Mild clicking sound coming from rear wheel

eru000

Hey guys. I was just waxing my chain today and I noticed that when I rotate my back wheel, it has a quiet clicking sound about every 1/4 turn or so (maybe 1/6 turn). I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but to my untrained ear it sounds like a wheel bearing. The chain isn't sticking (it does, but not in sync with this; plus it's a regular interval, not intermittent like a chain would be). Rear brakes seem okay. Happens in both directions. Anyone else experience this sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSrZhp2aUX4

:confused:

Nemo

mine is not doing this ... i just checked , i know it dsnt help ya , but i wanted to make sure it was not something common ... ill follow this post closely so i can know what cause this for my further experience .

edit : wash your bike ! its dirty ! :p ;)

eru000

mine is not doing this ... i just checked , i know it dsnt help ya , but i wanted to make sure it was not something common ... ill follow this post closely so i can know what cause this for my further experience .

Okay, thanks :)

It's definitely new. Didn't do this last time I lubed the chain about 500 miles ago or so.

Umyaya

Hey guys. I was just waxing my chain today and I noticed that when I rotate my back wheel, it has a quiet clicking sound about every 1/4 turn or so (maybe 1/6 turn). I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but to my untrained ear it sounds like a wheel bearing. The chain isn't sticking (it does, but not in sync with this; plus it's a regular interval, not intermittent like a chain would be). Rear brakes seem okay. Happens in both directions. Anyone else experience this sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSrZhp2aUX4

:confused:

After I think about it.. mine sometimes does that. I always thought it was the chain though .

eru000

yea i meant total ! thx you

No problem.

I'm not sure if it's the original chain (I bought the bike at 7.5k miles), but it does seem like it is. There's a link that's binding a bit, so I've been considering replacing the chain and sprockets (and maybe gearing down a little bit).

I think the sound isn't coming from the chain, however. It sounds like it's coming from inside the wheel hub, which makes me think wheel bearing.

DanS

Commuter
No problem.

I'm not sure if it's the original chain (I bought the bike at 7.5k miles), but it does seem like it is. There's a link that's binding a bit, so I've been considering replacing the chain and sprockets (and maybe gearing down a little bit).

I think the sound isn't coming from the chain, however. It sounds like it's coming from inside the wheel hub, which makes me think wheel bearing.
Maybe try taking the chain off the rear sprocket and see if the noise goes away

Larry P

My 2 guesses are the chain isn't aligned properly and is catching on the sprocket funny until it rolls into place by force. Other would be something lodged in the cush drive or bearings. Should be able to just pull the axle out real quick and check the bearings/drive with a few minutes of work. I'm kinda curious now as to what it ends up being.