MCN First Video Review of MT09 / FZ09

Rotaryknight

I would love the FZ09 if the styling was more like the FZ8 lol

I swear the fz09 is smaler than a fz8. I need to see a side by side shot. It seems like a great bike for the city though. I dont know about on the highway though if it is smaller than a fz8.

decooney

I swear the fz09 is smaler than a fz8. I need to see a side by side shot. It seems like a great bike for the city though. I dont know about on the highway though if it is smaller than a fz8.

It is smaller, narrower, all around different feel. I sat on one in July. They had two FZ09s featured on display at MotoGP Monterey. Feels like 7/8ths scale. Also, it compresses down a bit so you feel lower to the ground too.
I appreciated the fact they did not try to make it look like the FZ8. When you see one for the first time in person, you then realize just how different the FZ09 really is.

Although the FZ09 is cool, I rode home from MotoGP that weekend just appreciating the quality and stealth look of the FZ8 that much more. The FZ09 will attract a whole new and different market than the FZ8.

RoadKill

yes, i would love to see them side by side. in my garage ;)

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...

It is, they have done a few comparisons, it's missing a cylinder lol, it's 40 lbs lighter!!!!!

HenryT

Yeah the new bike has a different look, and seating position is a little different. The 09 has you sitting more motoard upright. For sure the substantially lighter weight and stronger engine will be huge pluses for the new bike. It is an updated design.

Right now I'm still liking the 8 more though and want to scoop up a great deal on a 2013 while dealers clamor to unload them for the new bike ahead. Right now new 2013 fz8s are out there in the $7000 or less range, I would anticipate they will drop lower into next year. There are new 2012 models for even bigger discounts available also

Last edited:

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
Simple put, I want one. Not a fan of the headlight but there is always a mod for that.

Kardiac996

For me it is no longer a naked street bike per the looks. Its a super moto without the ability to actually do that job.

I guess i don't really understand its concept as its replacing the Fz8.

The power, light feel and 3 cyl is a nice touch but not sure how it would come together on a 3 hour ride with such a narrow seat.

Would be interesting to ride one just to get an idea of what yamaha is actually going for.

I did leverage it in the acquisition of my 2013 so im happy about that lol.

decooney

For me it is no longer a naked street bike per the looks. Its a super moto without the ability to actually do that job.

I guess i don't really understand its concept as its replacing the Fz8.

The power, light feel and 3 cyl is a nice touch but not sure how it would come together on a 3 hour ride with such a narrow seat.

Would be interesting to ride one just to get an idea of what yamaha is actually going for.

I did leverage it in the acquisition of my 2013 so im happy about that lol.

At the moment, the FZ09 is not replacing the FZ8 - from what I was told. When I spoke to the Yamaha factory reps and marketing team at MotoGP in July, they indicated the plan is to continue to make the FZ8. Reportedly, they are going to wait and see if the FZ8 will continue to be sold in the US, but it will be sold in Canada and elsewhere worldwide.

Its interesting how the sales of the FZ8 and the Honda CB1000R were lower in the USA, and they sell much better in other places around the world. Personally, I really like the euro Italian look of the FZ8 and the Honda CB1000R. However, the first time I laid eyes on the FZ8 I knew I had to have one, just after deciding not to get buy a Ducati along with two friends. We all bought FZ8s instead! I've owned a lot of motorcycles in my life, still own a few today including italian bikes, and probably get as many compliments or more on the FZ8 than anything I've ever owned. Many people ask if its an MV Agusta or something exotic. The FZ8 definitely costs a more money to produce than the FZ09, using an R1 based engine platform. If the FZ09 is more fun to ride than the FZ8, it should be a bit hit, especially for the ultra cheap entry price.

Last edited:

97audia4

As soon as they hit dealers Ill be test riding one and seeing how well I like it and if its that good the 8 will be taking a back seat

[]V[]addog

Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm not the slightest bit interested in this bike.
Mind u I have a fazer and could ride all day on the highway with no fatigue.
I don't see that happening in this bike.
It is for sure smaller. I love how they put a 5!inch peice of plastic over the light and some soft bags and call it touring ha ha. Classic.

decooney

I took photos of 3 people sitting on the new FZ09 at MotoGP. My buddy and I both over 200lbs, at 5'10 and 6'2" and we totally dwarfed the little FZ09. We were shocked how much smaller it feels than the FZ8. A 5'4" girl next to us sat on the FZ09 and even she looked big on it.

I agree with the prior comments, its more like a Supermoto. Think Supermoto triple.

Kardiac996

At the moment, the FZ09 is not replacing the FZ8 - from what I was told. When I spoke to the Yamaha factory reps and marketing team at MotoGP in July, they indicated the plan is to continue to make the FZ8. Reportedly, they are going to wait and see if the FZ8 will continue to be sold in the US, but it will be sold in Canada and elsewhere worldwide.

Its interesting how the sales of the FZ8 and the Honda CB1000R were lower in the USA, and they sell much better in other places around the world. Personally, I really like the euro Italian look of the FZ8 and the Honda CB1000R. However, the first time I laid eyes on the FZ8 I knew I had to have one, just after deciding not to get buy a Ducati along with two friends. We all bought FZ8s instead! I've owned a lot of motorcycles in my life, still own a few today including italian bikes, and probably get as many compliments or more on the FZ8 than anything I've ever owned. Many people ask if its an MV Agusta or something exotic. The FZ8 definitely costs a more money to produce than the FZ09, using an R1 based engine platform. If the FZ09 is more fun to ride than the FZ8, it should be a bit hit, especially for the ultra cheap entry price.

Local joint out here has the paperwork that Yamaha sent on discontinuation of the model which is where im getting the data from. It could be a regional thing or something.

Dealer did say I was the only person for the last year to inquire about the CB1000r and Fz8 (its funny you mentioned the CB as it was originally what I wanted.) I couldnt beat the 7k price tho, I do wish i had the SS swingarm.

Either way the FZ09 is an interesting mosh of ideas that just dont really spark the "i gotta have that" vibe

ssky0078

I think it is targeted at the euro market where I think I've read that the Japanese manufacturers are looking to be more competitive. So the lighter, narrower, urban design that still would be fun to take up into the mountains was the idea. It's in the class of the Ducati Monster and Streetfighter (although those are way different bikes, but the MT-09 is half the price), maybe even the Hypermotard. It is not set up to continue the sport-standard tradition, barely a sport touring (buy an FJR if you really want to tour).

I think it looks like it will be a lot of fun to ride. Consider also that it will have 60-70 lbft of torque compared to your Fz8s with 45-55 lb-ft of torque. The torque numbers on the FZ-09 is almost the same as the Fz1. The top end of the for the Fz-09 is supposed to be 110-115 hp and that's compared to the Fz8s 95-100. So basically you have the kick in the pants of an Fz1 with the same top end of a Fz8 on 60 lbs lighter machine.

The ergos on it, suggest that the seat height is the same as the Fz1 at 32.1 and the seating position is 20 mm higher in the bars and like 10mm lower for the rear sets, so it is actually more anatomically neutral than the Fz1.

The big downside is the the 3.7 gallon tank compared to the 4.5 gallon of the Fz8/Fz1. I'm guessing this is part of why it is narrower by comparison.

decooney

... it will have 60-70 lbft of torque compared to your Fz8s with 45-55 lb-ft of torque. The torque numbers on the FZ-09 is almost the same as the Fz1. The top end of the for the Fz-09 is supposed to be 110-115 hp and that's compared to the Fz8s 95-100. So basically you have the kick in the pants of an Fz1 with the same top end of a Fz8 on 60 lbs lighter machine...

That is a notable difference in torque/hp numbers and reduction in overall weight. Hopefully the insurance rates are not ridiculous like some here have complained why they chose the FZ8 over the FZ1. I cannot imagine my former Supermoto having 115hp, that would have been a kick in the pants.