Marker Light wiring scheme??

Jbomb

I have some LED lights I gotfrom DPM but there are just 2 wires... Yellow and black. How do I wire them into the 3 wires on the front OEM wires?

hypo

yellow is going to be your running light, and black should be your ground... so ground is easy, then you just need to find yourself a running light wire to tap into with the yellow. I usually run all my taps back to a common area and add the tap there.

djcecil

you have a hot marker, hot signal, and a ground the ground is same left and right, the marker is also same color left and right, the signal wires are dif color left and right. now on a semi they will wire the pole lights on bumper to both hot wires to give a marker light that shorts (blinks) when turn signal is applied. most of us are opting for a signal light so connect to ground to black and left positive is red and right positive is green. that was looking behind light still connected so not 1000% positve. just check before you button everything up again to make sure all works well.

Jbomb

I'm an electrical dummy... Haha
So the 2 OEM hot wires go to my new +
ground goes to my new - ?
I don't wanna screw it up or blow fuses or anything...

I appreciate you guys responding so quick... I got it torn apart sitting here

Jbomb

FYI... I'm replacing the front Marker/Turn Lights with LEDs. Should be a complete changeout so I just need to know how I turn the 3 wires from the bike into the 2 wires on the new lights

djcecil

12v and led lights are pretty bulletproof, either you wire correct and works, or does not. i have a semi so i wire all kinds of led lights up on it. your led lights are simply a signal so the red green are signal, and the black is ground.

Jbomb

Alright screw it.. I'm cutting wires and seeing what works. I can turn these new lights into Running/Turn Lights though, yeah?

Jbomb

I got Blue/Brown/Black from Left and Blue/Green/Black from the Right...

Obviously the black goes to my new Ground on each side...
Then the other 2 get wired to my new Hot...?

djcecil

like i put above, on other applications the marker and signal hooked to your two wires should make a constant on (ignoring the bike ground wire), signal power will cause a short = blinking marker light. mine are hooked up as signal only though, and the front will short while the rear blinks so it will be an opposite reaction (so left will blink front/back/front/back instead of left side/left side.

Jbomb

Well Trial and Error has led me to the conclusion that this is not a possibility. I'd have to either run a separate Running light on each side or get lights that are made for this application with Running/Blinker/Ground wires coming out of them...

Thanks for the advice though guys

hypo

sorry I didn't check back fast enough. if you only got 2 wires, then you cannot do RTB (run turn brake) :( sorry bruddah.

Jbomb

It's all good bro.. Foun out the hard way... Haha headed to O'Reilly's or somewhere to grab fuses and see if they happen to carry similar lights. At least I know exactly what I'm looking for now! Haha

lothodon

Super Moderator
i've been into bikes for a LONG time and i've not found any led turn signals that also have a running light component. it's one or the other from what i've found.

for the led turn signals you are probably (not saying they aren't available) going to have to give up your running lights.

btw, you wouldn't want to connect BOTH positives to the led's single positive wire. the running light positive wire will not be used in an led turn signal setup. positive to positive, ground (negative) to ground.

H

Hoover

Did you buy the led relay also? If not, you are going to have flashing issues.
You can go with resistors but LP makes a plug in relay that simplifies the whole deal.

djcecil

lotodon believe it or not on big truck lights they actually will have you hook to both posiive to operate always on and the signal causing a short to make light blink. i would not have put that had i not already followed inst and wired up lights that way, but like you i thought it was completly wrong. but i hated the way the short causes the lights to blink off when other signals are on, so i switched them all to just be marker lights (trucks) i think the bikes look better with just a headlight anyway and would not have purchased a three wire light had the option been there.

lothodon

Super Moderator
true, but intentional shorting by design is a bad idea. granted under low voltages it's not major but it's just a poor design imo.