a 190/50zr17 Michelin Pilot Pro 2CT. The old battle ax was getting flat and nearly showing threads was definitely time for an upgrade!

Jacek3743

Just wrapped my rear tire with a 190/50zr17 Michelin Pilot Pro 2CT. The old battle ax was getting flat and nearly showing threads was definitely time for an upgrade!

can you show us the front of it? I wanna see how wide it looks!

mikefz8

190v180 is 10millimeters difference or 0.393701 inches wider. However the rim isn't any wider so the tire in theory will pucker up a bit making the profile "taller" thus losing some of the "wider" from the 190. Also in theory it is supposed to make turning more difficult. I don't think I am a good enough rider to know the difference anyway. I basically know that when the peg feelers/scraper thingies make noise I know I have run out of talent and that I have reached my comfort level of "lean". Nonetheless here is a picture of what you were asking for :) I do like how it looks and i am thankful for the plentiful rubber. FYI the last back tire lasted me 8,334 miles -- granted I probably should have changed it a few miles back, but good tread life from the stock battle axe which had seen the track twice.

Last edited:

Jacek3743

Nice! I'm looking at the 190 as my next size for the tire. The 180 for me is pretty easy to lean on (even when I had way too low of air pressure) so the 190 I doubt will be much different. I don't ride as hard as some people on here so I know what you're talking about. Thanks for the picture!

mikefz8

Nice! I'm looking at the 190 as my next size for the tire. The 180 for me is pretty easy to lean on (even when I had way too low of air pressure) so the 190 I doubt will be much different. I don't ride as hard as some people on here so I know what you're talking about. Thanks for the picture!

@Jacek...You are welcome for the pic. I know my limits and enjoy the scrape, but know that is my limit...I wont let myself get past that point.

@Nore, I have maybe 2 miles on the tire so far, but it feels quite a bit more grippy. I will keep you posted a little later as I am slated to go around 60 more today :)

dalco450

Nice tire!

But, something's wrong with your bike, can you see the difference? It's not the exhaust.

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
Right on dude...looks awesome! I slapped a 190 on mine as well, love the fatter look...I went with the Pilot Road 3 though.

mikefz8

Your axle's nut is on the wrong side. So you can't torque correctly.

Thanks for pointing it out for me by the way.

So what should I tell the shop about the cons of having it installed incorrectly---like what do I tell them why they need to change it? and that they are idiots blah blah blah

DanS

Commuter
Thanks for pointing it out for me by the way.

So what should I tell the shop about the cons of having it installed incorrectly---like what do I tell them why they need to change it? and that they are idiots blah blah blah
Tell them to refer to chapter 4 page 15 of the yamaha fz8 service manual and 7-39 of the owners manual or do it yourself, (108'# torque on the axle nut and drive chain slack is 0.79"–1.18"). Or you could jump on that bad a$$ FZ8 and ride south east for two long days and I'd be more than happy to help you out :) .. The adjusting block on the left side captures the head of the axle bolt and prevents rotation. Love the Michelin 190 BTW, thats what I've got my sights set on.

NORE

Thanks for the answer. Hopping to hear more.
Now a question to any. If I put a wider tire in the back do have to do the same with the front? How that affects the bike's geometry and ride?
Just curious.

Larry P

Can't put a wider tire on the front, wider rear doesn't bother front tire. Only noticable diff with the 190 will be slower times to lean angle. And it sits a bit lower because of the smaller sidewall. Won't be hugely noticable but the part you will notice is probably going from stock tire to anything decent mid-high end.