Mini Cooper...First Drive. Warning: TL;DR

cambo

Avid Rider
Gas prices here in the states are pretty damn high these days, close to $4/gallon. (I know we don't have room to complain, you folks in Europe are paying almost triple that? quadruple? ridiculous...)

Anyway, I decided enough is enough. No more gas guzzling commutes in my truck. I bought myself a mini cooper for two reasons: 1) fuel economy (36 hwy) and 2) fun as hell to drive! damnit it feels good to drive a manual again.

My 2-hour commute into work today was really my first time taking it out on the road for a prolonged period of time and in any resemblance of traffic as I live quite close to the dealership I bought it from.

However, after only a short while on the road, I began to realize that I felt every bit as insecure in this Mini on these DC area roads as I do on my motorcycle!! I initially forgot how small this car was. And that I'm no longer in my full size. and that a toyota prius can bully me just as much as a silverado 3500HD.

My head was on a swivel...just like it is on my bike. Mirror checks every other second. Can't relax at red lights, gotta be ready to move the eff out of the way in case the semi behind me looked like he wasn't going to stop. Shoot it doesn't even have to be a semi, a g'damn corolla would sandwich me in this thing. You know it's bad when you avoid being in a honda civic's blind spot! Nevermind the freaking Hummer H2's every soccer mom has around here. Because of the tiny 16" wheels, I've got to keep an eye out for the smallest pot holes and the like.

I guess it's all good habits to keep fresh for when I do get on the bike. Can't hurt to constantly hone the pro active driving skills. But geesus...this shit's gonna give me some grey hairs! And to think I was almost about to opt for one of those smartcar fortwos...lol! At least the mini has some decent power to move out of danger.

Anyway, thought I'd share. I'm really just bored at work tonight. Maybe there's other cooper drivers out there?

S

Shock

There's another chick on the forum somewhere.

Haha just busting your chomps.

cambo

Avid Rider
Same for me. Got myself a Fiesta. Power suck but 40 MPG Highway make up for it!

yeah, I was looking at those newer Fiestas! I actually didn't know it was a Fiesta, it looked really sharp. Only thing that stopped me was the price...this mini was cheap as hell. high mileage though...I just need something to last me a couple years.

H

Hoover

Which one did you get? The JCW "S" model is a quick little thing. I had one try to give me a run for my money the other day.
He did his best, but 200 hp in front wheel drive is not going to get it all to the ground. He was sawing at that wheel fighting torque steer.
I actually like the Mini, it has bags of character and a lot of fun to drive.

Let the modding begin!

Marthy

yeah, I was looking at those newer Fiestas! I actually didn't know it was a Fiesta, it looked really sharp. Only thing that stopped me was the price...this mini was cheap as hell. high mileage though...I just need something to last me a couple years.

The car is sort of new here but been around for year on the other side of the pond. $hit load of aftermarket parts foe the Fiesta. From many lowering kit options and handling stuff to $38K rally kit upgrade.

I might just lower it a bit and put some sway bars so I don't have to slow down too much when I turn... keeping the momentum going! LOL

I drove the new mini when it first cam back. Awesome little car. Brakes were quite efficient too.

cambo

Avid Rider
Which one did you get? The JCW "S" model is a quick little thing. I had one try to give me a run for my money the other day.
He did his best, but 200 hp in front wheel drive is not going to get it all to the ground. He was sawing at that wheel fighting torque steer.
I actually like the Mini, it has bags of character and a lot of fun to drive.

Let the modding begin!

ha yeah, I wish I could afford the JCW version. I found a fairly cheap S with a ton of miles on it though. I was looking for anything under 10Gs to put some commuter miles on and forget about it in a couple years. But I'm already dumping funds I don't have into 'mods'. Intake is already on the way. I'm trying to devise a plan to hide an exhaust purchase from the wife. New rims and tires already put on under the guise of "safer than stock wheels" whatever the hell that means lol, but she bought it.

I need to focus on the bike!! not this cage!

highoctane

Canyon Carver
My understanding is mini's are built very safe and are safer than one might think, I would love to blast around a track in one of those! Gratz

cambo

Avid Rider

I will not have a worthless thread! Here you go Paralgin

cambo

Avid Rider
but actually, now that rabbitman blacked out my headlight assembly for his retrofit HID install...I really really want black forks now...

Paralgin

Avid Rider
but actually, now that rabbitman blacked out my headlight assembly for his retrofit HID install...I really really want black forks now...

I understand that.. My only worry for now is what kind of color i want on my rear shock spring. Got the White 8 with gold rims, so im wondering gold.