Mods/Warranty and Break-in Period

ramrod

So I recently picked up my new FZ8 and this is the first time i've owned a new bike, my previous ones were used. I am really anxious to start moding this bike but am unsure if doing so will void warranty or mess with the break-in period.

I am not looking into head work, valve job, etc... just looking into full exhaust system and PCV for starts. I guess I'm more concerned about the break-in period since I can always look up this info on the warranty card.

Appreciate any help you guys can offer, thanks.

Lee_533

I was told when I bought mine last week not to change out the exhaust. You have to check with your local dealer to make sure they are cool with mods. I was told that even a fender eliminator kit will void warranty. I installed a slip-on and fender eliminator kit and my dealership is all about modding so they said to leave it for maintenance. But they also said that if anything happens as far as warranty goes, I would have to put all of my stock stuff back on to get it fixed. They also said NO MODDING THE WAY THE BIKE OPERATES. Meaning no PCV or anything that will change the way the bike runs. Sorry dude...I was told to at least wait a year before doing anything major. But it's up to you.

Also, break in period. Try to keep it under 5800 rpms for the first 600 miles. Get your maintenance done. Then keep it under 7000rpms until 1000 miles. After the 1000 miles, go ahead and ride the hell out of it. That's what I was told and what I read on my bike. I'm at 580 right now and getting ready to take mine in. Oh, and make sure to vary the RPM range...try to stay away from steady rmps. You don't want to ride a freeway for 45 minutes at 5000 rpms, try to hit some twisties and get that rpm range moving in each gear. Hope this helps...This is my understanding of it though.

ramrod

Awesome, thanks man that answered my question. Appreciate the help, guess I have to sit down and prioritize my list.

Is it bad to mod a weekend after purchasing a new bike? :D

lyric911

That last post was on my phone, hence the brevity.

To explain a tiny bit for the lazy... ;)

The M-M Warranty Act basically states that the onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the modification led directly to the failure. So, if you change your exhaust and your front forks blow - the two are not in any way related and the forks will be covered. Things get slightly fuzzier in the case of a PCV, but the onus is still on them to prove fault.

Lee_533

What do you plan on doing to your bike? I plan on installing a PCV or Juice Box, but not until the bikes paid off and until I need to do major maintenance. The bike is plenty peppy for me and I can't even take it to it's full potential yet. Half way there though :)

ramrod

I typically work in the following order:

- Performance (Air Filter, Exhaust, PC, etc...)
- Riding Position (Rearsets, Handle bars, Grips, etc...)
- Suspension
- Aesthetics

Right now I am looking at the Graves Full Exhaust System, PCV, and Air filter for starters but since I am still in the break-in period i'm considering waiting until its over before I start... perhaps i'll get everything on order and make a weekend out of it.

I am looking forward to everyones advice and recommendations here so thanks in advance.