mpg

LitzerSki

Now, before I go on, I know that the gas mileage will impove as the engine breaks in, so no comments about that are needed. So, that being said...what are you getting?

1st tank - 27 mpg
2nd tank - 30 mpg
3rd tank - 25 mpg

All are city miles, as I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan, and have yet to take the FZ8 out of town.

Speedo007

My fuel light usually starts flashing at around 200km leaving about 4L in the tank. My guess is I'm averaging around 6.5L/100km (36mpg). Finishing my break-in period (first 1000km oil change yesterday) that indeed affect mpg as well as cold weather. In normal conditions these bikes should average near 6L/100km (around 40mpg) once break-in is over and exterior temperature warmer. I don't ride it like I stole it yet. But those numbers are a mix of highway, city, and some more agressive accelerations here and there.

Speedo007

@LitzerSki
After 3 tanks, is your rear tire still good for a few miles or it needs to be replaced? lol!

Thebijmaster

My first tank I got about 22 mpg, which is why I asked about the rpm's in an earlier thread.

Since then I've been hitting everything between 30 and 37 mpg averaging right in the middle between the four or five times I've put gas in it (my gas meter was funky, usually increases by one bar once it gets moving so I've been playing with how much gas I put in it). It's the highway driving that kills my tank as I don't really get a chance to safely open up the engine on any of the suburban roads around me.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i've noticed the fuel gauge anomaly as well. when it's on it's side stand it reads one section lower than when it's sitting straight up and down.

mine's off too, as i was on the last segment and only fit 2.8 gallons in. good to know for future long rides i guess.

Speedo007

The only precise way to calculate mpg is to use reset the trip meter when you fill her up, then when the fuel gauge starts to flash again, you fill her up again and look at how much fuel you could fit in and at what mileage was the trip meter.

they mpg for the bike is 40mpg's i have never bothered to try to figure out what i am getting just put gas in it when the light start flashing!

Thebijmaster

Yea I haven't pushed the reserve tank too too far (single flashing fuel bar I imagine), I got a solid 14 highway miles @ 75mph out of it and didn't hear her starting to die or anything. Unfortunately I forgot how much it took to fill her up after that run.

And yea 22mpg was atrocious (might have been closer to 24 or 25, it had all the fuel bars up but the dealer filled the tank the first time around not me so it probably wasn't brim full), but that was because I was doing 35-40 in 4th or 5th gear trying to figure her out on my first run. When I compared the miles I got for the tank compared to what I was supposed to get I realized I was doing something terribly wrong.

nighthawk

I am averaging around 44 MPG. I ride conservatively ...for the most part :p My trips are usually 10 miles in town and 30 highway total each day to work and back.

Speedo007

I tend to get around 205-220km out of a tank now, and ride an extra 20 km on reserve, I'd consider my driving somewhat agressive mix of highway/city.

mano1192

Never bothered to check, all I know is I beat the hell out of this bike and a tank last me about 4 days. Im a daily commuter about 20 miles round trip..... but Im always sneaking in trips to the red rock canyon every chance I can :)

spaz

I have put about 3000 miles on my bike and I get about 50 mpg highway, and I get about 40 to 45 mpg in the city. I am also running a K&N air filter too.

hypo

2nd tank of gas Regular(1st one was from the dealer so I have no idea what they did or how much they put in)

143 miles / 3 gallons = 47.6 mpg

Last edited:

trixster8

Just filled up - 163 miles/3.6 gallons = 45 mpg. Much better than my 14 mpg truck. Good thing I've been able to ride to work the last six working days, that'll pay off my new exhaust in no time.