Mixing oil.. safe?

kodoq88

Ok i have a question for cheap ass people like me. I have rotella 15-40w left over from previous oil changes and i have full synth t6 0-20w i think. Can i mix them? Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

eru000

Ok i have a question for cheap ass people like me. I have rotella 15-40w left over from previous oil changes and i have full synth t6 0-20w i think. Can i mix them? Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

As long as they are they same type (dino/sythetic) and the same weight, it shouldn't be a problem. That said, I wouldn't do it personally...

And you might even get away with mixing types, since there are synthetic/petroleum blends, but I imagine they might be blended better at the factory. Just mixing them in the bike might not work as well.

9 Lives

Nether one of those sound like motorcycle oil, the biggest problem with using car oil is it may cause the clutch to slip. Motorcycle oil is designed for wet clutches, even if you use dino Motorcycle engine oil it will be better for the clutch than car oil. Also stick buy the weight recommendations and in your manual, either 10W-40 or 20W-50 depending on the climate you live in, since your in Ontario, 10W-40 Motorcycle oil is what you should use. There is more info WRT the specific ratings the oil should meet in the owners manual. Just my opinion, its your money and your bike.

RD GUY

don't mix reg oil w/ syn ,I run Castrol GTX 20W50 in all my bikes w/ no clutch slippage and I kick the shit out of them, I always make sure bike is up to temp before I start the shit kicking ,I change my oil every 2000km and filter every 4000km ,oil and filters are cheap $ at walmart, that's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

kodoq88

They're shell rotella oils. I read a lot about them and it looks like they're safe for motorcycle.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

9 Lives

API - SG or higher
JASO - MA

If it meets these ratings, your good to go. They also don't recommend anything less that 10W