My 8, down :(

TallGuyNW

Last Thursday, I went on my first group ride after having my 8 for a year. I was near the back of the 10 bike group and we had almost finished the fun twisty portion of the ride, until...

Coming through an S-curve, the bike directly in front of me took the right curve a little tight and went into the gravel on the right side of the road. He made it out, but, proving the rule that you go where you look, I ended up in the gravel also and wasn't quite as lucky. I went into the ~1ft deep ditch, hit a bump and the bike flew to the left, back into the road, and I flew off to the right, into the side of the hill.

All the riders came back and stayed with me until the ambulance came, and several stayed until my bike could be towed away. I ended up with a dislocated right shoulder, which hurt like #@($&. My back was also kinda sore, but other than that, no other injuries - no bruises, no scratches. Even though my head did hit the ground, I have no effects from that. My gear definitely did its job!

As far as the bike goes... most of the damage was to the plastics just on the left side... up front and in back. The left peg broke off and the shifter was bent, and the left bar-end and bar-end mirror broke off. Doesn't appear to be any damage whatsoever to the engine (frame sliders FTW!).

The frame was lightly scratched from the bent shifter, and the rear spool broke off leaving the threaded bolt portion still in the hole in the frame. I brought the bike to the shop yesterday and hopefully I'll hear soon what they say. I am a little concerned though because they said the bike could be totaled because of the scratches on the frame. We'll see...

I think I'm pretty damn lucky though!

Rotaryknight

damn, glad you are ok though!

You must be sliding into the gravel pretty fast to get the rocks embed into the rim like that.

Gravel, the bane of motorcyclists.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Glad you came out of it mostly unscathed. ATGATT for the win.

As far as the bike goes, if the frame is straight, is repairing everything except the frame scratches an option? You could sandpaper the area, clean it thoroughly with a degreaser, alcohol, etc, then use rustoleum or other sealing paint to prevent any rust. Could save you from having to total it out...

Take care of yourself!

TallGuyNW

Just got the estimate from the shop... around $5600 :eek: and they just sent a copy to my insurance company.

The shop & insurance company guarantees repairs to pre-loss condition, and a painted over scratch on the frame isn't pre-loss condition. Another example is the left-rear spool... The spool broke off and left the bolt in the hole in the swingarm. Just drilling out the bolt and rethreading the hole isn't pre-loss condition, so they quote a replacement of the swingarm. Were it me, I wouldn't replace that portion of the frame or the swingarm, as long as there weren't any structural issues.

I haven't dealt with a totaled vehicle before, but my understanding is that the insurance will give me a check for the current value, and would also come up with a buy-back price. If that price is low enough, I'll just buy the bike back and use the leftover insurance money to replace/repair the things I want replaced/repaired, again, assuming there aren't any structural issues. The downside is that it'd have a salvage title and I think that will make it harder to sell for a reasonable price.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Just got the estimate from the shop... around $5600 :eek: and they just sent a copy to my insurance company.

The shop & insurance company guarantees repairs to pre-loss condition, and a painted over scratch on the frame isn't pre-loss condition. Another example is the left-rear spool... The spool broke off and left the bolt in the hole in the swingarm. Just drilling out the bolt and rethreading the hole isn't pre-loss condition, so they quote a replacement of the swingarm. Were it me, I wouldn't replace that portion of the frame or the swingarm, as long as there weren't any structural issues.

I haven't dealt with a totaled vehicle before, but my understanding is that the insurance will give me a check for the current value, and would also come up with a buy-back price. If that price is low enough, I'll just buy the bike back and use the leftover insurance money to replace/repair the things I want replaced/repaired, again, assuming there aren't any structural issues. The downside is that it'd have a salvage title and I think that will make it harder to sell for a reasonable price.

It definitely sounds totaled to me.

I have progressive and they just totaled my FZ8 out. I took the title down to them and they cut me a check for the bike and another check for the riding gear that was damaged.

fzmedic

I went down pulling in a driveway.

I just went down yesterday pulling into a driveway. I wish I could have recorded it. front tire slid out on mud. hit the gas started to pull out of it and busted my ass on the lawn. The 8 has a touch of scratches on the engine guard. I went ass over tea kettle did a half cartwheel before driving my right shoulder into the mud. My modular was open and man did I ever eat mud. Mud and street tire do not mix.

JSP

Administrator
Very sorry to hear that!!!

I dislocated my shoulder in my wreck too and not fun. :(

RoadKill

Damn! you got a bit unlucky on that one id say. I know how everyone likes to point out that it could be worse, but you can pretty much say that with any wreck. Anytime someone goes down gets injured and damage adds up like that id say that is not lucky ;) At least you had insurance though!

I quit group riding because like you, I went down because of the group. seems like when riders get together the risk go way up.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I quit group riding because like you, I went down because of the group. seems like when riders get together the risk go way up.

I was in a group ride when I went down on Sunday. The only group rides that I will be going on from now on are either charity rides with cruisers or with a couple other familiar riders. I won't be getting together with 15-20 sportbikes again.

Evad

One thing I can add, after having dislocated my left shoulder 11 times and having two different surgeries on that same shoulder: follow a strict physio treatment! Dont dick around like I did on my first accident, once it has popped its prone to happen again if you dont take care of it. Sorry about the crash man!

F3NIX

Wow...makes me want to hop on my bike and go group ride! Not!!

Tough to read threads like this, but please keep in mind that it could have been much worse (and yes it could have, becuz the only time you dont hear that being said is when it was worse) be thankful that it could have been worse. I hope you get back on two wheels and have a speedy recovery

ssky0078

Go over the quote and make sure the frame is listed on there, make sure everything is listed on there. My Fz6 had way less damage and they had the bill up to $8,000 for a 2008. Any scratch counts. The insurance gives you a fair retail value and you can argue with them to get more. Also any mods if they are covered can be included. My bike was sent to auction and went for $2750, if it weren't for the chance the forks may have been tweaked I would have tried to buy it back. Honestly I would just take the check and get a new bike.

kawk2fazer

Glad ur ok man....as they say, any crash you can walk away from is a good one. Hope everything with the insurance works out for you.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
The insurance gives you a fair retail value and you can argue with them to get more.

After my recent accident, Progressive covered everything, including the bike, mods, and gear. They gave me $7200 for the bike plus an additional $2000 for the aftermarket modifications. (V&H Exhaust, Retrofit Headlight, Radiator Guard, Shad seat, frame sliders, etc)

I walked away with a check for $8700 (after $500 deductible taken out) and another check for $840 for my all my riding gear. I was well taken care of.