Mirror Turn Signal Install Help

Viper6117

Greetings!

I bought some new mirrors for my FZ8 and they have integrated turn signals. I was hoping that someone on here might have some insight they could shed on this subject. Either a complete walk-through, tips that you learned when doing it, or links to videos. Anything would be helpful before I start to go at it with just a wiring diagram. Thanks!

cambo

Avid Rider
Greetings!

I bought some new mirrors for my FZ8 and they have integrated turn signals. I was hoping that someone on here might have some insight they could shed on this subject. Either a complete walk-through, tips that you learned when doing it, or links to videos. Anything would be helpful before I start to go at it with just a wiring diagram. Thanks!

PM rabbitman109...he's got turn signal mirrors he just threw on his fz1 I believe...might be able to shed some light

What specific mirrors are you installing?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Did I just hear my name? Yeah, integrated mirrors on my FZ1.

Easy really. You can use t-taps to connect to the turn signal wires behind the headlight. Here is what I mean:

150 3M T Taps Male Insulated Wire Terminal Connectors | eBay

It depends on how you want to hook up the mirror signals. Do you want running signals or standard signals on when turn signal on?

It isn't listed, but the Blue wire with a Red tracer is the Run Hot.

Viper6117

these are the mirrors i got... [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Motorcycle-Mirrors-Triumph-Kawasaki/dp/B008NC9SXC/ref=pd_sbs_auto_6]Amazon.com: Universal Black Motorcycle Street Bike Led Turn Signal Side Mirrors for Bmw, Triumph, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati: Automotive[/ame]

i just repainted them to be matte black to match the bike more.

i want them to be working turn signals. i'm assuming that is what the t-taps will allow me to do? simply splice the wires together?

thach1130

Yes, the T-taps is a splice where the t-taps clamps onto the stock signal wire and dig through the insulation to touch the wire inside. Then the wire of the turn signal mirrors are connected to the corresponding connector on the t-taps. You will need to tap into the stock turn signal signal wire and ground. Make sure you're not tapping into the day time running light wire which is grey.

Another way which you could splice into the stock turn signal wire if the turn signal mirror uses bullet connector is to locate the turn signal wire. Select a small 1cm section at the middle and remove the insulation, then bend the wire back in a U shape at the exposed section and crimp a corresponding male/female bullet connector to the end of the exposed U shape wire. That way you can plug the bullet connector from the turn signal mirror to the wiring. Also doing it this way reduce the chance of a T-taps slowly grinding down the copper wiring in the stock wiring due to vibration.

Last edited: