Motor feels clunky in low rpm

Larry P

Hi all, still breaking in the Fazer, but I've noticed some very annoying things in the last week. Anytime below 3k rpm the motor gets really "clunky". Even at idle the motor sounds clunky. I can hear it and feel it in the bars. Every inline 4 motor I've had ran smooth after warming up. Total opposite with this. It gets clunkly after warming up. It's easy to notice when taking a slow 90 degree turn onto a street. The bars get really shakey, and the motor is not happy at all. It's really pissing me off. Took it immediately to the dealer and they're telling me it's normal. I'm not buying it just yet. I will wait until the first 1k miles but if it's still doing it I will be having a talk with the dealer again.

Has anybody else experienced this type of situation with a new Fazer?

The Arsenal

Sorry to hear this. I am at 450 miles on my 2012. I do not have this issue at all. For the dealer to tell you this is normal; I would think it is not. See if any other 2012's out there have this issue.

Larry P

A local dealer is having a demo event this weekend and I'm planning on checking out their FZ8's. Maybe having the two side by side will show the obvious noises I'm trying to point out.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I do a fair amount of low RPM riding, i don't notice any surging, or "clunky" issue, runs smooth from low down all the way to the high RPM( except for the flat curve around 4500 rpm to 6000 rpm), but that is still a smooth transition. 12,500 kms on it, zero issues, seems like a real reliable bike( all stock except mirrors,levers, sliders, seat.). Hope you find a solution to your issue, does it idle smooth?

Larry P

In my opinion, no. The needle isn't dancing, but the motor isn't making normal bike sounds. I've demo'd the FZ8 many times before along with a gajillion other machines and never felt something like this. The motor has it's normal buzz, but there's a second buzzing much stronger. I have a feeling the dealer is going to try and convince me it's normal. I'm pretty adamant about this motor becoming perfect, so either my dealer or yamaha is going to make it work.

Wolf_Hook

The only time I get what you're talking about is when decelerating in 1st-3rd gear. I thought something was wrong with my brakes at first since when I'd brake hard and be in 1st or 2nd gear and let it drop below 30mph the bars would shake violently (remind you under hard braking). Turns out it just the motor making the bike jerk like that. I'll see if i can get a video of it to see fi this is what you're talking about.

the borg

The problem is that every bike is different. Some bikes are very smooth on the low-end and others are not. Others are buzzing up high, some have flat spots while others don't. I had a bike that sounded really strange a certain rpms but it gave me 50K of trouble free miles then I sold it. I took it to the dealer several times but they could never find anything wrong. Every bike is constructed differently and will feel different.

The Arsenal

A local dealer is having a demo event this weekend and I'm planning on checking out their FZ8's. Maybe having the two side by side will show the obvious noises I'm trying to point out.

That is a great idea. If the demo don't; then you have an issue that they gotta sort out. During break-in have you ever gone over 5K rpm? just wondering. In the owners manual it was pretty adamant about not doing that. Then it says not to go over 6K until after 1000 miles. Break-in is KILLING me!! Can't wait for it to be over.

Larry P

Pretty sure the manual said 5800 rpm for first 600 miles. I think I slipped to 6k once or twice but nothing extravagant.

lyric911

That is a great idea. If the demo don't; then you have an issue that they gotta sort out. During break-in have you ever gone over 5K rpm? just wondering. In the owners manual it was pretty adamant about not doing that. Then it says not to go over 6K until after 1000 miles. Break-in is KILLING me!! Can't wait for it to be over.

Engine break-in
There is never a more important period
in the life of your engine than the period
between 0 and 1600 km (1000 mi). For
this reason, you should read the following material carefully.
Since the engine is brand new, do not
put an excessive load on it for the first
1600 km (1000 mi). The various parts in
the engine wear and polish themselves
to the correct operating clearances.
During this period, prolonged full-throttle operation or any condition that might
result in engine overheating must be
avoided.
EAU17093
0–1000 km (0–600 mi)
Avoid prolonged operation above 5800
r/min. NOTICE: After 1000 km (600
mi) of operation, the engine oil must
be changed and the oil filter cartridge or element replaced. [ECA10302]
1000–1600 km (600–1000 mi)
Avoid prolonged operation above 6900
r/min.

Going over is fine. Holding it there for 20 minutes on the highway is what they are saying not to do.

V

Vapordan

Going over is fine. Holding it there for 20 minutes on the highway is what they are saying not to do.

Excellent point!!! Many people on here miss that. It doesn't say you can't, it says you should not hold it there. This is the reason why I broke mine in with a very heavy hand routinely disrespecting the 5800 RPM. However, I never held it above 5800 for an extended period of time.

FZER

Avid Rider
I guess I'd have to say that my bike isn't the smoothest thing below 3, but again like others have posted I'm not down there much.