My fz8 won't stay running

Derek662

Ok so I got into an accident back in April and pretty much totaled my bike. I been replacing parts slowly and finally got it all back together but now my fz8 won't stay running. What it does is idle for like 30 secs and then sounds like it runs out I gas. If you try to hit the throttle it instantly dies. My speedo is still smashed so I can't see what the error code is. Any thoughts on what this could be. I'm thinking it's just a relay but I'm at kind of at a loss

JSP

Administrator
Fuel pump bad maybe? Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key? Or an injector issue?

OdinSon

Is everything connected correctly under the gas tank?

I know one time I was working on my FZ6 and forgot to plug an electrical connector back into the gas tank and nearly stalled on the highway. Had to pull over into a nearby business parking lot and take my bike apart there.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Derek662

Yeah I can hear the fuel pump kick on like normal and when it is running it sounds fine. I only had 4200 miles on it before my accident. I'll check my connection to the injectors maybe it's not getting enough voltage. The battery doesn't have a full charge but it turns over good enough to start it.

Derek662

Is everything connected correctly under the gas tank?

I know one time I was working on my FZ6 and forgot to plug an electrical connector back into the gas tank and nearly stalled on the highway. Had to pull over into a nearby business parking lot and take my bike apart there.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I believe so. I mean maybe I mixed up the 2 connectors to the fuel pump but I believe they are different. I'll post some pics of the build when I get them transferred to my new phone

9 Lives

When you turn the ignition switch on a relay will turn on the fuel pump for a few seconds to pressurize the system then shut if off. When you turn your bike on the noises you hear are the fuel pump and the secondary flies setting, after that everything is quiet. When you start the bike the fuel pump turns on as soon as there is oil pressure. This system is for safety reasons if your in a crash, if there is no oil pressure the fuel pump will shut off. Don't want fuel spraying all over the place if a fuel line is ruptured during a crash. Most cars have the same system.

It sounds to me like they pump is not being turned on after is starts for some reason, just a guess.

Derek662

When you turn the ignition switch on a relay will turn on the fuel pump for a few seconds to pressurize the system then shut if off. When you turn your bike on the noises you hear are the fuel pump and the secondary flies setting, after that everything is quiet. When you start the bike the fuel pump turns on as soon as there is oil pressure. This system is for safety reasons if your in a crash, if there is no oil pressure the fuel pump will shut off. Don't want fuel spraying all over the place if a fuel line is ruptured during a crash. Most cars have the same system.

It sounds to me like they pump is not being turned on after is starts for some reason, just a guess.

Hmm I'll check my fuel pump relay also. Maybe it's bad cause the tank got knocked off during the accident

9 Lives

Oh, one more thing, it may not use oil pressure to tell if the engine is running or not. It may use one of the other sensors like the crank position sensor to perform this function. Oil pressure is most commonly used but I would have to check the wiring diagram to figure it out, it may also tell you in the shop manual

Rotaryknight

I would try and wire in a 12v lead to the fuel pump and bypass any other sensors or relays that powers the fuel pump. But, the fuel pump relay also powers the fuel injectors.

9 Lives

I believe the main relay is also involved in this circuit. Again you will have to look at the wiring diagram to figure out how it works. You could also back probe the fuel pump connector with a multimeter and see if the power comes back after it's started. This is only a guess my part, other things could cause this problem, like a bad TPS for example.

Last edited:

Derek662

I got it running now but I think I may have a bad plug or bad coil. One of the cylinders is not firing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 249

9 Lives

I got it running now but I think I may have a bad plug or bad coil. One of the cylinders is not firing.

Just out of curiosity, what was causing the original problem?

A couple of ppl have had bad coils, may be the problem if not the spark plug.

Last edited:

9 Lives

If the coil was bad wouldn't it throw a code tho? I don't have an engine light on or a code

It will only indicate a code if there is an open or short in the circuit, resistance may be out of spec but not enough to throw a code..