Need suspension help

Hey all, I just sold my 07 R1 and bought a 2011 FZ8. I am getting older and my back, keens and backside were telling me it was time to start riding something a little more comfortable. I have been riding “R” type bikes since the mid 80s so it was a hard choice. But some ware in there I rode a Z1000 for a couple years and I liked the naked ride. The FZ8 looked good, was comfortable and I could afford it, that’s always nice. As I have been getting use to it I have learned to love it, but! I still have those urges, I live in a place called Canyon Country for god sake. I have my choice of five different canyons with in a few miles of house. So after a few weekends of canyon riding I have found the bike’s suspension issues. It dives deep under hard braking and the clearance, well my pegs are getting a workout. Now to the point has anyone upgraded the suspension on the bike? If so what have you done? How did it work? Did it break the bank? I have read an article CW magazine and they dropped a grand on the suspension and they said it fixed the issues. Before I drop a grand on I bike I just bought I would like to hear from some who have ridden this for more than time it took to write an article.

impostor1981

Well I ve put FZ1 forks with 7.5WT oil, put adjustable lightech rearsets and waiting for quotes about rear schock. So far spent 700 pounds and will probably have to pay 500 for rea shock. Did not get a proper test yet just 60 miles in cold conditions but it behaves so much better under the breaking, no more diving and it turns in quicker too

I was hoping that stiffer shocks would eliminate the need for rear sets. The bike is comfortable and I like the seating position. I guess you can't have everything. Thanx for the feedback I will see about FZ1 forks. What year FZ1 was the donor and did they bolt right in? Ohlins makes a rear shock for the bike a YA009 but it is $600.00.

impostor1981

2008 was the one I got. Bolt on straight away. 2006 till present will fit. I had a look at that Ohlins but its a basic one and I want some more adjustment range as I am planning to take it to the track, hence adjustable rearsets hence rearsets ;-)

Speedo007

I read somewhere a guy had put a 190 tire at the bike and he said it improved ground clearance slightly (doesnt take much sometimes to go from scrapping to not scrapping).

It's often cheaper to buy a higher end bike that will have adjustable suspensions out the dealer floor. I can only dream of having a few canyons around here and if it was the case I'd certainly be a bit dissapointed with suspension, but with the road conditions I have, they are pretty decent.

Living in So Cal bike rides are in heaven, I was born here and have been riding the canyons for twenty some odd years. Ten miles from my house is Angeles Crest hwy. Five minutes from my house is Bouquet Canyon. It is approximately fifteen miles long and someone once told me that there were ninety three turns. I am not sure if that is true but it is a beautiful place to ride. I live on Soledad Canyon and the twisties start less than two miles from my house. Oh what a life!

C

Camo

I'm looking into cheaper solutions at the moment.
As far as other riders changing the rear on a budget, '04 R1 Rear shock slightly mod'd and/or R6 rear shock slightly mod'd seems to gain slight improvement for very little outlay.
I was also talking to a guy yesterday who thinks a higher end spring and a re-valve may be a simple patch for the interim.

The Fz1 site has a few threads about suspension upgrades but keep in mind a little further modification is needed for those mod's to take to our bike.

TundraTim

The nose diving is more than I thought it would be, so I began looking for stiffer springs. Think I am going to go with .95kg/mm springs from Race Tech along with a mix of 7.5wt and 5wt oil.

Hellgate

Get a set of '04 R1 forks and brakes. Night and day from the FZ1 fork; more compliant, much better adjustment, and radial mount brakes. They are also ~7 mm shorter and quicken the turn in of the bike.

The cost of R1 and FZ1 forks is about the same, the effort is the same, so get the better fork.

For a shock the Penske 8900E is an outstanding value at $590, or the double at $780.

MD Racing Street & Track Performance

C

Camo

Only problem for me Hellgate is that the 8900E shipped comes to $780.50 and the R1 conversion isn't a cheap exercise either.
It's just an expense I can't afford at this point...Though that link you gave is the cheapest I've seen the Penske and I've added it to my favourites in the event I pass go and collect $780.50.
Thanks.