Need Help

soloco48

I had a runin with gravel a few days ago and had to ditch my bike as i lost control of it. now its leaking oil from this nut (or bolt) and im trying to find out how to fix it or what i should do.thumbnail.jpg

the cosmetic part i can deal with but not sure why its leaking

Last edited:

Torbeach

It's not clear from the picture where it is leaking however I would suggest replacing it with a new cover and plug. Not sure what year your bike is but the parts seem to be the same for the different model years. From the picture it looks like you would need Parts 1, 8, 9 and 10 shown at the following link however you would need to confirm.

213 Yamaha FZ8 (FZ8ND) Crankcase Cover 1 | MRCycles

For torque specs you can refer to the service manual in the Engine section. Try page 5-33.

9 Lives

There is plug in the center with a o-ring, probably leaking from the o-ring. I would look at the cover very closely to see if there are any cracks. You can buy the plug and new o-ring to see if that stops the leak. The 3 bolts around the plug hold the alternator stator and have sealing washers on them, possibly one of those are leaking. You can buy just the sealing washers also.

rug_burn

THat's right, what '9 lives' said-(nice orange cat)

You probably have at least a hairline crack on that inner cover or plug, maybe on the outside one too . If you want to be really lazy, and economical, you could just fill the crack with something, with what depends on how clean you can get it. If you can get it really clean, fill it with superglue, and let it go off really good. That'll make it stronger, too, and maybe it'll last till you get rid of the bike. If not so good and clean, try some gasket material, silicone or bondo, applied to the inside of the part.

4x15mph

soloco48, I like the previous posts and ideas. I would check the price of replacing it correctly if you do longer trips. Can you share any lessons learned on the gravel? I am a new rider so what would you have done differently? Avoid it altogether, go slower, other?

soloco48

[MENTION=4959]4x15mph[/MENTION] I tried to follow the precautions and warnings more experienced riders have given me witch is don't leave with your hands but instincts kicked in and now I have four fractured bones in my left hand. As for the gravel I mean nothing can really prepare you for it, you either hot it at a good spot that you can manage it off it or you lose control of the bike. Unfortunately in my situation it was 2am getting off work and the weather too a bad turn and was 20°. I kept telling myself leave the bike and get a ride home from a co worker but decided to ride instead. First right turn I made, I was in the ground. The positive side to it ( I guess) is that my commanding officer was waiting for something like this to happen because he has been putting in a work order for a street sweeper to come for months and every time it has been ignored. Do I guess I took one for the team.

4x15mph

[MENTION=4957]soloco48[/MENTION] - thanks for the response and lessons learned info. Sorry to hear about your hand and I hope you have a quick recovery