NEED HELP STARTER ISSUE

so i rode my bike back from work got home parked turned it off about a hour later rode it to the store came back and parked it again. then i was ready to leave for work and go head to turn it on so the bike warms up and i notice my cluster light is on very dim tho. keep in mind no key in the ignition. so i put key in turn it to start and the starter just stays on by it self. and its been doing that for about a hour now. took bike apart checked wiring and everything seems fine kinda stuck now. i think it might be the starter relay.

Please help need bike to get to work and school. have not other ride because wife takes the car to work.

thanks guys

master paper clip

so i rode my bike back from work got home parked turned it off about a hour later rode it to the store came back and parked it again. then i was ready to leave for work and go head to turn it on so the bike warms up and i notice my cluster light is on very dim tho. keep in mind no key in the ignition. so i put key in turn it to start and the starter just stays on by it self. and its been doing that for about a hour now. took bike apart checked wiring and everything seems fine kinda stuck now. i think it might be the starter relay.

Please help need bike to get to work and school. have not other ride because wife takes the car to work.

thanks guys

Still under warranty? That or see how much the relay is and start there

D

DJK1505

First, you can always push start ur bike. Disconnect the starter, and push start it. Most likely the relay has stuck. Does the bendix just stay spinning all the time?

DJ

the starter disconnected would work thanks for that. i ordered a relay should be in wed but it stoped doing it for some reason gong to put some wd40 in the igintion just in case there is water in there tho.

socal

I say the relay also. it sounds like the circuit is staying closed hence starter stays on until completely out of power. so no warranty?

I do have warranty I have the 4 year extra YES but the relay was 29 dollars so that cheaper and trying to get bike to dealer. Dealer said that it is 99.9% the relay. Thanks a lot all you

D

Deleted member 438

Kinda early for that relay to fail. See if they'll pay for the part.

F

Fazed

I know it sounds basic, but have you checked your fuses. Also as you have had stuff apart to diagnose the starter motor, re-check everything that you have played with. Is the battery fully charged? Are you getting the usual noise when you turn the ignition to the on position?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it sounds basic, but have you checked your fuses. Also as you have had stuff apart to diagnose the starter motor, re-check everything that you have played with. Is the battery fully charged? Are you getting the usual noise when you turn the ignition to the on position?

the fuses were the first thing i check and the starter doesnt stay on all the time now. the works how it should now which is werid. i am getting fuel just now spark now. thats why i believe its the ecu.

D

DJK1505

Call your dealer. Speak to one of the service writers and make sure this will be covered under warranty. They should not deny you anything because of replacing the relay. Have you done any other mods?

DJ

F

Fazed

Yeah, I forgot about the warranty. Best way is to make it someone else's problem.

In case you want to have a go yourself. It could be getting no spark because of a faulty coil, faulty crankshaft sensor, faulty rotor pickup, faulty cylinder id sensor and ECU. So plenty to check before blaming the ECU. Check all connections are secure. It is unlikely to be the coils if it not firing at all, as there is 4 of them and they are unlikely to fail at the same time and the engine will start and run on 2 cylinders.

Don't trust engine fault codes, well use them as a guide. A sensor can still be stuffed but as long as it works with certain parameters the ecu won't throw up a code. E.g. An air temp sensor normal may read 30 degrees as 1.2 volts and the sensor has an operating range between 0.5 to 1.5v, but if it's faulty it may give a reading of 0.7 volts at 30 degrees. Not right, but not out of the normal range so the ECU doesn't throw up a code.

On the flip side I had a car that had a engine fault code that indicated the radiator temp sensor was faulty. Someone else jumped to the conclusion that a new radiator temp sensor was required. I had a look and inspected the wiring loom. The cable tie that held it up and out of the way had broken and the loom was resting on the exhaust pipe and burned through a couple of wires. It was a simple broken wire and no new sensor was needed.

I hope that all makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

reALIGNed

I don't understand something here, you bought the extended warranty, yet, your trying to figure this thing out, and, your paying for the parts, . :scratch: If you end up taking it in for repairs, the dealer just might tell you its no longer covered once they see you've had it apart, (its in the fine print). Just curious.:idk:

D

DJK1505

hell sometimes I think I can fix it quicker than just taking it in, but you are right some dealers are dicks and will try to deny you coverage because you tinkered with it. Just give em a call and tell them your hurtin for your bike and really need help.

DJ

this weekend i am going to check all the wiring and sensors by the yamaha service manual. the dealer i go to motorworld of el cajon are pretty awesome when i got the relay i was talking to them about it and they said to bring it in. i told them for 29 bucks i'd rather try the relay then find a pick-up to drive my bike to the dealer. they were cool about it and said to bring it in if that doesnt work. i also has all stock parts which i'll put back on before i take it there.

H

Hoover

Does the extended warranty not cover towing?

I'll be amazed if it doesn't. I've towed hundreds of bikes into dealers over the years that had extended warranties and the dealer always picked up the bill.