Looking for a spot to ride in mid March (sw states)

shadowman

Hey guys, it looks like I may have some time to kill in the middle of March and I'm looking to ride. I'm wondering how far south I have to go. I'm in the Toronto area, so I will be trailering the bike. I know the weather will be great in Florida, but the roads are a bit too flat and straight.
I'm wondering what Deal's Gap would be like in March? I'm sure it wouldn't be too crowded, but I'm wondering what the weather would be like?
I do have heated gear and I don't mind cool weather, I actually prefer cool to hot, but I'm not into cold rain.
I'm looking for a spot I could drive to in one day (12-16hrs) park my trailer and either ride from there for a few days, or just do day trips from there, if there are lots of local roads to explore.
Anyone with any advice or suggestions, as far as riding areas, lodging, restaurants, etc, please chime in.

ssky0078

Sounds like a good plan to me. Youtube "Deal's Gap March" and there are a number of videos up but it looks cold. I'm sure if you got warm gear from riding in the frozen north you won't have a problem.

I would say come to Arizona we have the best weather in March (High 70-80s and low in 50-60s). It's amazing here from March till May. This is when we get all the tourist down because they are sick of their cold crappy winters.

shadowman

Sounds like a good plan to me. Youtube "Deal's Gap March" and there are a number of videos up but it looks cold. I'm sure if you got warm gear from riding in the frozen north you won't have a problem.

I would say come to Arizona we have the best weather in March (High 70-80s and low in 50-60s). It's amazing here from March till May. This is when we get all the tourist down because they are sick of their cold crappy winters.

Thanks ssky, I checked out some of the "Deals Gap in March" videos. It doesn't really look too cold to me...the grass is green, and some of the vids show the leaves out! I'd love to hear from some people that live in the area.
Arizona would be a fair bit of a drive. Deals Gap is about 1400 km for me, Scottsdale is about 3600 km. (875 miles vs 2250 miles) I would really like to keep it to one days drive.

ssky0078

Thanks ssky, I checked out some of the "Deals Gap in March" videos. It doesn't really look too cold to me...the grass is green, and some of the vids show the leaves out! I'd love to hear from some people that live in the area.
Arizona would be a fair bit of a drive. Deals Gap is about 1400 km for me, Scottsdale is about 3600 km. (875 miles vs 2250 miles) I would really like to keep it to one days drive.

I would agree 100% with you about making the drive to AZ it's really far. I'm just happy that my best riding season is coming up. I'm tired of the cold and rain (I know all you people up north have it 100 times worse), and want some warm sunny days.

krillz

Deals gap is about 3 hours from me. It will be cool but not cold, rain is hit or miss just like any month really.

shadowman

Deals gap is about 3 hours from me. It will be cool but not cold, rain is hit or miss just like any month really.

Thanks for the reply krillz. Is March weather fairly stable down there? Up here March can be really cold and snowy, or it can be gorgeous. Last year I did an 8 hour ride in March, and I turned off my heated gear a half hour into it!
If I can pretty much count on daytime highs of 60 degrees, that works great for me.

krillz

Thanks for the reply krillz. Is March weather fairly stable down there? Up here March can be really cold and snowy, or it can be gorgeous. Last year I did an 8 hour ride in March, and I turned off my heated gear a half hour into it!
If I can pretty much count on daytime highs of 60 degrees, that works great for me.

Most days are nice once the sun comes out. Last year I went in March and it was 50-60. If your wanting some good riding then it wont bother you. An yes its fairly stable.

shadowman

Most days are nice once the sun comes out. Last year I went in March and it was 50-60. If your wanting some good riding then it wont bother you. An yes its fairly stable.

Thanks again krillz. That sounds good to me. I'd prefer to keep an eye on the weather, and book something last minute, (a day or two before I want to go) I'm assuming that in March, last minute accommodations are not problem?

krillz

Thanks again krillz. That sounds good to me. I'd prefer to keep an eye on the weather, and book something last minute, (a day or two before I want to go) I'm assuming that in March, last minute accommodations are not problem?

I highly doubt its a issue. Theres lots of safe places to stay. I say safe because in Myrtle Beach SC scumbags will touch, spit, flick cigs or steal your bike. Not a lot but it happens.
Come on down, have fun and be safe.

Last edited: