MCN First Video Review of MT09 / FZ09

decooney

..Local joint out here has the paperwork that Yamaha sent on discontinuation of the model which is where im getting the data from. It could be a regional thing or something...

Kardiac,
Interesting. The factory rep did say in July they would evaluate US sales for the remainder of 2013, so it could be they are planning to let existing FZ8 inventory run out and decide from there year end. I guess we will have to wait and see. If they stop importing FZ8s in the US, I'm definitely keeping mine as it will be great to own something in limited production for the US.

And, if nobody is talking about the real markup price of the first batch of FZ09s. IF they are as cool as they look on paper, I know dealers who won't just let them go at list price. Who knows, they could sell for more than FZ8s for the entire first year until the new-hype wears down. We'll see... ;)

BTW: I see you are in Hagerstown. I lived in MD as a kid, spent all of my younger year summers back there with family in Northern and Southern MD, in Calvert Co. Grew up riding bikes and racing motocross back there as a kid. I sure miss the Green woods and all the soft brown dirt back there. We made big dirt tracks along the Chesapeake Bay woods. Those were the times back then in the 70s and 80s growing up on YZs, Honda Elsinores and more... Farm kids, riding on farms, and motocross came in pairs back then.

Last edited:

FZ8Ryder

The insurance rates shouldn't be much if any higher than our FZ8's becasue insurance rates don't jump up until the cc's get past 900.

Kardiac996

BTW: I see you are in Hagerstown. I lived in MD as a kid, spent all of my younger year summers back there with family in Northern and Southern MD, in Calvert Co. Grew up riding bikes and racing motocross back there as a kid. I sure miss the Green woods and all the soft brown dirt back there. We made big dirt tracks along the Chesapeake Bay woods. Those were the times back then in the 70s and 80s growing up on YZs, Honda Elsinores and more... Farm kids, riding on farms, and motocross came in pairs back then.

Its a beautiful state indeed. I'm actually relocating to West Virginia in the next couple months on a place with 15 acres to do exactly the things you mentioned. Will be alot of fun to give my kids space to play. MD as a whole is a piece of shit state to live in these days and cant wait to leave. Alot has changed in 30 years haha.

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
If I had been a couple months more patient, I would own a cb1000r not the 8. I'm digging the 09 though because I like to play, I don't Getty much of a chance to do a lot of touring type riding, my longest trips hit two hoursAnd they're rare, so a lighter , torqued up bike would be enjoyable for me.

HenryT

At the moment, the FZ09 is not replacing the FZ8 - from what I was told. When I spoke to the Yamaha factory reps and marketing team at MotoGP in July, they indicated the plan is to continue to make the FZ8. Reportedly, they are going to wait and see if the FZ8 will continue to be sold in the US, but it will be sold in Canada and elsewhere worldwide.

Its interesting how the sales of the FZ8 and the Honda CB1000R were lower in the USA, and they sell much better in other places around the world. Personally, I really like the euro Italian look of the FZ8 and the Honda CB1000R. However, the first time I laid eyes on the FZ8 I knew I had to have one, just after deciding not to get buy a Ducati along with two friends. We all bought FZ8s instead! I've owned a lot of motorcycles in my life, still own a few today including italian bikes, and probably get as many compliments or more on the FZ8 than anything I've ever owned. Many people ask if its an MV Agusta or something exotic. The FZ8 definitely costs a more money to produce than the FZ09, using an R1 based engine platform. If the FZ09 is more fun to ride than the FZ8, it should be a bit hit, especially for the ultra cheap entry price.

No the FZ8 is done after 2013, the 09 is its replacement.

b-eock

In the US the FZ-09 is replacing the FZ8. All the other countries get to keep both.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

FZ8Ryder

I found this video for anyone who is interested.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HWqWBnuxiI]Yamaha MT-09 Preview UK - Start-up & Exhaust Sound - YouTube[/ame]

decooney

I found this video for anyone who is interested.

Yamaha MT-09 Preview UK - Start-up & Exhaust Sound - YouTube

At least you can hear the triple in this video...Funny, in each of these videos popping up like this, there's always some guy standing to the side blipping the throttle, and a crowd around the bike taking photos and staring at the FZ09 like its some sort of alien breathing a little fire. Maybe next month they will move to video taping while riding it. :eek: