looking for a stand/lift that is good for changing the rear shock

RoadKill

As the Title says i'm looking for a solid stand to change the rear shock when i need to service etc. I do not have a garage with rafters so that is out of the question. i want a lift that is small but stable and not too pricey.

cpatt

when i did the shock in my buell i did it with it on the ground. i put a car jack. small bottel jack in between the tire and the bottem of the passenger seat. just jacked it up till it fit. wasnt the easiest but it worked and i used the jack from my truck so it was also free

HenryT

As the Title says i'm looking for a solid stand to change the rear shock when i need to service etc. I do not have a garage with rafters so that is out of the question. i want a lift that is small but stable and not too pricey.

Your garage im guessing the ceiling is finished with drywall? Well if that's the case just run 2 HD Eye/J hooks into the ceiling joist (rafters to use your term) and suspend the rear of the bike that way.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
It's ghetto but I used a series of scissor jacks, car jacks and jackstands against my engine cage and frame to unload the suspension...

2trax4me

I got this one on sale a couple years ago for 70. I used it everytime I had to swap out my tires from road to knobbies for my KLR. I use it for everything now, even a dolly for moving heavy stuff around. Built well, don't let the Harbor freight scare you

1500 lb. Capacity ATV/Motorcycle Lift

alexk

Weekend Rider
I know everyone's focusing on lifts and hoists, but is there a reason the Yamaha Center Stand won't work?

I have one on my bike, and it completely unloads the rear suspension, with an inch under the rear tire. If I were to remove the rear tire, I could easily access the rear suspension components. I can also completely unload the front by adding just a few pounds to the tail.

You can find the center stand online. Amazon has it for [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-39P-F71A0-V0-00-Center-Stand-FZ8/dp/B005GEEASI"]$170 shipped[/ame], but I think you can probably find it for $140 if you look around for part # 39P-F71A0-V0-00

RoadKill

I know everyone's focusing on lifts and hoists, but is there a reason the Yamaha Center Stand won't work?

I have one on my bike, and it completely unloads the rear suspension, with an inch under the rear tire. If I were to remove the rear tire, I could easily access the rear suspension components. I can also completely unload the front by adding just a few pounds to the tail.

You can find the center stand online. Amazon has it for $170 shipped, but I think you can probably find it for $140 if you look around for part # 39P-F71A0-V0-00

i went ahead and ordered the center stand. it is the cheapest option that will get the most use i think. thanks for the firsthand exp!

RoadKill

Those side stands are bad ass, that's exactly what I want in a stand, time to start saving

if you are talking about the MOTOMFG one, they are sold out of the FZ8 versions and they will not know if they are going to continue making the one for the FZ8 because of low demand. the only other option for the side lift is the Bursig and it is close to $700 with wheels and is shipped out of California.

I love those stands but $700 is not worth it to me. the MOTOMFG copy would be ok but now they might be discontinued.

http://www.bursigusa.com/index.php/shop2/product/view/1/1

Last edited:

pigdog

loosen shock nuts, gently lay bike down on a piece of carpet, cushions & t-shirts. remove fasteners/shock. reverse directions for assembly. There, just like the shop manual (except for the cushions)

Rotaryknight

I just use two scissor jacks on each side of the frame, and slowly and evenly raise them.

Was looking at that black widow stand some months ago...would be great if they had an adapter plate for the FZ8 frame : /

RoadKill

i ended up going with an FZ8 center stand, and i just take off the swinging stand part when i am done with it. It doesn't look that good with it on IMO.

yamahaha

I'm not sure if it will work on our bike, I haven't looked yet. But on previous bikes you can flip the rider pegs upside down and put jack stands under them.

NoNine4me

Maybe someone already mentioned this, but you can use a sturdy utility (A-frame) style ladder large enough to spread out over the rear of the bike, and used ratchet-type tie-downs to lift her up. That's how I did my shock. Be sure the front of the bike is secured!!! Rear tire only just barely needs to clear the ground enough to take the pressure off the shock mounting bolts.

NoNine4me

i went ahead and ordered the center stand. it is the cheapest option that will get the most use i think. thanks for the firsthand exp!
Good job on that. Keep in mind your cornering clearance will be affected by this, after the feelers hit the next thing is gonna be the center stand. You don't want to be hitting that down. I don't even drag pegs (tend to hang off a bit and ride real smooth) but occasionally it does happen depending on the rider weight, the road, etc. Be safe out there.