lower handlebars

Bill

Anybody changed out there bars , would like to have them a little lower , can someone tell me what brand they may have changed to
Thanks Bill

Larry P

I bought the renthal ultra-low street bars. I had to dremel down the control plastics since the bar doesn't come pre-drilled or anything. I used tape to keep them from moving. They're lighter and sturdier. I don't use bar ends or anything.

Woody146

Banned
I changed to speigler lsl aluminum bars...I got them in superbike bend which is about an inch or so lower and more pulled back...I drilled holes in the new bars because I didn't want to grind the peg off the controls.

DanS

Commuter
I have FZ1 flat bars with 1" risers. I only had to drill one hole for the throttle cable clamp, the other two predrilled holes for the switch packs lined up just right.

funnelli

I bought the renthal ultra-low street bars. I had to dremel down the control plastics since the bar doesn't come pre-drilled or anything. I used tape to keep them from moving. They're lighter and sturdier. I don't use bar ends or anything.

Same old question but do you have any tank clearance issues or have excess cable issues please? Used renthals on a bandit and really like them, I assume the bar diameter is a standard size? Thanks

Teslank

if i didnt had my fz1 front cartridge i could install a fz1 straight handlebar without the risers! grrrr

is the position with the 1 inch risers better?, lower?, what feeling you get when cruising?, when speeding or doing curves?

thanks for the input :)

SouthPaw88

I put a set of Renthal Twinwall McGrath bars and clamps on, made a world of difference being that I am 6'4" so have really long arms. They are a really wide and low but still have a tiny bit of sweep so is really good on the wrists and it feels a lot more natural when tucking under the screen and going for it compared to the standard bars. Only had to grind down the locator tabs on the switch gear etc, and no need to get longer brake lines (though they are on the list of future upgrades!)

funnelli

I put a set of Renthal Twinwall McGrath bars and clamps on, made a world of difference being that I am 6'4" so have really long arms. They are a really wide and low but still have a tiny bit of sweep so is really good on the wrists and it feels a lot more natural when tucking under the screen and going for it compared to the standard bars. Only had to grind down the locator tabs on the switch gear etc, and no need to get longer brake lines (though they are on the list of future upgrades!)

When you say clamps do you mean the top bar on the bars or the risers that hold the bars to the top yoke? Also are the bars the standard diameter of the originals for a straight swap please? Thanks

SouthPaw88

When you say clamps do you mean the top bar on the bars or the risers that hold the bars to the top yoke? Also are the bars the standard diameter of the originals for a straight swap please? Thanks

By bar clamps I mean the risers that hold the bars to the top yoke. The factory bars are 7/8" (22.2mm) diameter where as the twinwall have a 1 1/8" (28.6mm) diameter mid section so I needed the larger risers.

Here[/URL] is a link to the twinwall Renthals, they give you a good range of bars, some that are the "standard" diameter so you would not need to change the risers, but if you wanted a fatbar they have a good range of them too (the twinwall bar series is actually a "dirt" bar but it does the job real nice!)

http://www.renthal.com/shop/mx-products/handlebars/twinwall

Last edited:

DanS

Commuter
if i didnt had my fz1 front cartridge i could install a fz1 straight handlebar without the risers! grrrr

is the position with the 1 inch risers better?, lower?, what feeling you get when cruising?, when speeding or doing curves?

thanks for the input :)
I like the FZ1 bars, lower and a little bit more forward riding position which I find more comfortable. I think it handles a little better too, turns in easier. Without risers the bars will not clear the tank. I used one inch risers that I bought from twisted throttle, I think the 7/8"risers would be the absolute minimum you could get by with. At full turn there's a slight finger pinch between the tank and bars.

Larry P

Same old question but do you have any tank clearance issues or have excess cable issues please? Used renthals on a bandit and really like them, I assume the bar diameter is a standard size? Thanks

No clearance issues or excess cables. At full lock turned to the right it gets a bit tight (inch or less?) but doesn't touch or make you remove your hand.