Matte Gray Metallic #3 YAM007 (I think)

myklobe

So, I'm an idiot and tried walking my bike across some ice and had to set it down roughly, which busted up the plastic tank cover a bit around the bolt hole. Luckily, it didn't hurt anything other than the rear brake lever, which I think I can straighten out, only my pride. I think I can pull off the plastic cover and glass / epoxy it back, but I'll need to fill in the crack lines so I'm not constantly reminded of being a moron.

That said, does anyone have an idea of where I can find a small amount of the Matte Grey Metallic paint used on the 2013 FZ8? Looking online, I think the color I need is Matte Gray Metallic #3 YAM007, but all I can find it aftermarket, not Yamaha specific, and starting around $50. I need like 4 sprays of paint (which I know I can't buy), but a smaller amount I can put in my spray gun or even a tiny spray can would be perfect. The closest dealer wants even more because they don't sell small amounts like car touch up paint, only quarts.

Figured I'd ask here if anyone has used another brand, or has a website they like for finding cross referenced paint. If I get an off-brand, I'll just respray the entire cover.

Thanks guys! (grumble grumble stupid winter)

myklobe

US, and I believe I found another reference, Yamaha 1278 paint, so I'll start digging around online and see what else comes up.

myklobe

I figured I'd try the cheap way out first, and get the real paint (or just buy a new tank cover) if it failed, since the original / Colorrite paint was so expensive, and to be honest, Dupli-Color Shadow Gray Metallic for Ford paint was dang near a perfect match. If you know the tank cover's been painted, you can kind of tell. If you see the bike in the sun, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. My wife and another biker buddy couldn't tell.

I used epoxy on the back of the plastic with Baking Soda as a filler / kicker, and I used krazy glue with baking soda on the outside area, sanded, glazed, primed the entire cover, and painted. There was a couple tiny little spots that needed 1 more filling session in the side view painted pic, but I forgot to take another pic after the final prep.

Figured I'd post my repairs just so you guys can see how it turned out ;)

20150105_184648.jpg20150105_184720.jpg20150105_191527.jpg20150106_204901.jpg20150106_204910.jpg20150109_225559.jpg20150109_234640.jpg20150117_172814.jpg20150117_173125.jpg20150117_173512.jpg

Last edited:

myklobe

Wow nice! I thought you were screwed when I looked at the first pic. How long did it take you? Very nice work...

Thanks! It really didn't take that long. Probably less than 2 hours total time of actually working on it. I spread it over 3 days to let all the chunks dry.

Day 1 - Bent the plastic back as straight as I could, then set the pieces and epoxy / Krazy Glued them (just a few mins to set it and let it sit over night to dry).
Day 2 - Sanded the epoxy / Krazy Glue and then I did a few layers of glaze. A couple mins a piece. Glaze dried in about 5 mins a coat.
Day 3 - Final sand, 3 primer coats, 4 super light base coats (didn't want it to run), 3 top coats. Each coat I let dry for 3-5 mins a piece. Waiting was the longest time.

And jmsandy77, I know it was a bit of work for a $130 part, but it cost me under $20... I like to DIY as much as I can, and actually enjoy this kind of work. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I have time on my hands at night, might as well try first :)

TorontoAlex

I would choose the $20 route, then probably screw it all up, spend another $50, realize im not capable of doing this, THEN spend $130 for a new part.

myklobe

I would choose the $20 route, then probably screw it all up, spend another $50, realize im not capable of doing this, THEN spend $130 for a new part.

LOL Fair enough. I just really wanted to try and fix it to see if I could do it without it looking like crap. If it breaks again, I'll just pony up for the real piece. I guess I lucked out ;)

FZ8Ryder

Amazing work myklobe. I've done something like that with my old bike. I just used epoxy and sanded and painted. I'm with you on the DIY. Way more fun and great knowledge to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk