Mirror Extenders

tzortn

Pillion
I spent the afternoon on the bike and I have come to the conclusion that I need new mirrors. I am not totally sold on on spending major bucks on Rizoma or CRG mirrors and I refuse to by knockoff Chinese parts so I have been looking for just and extender and found these: Slingshot Racing : Yamaha 10mm Mirror Risers Extenders Adapters - $29.99. For $29.99 plus shipping it seems like a decent option.

Does anyone out there use these or similar extenders?

n00b

Avid Rider
nice idea. factory mirrors were useless for me. I'm using barend mirrors, and they work, but I really prefer the higher position of factory mirrors - only if they were a little further out.

alexk

Weekend Rider
I didn't look too hard for mine, and settled on a similarly priced pair, Chinese sourced via eBay for $15 shipped

Effect:
Love it. I can set the mirrors wider to avoid my arms while still maintaining excellent rearward visibility. With a very slight lean towards the mirror, I can see directly behind me. Without a lean, I can see the other lane positions, and the mirror's view range extends quite a ways. The blind spot is currently just enough to fit one car in, but that's what head checks are for. I'm considering setting the mirrors even wider to minimize that, but very much like being able to see behind me.

I wish I could snap a pic to show how improved visibility is.​

Looks:
Kinda funky. It doesn't add to the visual appeal of the bike.

Chinese part quality:
Risers are fine, but the bolts developed rust immediately (2 days in the fog was enough for rust to form in the hex recess). The replacement bolts were delivered already rusty, so I obtained a refund. DON'T BUY THE CHINESE VERSION!

Last edited:

cxa0897

seems like that would be a great help. The mirrors are pretty good, but they really needed to be set a little wider from the factory

tzortn

Pillion
Thanks for the pictures. You sold me. I will be ordering a set tomorrow but like I said I will not go with the Chinese knockoffs. I hear good things about bar end mirrors but they seem like they make the bike too wide.

n00b

Avid Rider
Bar end mirrors will not be any wider than extended factory mirrors.

I just ordered these from amazon and put my factory mirrors back on.

The biggest drawback of bar end mirrors was that they were out of my normal field of vision. I had to tilt my head to look at them

tzortn

Pillion
Bar end mirrors will not be any wider than extended factory mirrors.

I believe you but it seems so counter intuitive. The Amazon link didn't work so I ma not sure what you tried of your bar end mirrors. Did yours go more up rather than out from the bars?

n00b

Avid Rider
my bar end mirror arms extended forward from the ends of the bars, and slightly up. Then the mirror was to the outside of the lever.

tiki

Thanks for the pictures. You sold me. I will be ordering a set tomorrow but like I said I will not go with the Chinese knockoffs. I hear good things about bar end mirrors but they seem like they make the bike too wide.

I just got the CRG ones, with the adapters, and after a little dremel work and some longer bolts they fit great. It was a little pricey but I like the build quality and the field of view is GREAT.

n00b

Avid Rider
Ordered from amazon, got them yesterday. Two right hand bolts :(. Have email to vendor to see what to do. I put the left side on. Definitely big improvement. Still see my elbow a little bit, but definitely see cars behind me.

tzortn

Pillion
So I ordered mirror extenders from Slingshot Racing (see my original post) and I installed them today. I am so glad I got these. I had a full view of what was going on behind me. Even the jerk in the minivan riding my tail.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Update to the knockoffs:

My Chinese supplier did some very bad things, including trying to convince me to close the ebay dispute in exchange for a promise to ship new bolts, and shipping replacement bolts that came pre-rusted for my convenience. The only thing that's saving them from a bad ebay feedback is that they issued a full refund without requiring I return the item (shipping to HK would have been more expensive than the item itself)

I love the effect, but rusty parts are bad, mkay?

I've ordered the slingshot parts and will post a proper review and installation instructions once I've received it.

Thanks guys!

//post above updated

n00b

Avid Rider
Update to the knockoffs:

My Chinese supplier did some very bad things, including trying to convince me to close the ebay dispute in exchange for a promise to ship new bolts, and shipping replacement bolts that came pre-rusted for my convenience. The only thing that's saving them from a bad ebay feedback is that they issued a full refund without requiring I return the item (shipping to HK would have been more expensive than the item itself)

I love the effect, but rusty parts are bad, mkay?

I've ordered the slingshot parts and will post a proper review and installation instructions once I've received it.

Thanks guys!

//post above updated

WTH, my forum handle on some other forums is "slngsht"... I was like huh? LOL