Modifying Existing Rear Fender

AlCab

Did someone here hack up their stock rear fender and reused the license plate mount, light, and turns signals for a "fender eliminated" look? I thought I saw that on here but can't find it now.

I was given a stock, complete rear fender setup and want to try and hack it into a fender eliminator and wanted to see how the other person did it.

If someone knows what I am talking about, could you please respond with a link to that post.

Thanks.

AlCab

I have been wanting to get rid of the stock rear fender while keeping the stock turn signals but I could not see paying $80+ for the various kits out there. So I happened to get a free FZ8 tail assembly from a mechanic at the local Yamaha dealer and decided to try and make my own. Here is what I did.

First, I removed the tail section and made a mounting plate out of ½” king starboard that I had left over from a boat project. It’s a dense plastic that is really easy to work with, plenty strong, and of course, rustproof.

Here is the mounting plate being test fitted.

Next, I cut most of the original plastic fender leaving only the part where the turn signals mount as well as leaving enough material to remount the original license plate bracket up higher than the stock mounting point as I wanted the license plate as high up as possible. I attached this piece to the mounting plate that I made. I then reused the 4 mounting bolts and used 4 lock nuts to bolt it in place, reattached the stock turn signals and reflectors, and reconnected the wires. I did not have to cut or splice any wires. I have a couple of LED mounting bolt lights on order that will take care of the license plate light. I know, I should probably remove the rectangular reflectors to clean it up but I figured anything to help me and my bike be visible to others is a good thing.

I am pretty happy with the way it turned out especially since it did not cost me a dime and I was able to keep my original tail assembly intact.

master paper clip

I just went to the dealer and bought the universal mount for 10$ and it bolted right into place, turn signals bolt right up if u remove the rubber mounting stalk they are attached to

n8kdfz8

I just went to the dealer and bought the universal mount for 10$ and it bolted right into place, turn signals bolt right up if u remove the rubber mounting stalk they are attached to

what brand of tail tidy did u buy? is it mounted with two bolts? i like how it looks!

master paper clip

Idk the brand it was on the shelf, was 10$ uses 2 bolts keeps it all nice and tucked together, just look in the accessory section of your dealership, so far every one I've been to has had them

n8kdfz8

I have been wanting to get rid of the stock rear fender while keeping the stock turn signals but I could not see paying $80+ for the various kits out there. So I happened to get a free FZ8 tail assembly from a mechanic at the local Yamaha dealer and decided to try and make my own. Here is what I did.

First, I removed the tail section and made a mounting plate out of ½” king starboard that I had left over from a boat project. It’s a dense plastic that is really easy to work with, plenty strong, and of course, rustproof.

Here is the mounting plate being test fitted.

Next, I cut most of the original plastic fender leaving only the part where the turn signals mount as well as leaving enough material to remount the original license plate bracket up higher than the stock mounting point as I wanted the license plate as high up as possible. I attached this piece to the mounting plate that I made. I then reused the 4 mounting bolts and used 4 lock nuts to bolt it in place, reattached the stock turn signals and reflectors, and reconnected the wires. I did not have to cut or splice any wires. I have a couple of LED mounting bolt lights on order that will take care of the license plate light. I know, I should probably remove the rectangular reflectors to clean it up but I figured anything to help me and my bike be visible to others is a good thing.

I am pretty happy with the way it turned out especially since it did not cost me a dime and I was able to keep my original tail assembly intact.

Well Man! You definitly encouraged me to modifiy my ugly license plate fender into a sweet looking one just like yours. i just finished modifying and installing custom bracket and LED lighting. So yea..... Thanks again!!!.....Oh duh pics right? i have way to many of entire process so ill post a new thread as soon as i can figure how to post pics correctly:p