Mano's Mods

C

Camo

A mate of mine has the Rizoma grips and they just feel all wrong for my big hands but I dig those levers man!
How do they feel?

mano1192

Grips are a bit slippery when just using your index and thumb, which I do alot. Habbit from my dirtbike racing days. Grips are very comfortable and the levers are amazing! Much more control, I now use 1 finger for brake, its such an improvement over stock. Clutch side is a little awkward for me right now as Ive always used a long clutch and shorty brake, but Im adjusting quickly. I actually have been shifting better with the new clutch adjustment I did at lunch. Overall almost zero play in the levers, great quality. Grips are slick looking and high quality also. Overall very happy. Now to swap the bars, thinking of going Rizoma black bars with Rizoma risers....

mano1192

Maybe i missed it, but how is the Yamaha windscreen?

Windscreen is great for highway, gets the wind up near your upper chest and helmet. Its still a naked and you feel anything over 75 pretty good. To be honest after you learn to always squeeze your knees wind is not much of a factor. Im considering taking it off to be honest as I prefer the look without it. Has a little more naked look to it. :cool:

mano1192

Finally my 2 year old went down for a nap and I was able to sneak away to the garage to install the seat covers. I must say I really did not anticipate myself doing such a crappy job, but overall it came out pretty good.

The seat covers themselves are bad ass, the install not so much. I have a spot in the back of the driver seat that I just couldnt get out for the life of me. Im gunna ride it for a while then try once it breaks in. I love the way it brings the gold to the back but not too much.

A nice matching touch would be a gold chain.... aaahhh you do one mod and it sparks ideas for spending yet MORE money :D

H

Hoover

I had the same problem when I fitted mine.
Use them for a month or so, then refit them.
If it helps, I used another pair of hands. One to pull it tight and one to fire the staple gun. Beat on the pad with the heel of your hand and force it tight.
Much better second time around.

mano1192

I had the same problem when I fitted mine.
Use them for a month or so, then refit them.
If it helps, I used another pair of hands. One to pull it tight and one to fire the staple gun. Beat on the pad with the heel of your hand and force it tight.
Much better second time around.

Yea Ill break it in a bit for a couple weeks and try again. Looks bad ass though! Makes me want to custom design a middle tank pad to match... :cool:

vargon09

Just ordered new Fren Turbo Kevlar brake line kit! They are not available on the site, but they can order them: Fren Tubo Type 3 Kevlar Brake Lines for FZ1 01-05, PJ's Parts

These should increase braking significantly, Im looking forward to the improvement as I had a close call the other day and really need better brake performance. In my opinion brake speed on the street is one of the most important mods you can make.

Hi there! Any chance of a quick walk through with switching out the brakes? I want to order them but will the FZ1 model work for our bikes? Or is there the inevitable "modding" to make the switch from fz1 to fz8? Thanks for the help!

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Yea Ill break it in a bit for a couple weeks and try again. Looks bad ass though! Makes me want to custom design a middle tank pad to match... :cool:

FWIW I have always found that letting covers and such sit in the sun and get nice and hot before stretching can make a world of difference. Overall would you say its pretty well made though? been thinking about getting one as well but I reshaped the foam on my passenger seat and Im afraid it wont fit now.

mano1192

Oh they are top notch quality and I hate cheap shit. I will buy the same parts from 3 vendors if I have to to find quality components, hence the reason why my bike is a nothing but Rizoma. The seat almost looks like a carbon fiber look in the sun, it's a great made product. The fit does look better than originally and I don't even think I'll need to refit it at this point.

Thanks for the tip on warming it up first makes too much sense!