Motodynamics vs Custom LED

SeñorJack

El Guapo
the motodynamic is so good! if the custom LED is twice as expensive, it also needs to change my bikes oil for me, and occasionally wipe my butt.

Jacek3743

the motodynamic is so good! if the custom LED is twice as expensive, it also needs to change my bikes oil for me, and occasionally wipe my butt.

Exactly, and the custom one doesn't even come with the sequential turn signal like the Motodynamics does. Nothing against the Custom LED guys but damn, that price is pretty steep for something that would cost them about $5 to make...

grimm_reaper

If I recall correctly, Custom LED claims that the sequential signal is less visible at distance and that's why their version doesn't have that feature. It does have the option to enable a strobe brake light.

I'm basically just trying to gauge whether or not it makes sense to spend a few extra for a integrated light that claims to be brighter, safer, etc.

thach1130

motodynamic also have strobed brake light.

I'm basically just trying to gauge whether or not it makes sense to spend a few extra for a integrated light that claims to be brighter, safer, etc.
Brighter does not mean safer. There's a practical limit. Really bright strobe might send the guy behind you in seizure and plow you down. Either that or some people do not react well to suddent flashes of bright light. They'll freak out and floor the accelerator.

Last edited:

Jacek3743

motodynamic also have strobed brake light.

Brighter does not mean safer. There's a practical limit. Really bright strobe might send the guy behind you in seizure and plow you down. Either that or some people do not react well to suddent flashes of bright light. They'll freak out and floor the accelerator.

Wouldn't too bright of light impair your ability to determine your distance of between you and the bike with the bright lights? Idk if I'm correct, don' want to throw out nonsense.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I dont know about all that. but for the lesser price, you get a product that is far greater than the stock one. I don't know how much better or worse they get you knnow? seems like picking hairs to me, just my opinion. But i havent seen the other one.

Jacek3743

A quick search on YouChub....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLaREH7kW0A"]Custom LED[/ame]

Idk what the hell all the different flashing was all about the first comment kinda explains how bright it is. Seems almost like an obnoxious brightness

Youtube comment:
Thanks buddy! You build an awesome product! The video doesn't do it justice! I get compliments all the time, and the guys I ride with like it simply because its so visible! Aaaand tailgating cagers F right off due to the sheer intensity! Best bolt on ever.

Jacek3743

Seems that the consensus is that the Custom LED version isn't worth the extra cash. Thanks for the feedback.

To each their own, but Motodynamics ones seems to be as good with half the price and they offer also to change modes from the sequential to a standard signal and also the brake so it offers some form of customization

Spyder Eye

I have the Custom LED taillight and I have been very satisfied with it. Looking at Motodynamics instructions and pictures I noticed that they use an external wire harness that includes large load resistors to control blink rate. These are generally 5-10 Ohm resistors and they usually measure about 2 inches in length and a little less than half an inch in width.

Here is a pic of one that I have that came with a Rizoma signal:

Here is a pic of the Motodynamics wiring harness:

Electrical Tape?

The CustomLED taillight has a different type of load resistor that is integrated onto the PC board inside the light housing. So all you have on the back is the wire harness.

Not sure why they wouldn't just integrate that thing. Also, the CustomLED will turn off the red lights when the turn signal is activated to produce better contrast. On the Motodynamic the red LED's stay on so the orange and red blend together. To me the sequential lighting is hard to see from a distance.

Custom LED also allows programming of the following:

Enable or Disable the Startup Sequence.
Choose the Brake Alert pattern (can also disable Brake Alert).
Adjust the running light brightness within a preset range.
Adjust the brake light brightness within a preset range.
Reset factory defaults.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zyilVL7dcg]Custom LED 2006-2013 Yamaha FZ1 Blaster-X Tail Light PROTOTYPE TEST VIDEO - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

grimm_reaper

Spyder Eye, to some people the differences you pointed out are negligible, but I think they are the features that make the difference between a good aftermarket product and a great one. Since I plan to keep my FZ for quite a few years, the Custom LED is almost certainly the better choice for me.

I also like how Custom LED turns off the red LEDs during signal function. Definitely a cleaner looking signal.

Thanks for the feedback.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Also, the CustomLED will turn off the red lights when the turn signal is activated to produce better contrast. On the Motodynamic the red LED's stay on so the orange and red blend together.

Custom LED 2006-2013 Yamaha FZ1 Blaster-X Tail Light PROTOTYPE TEST VIDEO - YouTube

My motodynamic is not like this. when the signal is flashing, it is only yellow on that side, not yellow then red, or yellow and red. also mine is setup right now with the non sequential.

My connectors were all shrinkwrapped as well. with grey for some connections and black for others. Even if it were electrical tape, i havent heard of that being a problem or failing anyone.

as far as the 180:2year warranty- if an LED is going to fail, I feel it will most likely fail during the first few rides, as the problem most likely already exsisted with the product. Also I am very curious how many of theeople that would cash in on either warranty, will do so after 180 days. My vote is they get sent in in the first month or so.

but at the end of the day its what makes you sleep best. I mean, I have a rizoma oil cap. no one should ever do that. but I sure like looking at it, which makes it the best purchase for me :)

Last edited:

Spyder Eye

My motodynamic is not like this. when the signal is flashing, it is only yellow on that side, not yellow then red, or yellow and red. also mine is setup right now with the non sequential.

My connectors were all shrinkwrapped as well. with grey for some connections and black for others. Even if it were electrical tape, i havent heard of that being a problem or failing anyone.

as far as the 180:2year warranty- if an LED is going to fail, I feel it will most likely fail during the first few rides, as the problem most likely already exsisted with the product. Also I am very curious how many of theeople that would cash in on either warranty, will do so after 180 days. My vote is they get sent in in the first month or so.

but at the end of the day its what makes you sleep best. I mean, I have a rizoma oil cap. no one should ever do that. but I sure like looking at it, which makes it the best purchase for me :)

Well, I based the blinker observation off of Motodynamics video (39 sec):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8_zvY54CNc&list=UUrK8bCQclfzFZB1FnVHTVRw&index=30]2006-2013 Yamaha FZ1 FZ8 Sequential LED Tail Light Clear Lens - YouTube[/ame]

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I know I saw the video, thats kinda weird. I know that the motodynamic light for the fz8 used to be the same as the one for the fz1. mine is the newer fz8 specific one. this is the only thing I can think of that would make it different.